McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: McLaren MCL34

What you’re saying is that 0.5 sec behind last years ferrari (essentially) is a bad thing?
I’m delighted with what I’m seeing. Development is being added which means they’re happy with the base. Car looks stable. Great in high speed. So far so good!

mwillems

According to Zak Brown when being interviewed on Sky, the Renault PU delivered exactly what Renault said it would. He actually went on to say we have the power we need...

I look forward to seeing how close we are to the front after qualifying tomorrow. This update could bring decent time. There is also still a lot of room for development on the car. Interesting to see that Red Bull and Mercedes now also have the slots behind the Halo to release some of the air from the sidepods and energise the flow around the car. I'm not sure how much time this would bring but I'd like to think it isn't a big job to implement and might be a quick win.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Mar 2019, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

gtm1260
gtm1260

Flow-Viz on the bargeboard updates today in FP1

trinidefender
trinidefender

Does this car even have any under nose turning vanes? I haven't seen any pictures of any since the car was launched.

f1rules
f1rules

nicolas carpentiers
@NicolasF1i
20m20 minutes ago

trinidefender
trinidefender

Another difference is the metal vertical parts that close the gap between the non adjustable outer section and the adjustable inner section are placed differently where the metal part meets the adjustable inner section of the wing.

The wing in the lower picture will be able to be adjusted upwards far more than in the top picture before there is any separation of the two vertical metal tabs.

It seems that this was done to create more downforce as maybe they were running out of adjustment on their front wing previously.

diffuser

f1rules wrote:
29 Mar 2019, 17:37
nicolas carpentiers
@NicolasF1i
20m20 minutes ago
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D21dy6NWoAAaPg1.jpg
Wow the driver seat has a drill holder!

diffuser

the rake is back!

Tzk
Tzk

diffuser wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 00:19
the rake is back!
Uhm, was it gone? I didn't pay attention in testing and AUS...

trinidefender
trinidefender

Tzk wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 00:28
diffuser wrote:
the rake is back!
Don't think so. People just thought so because the release renders showed very little rake.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

trinidefender wrote:
Tzk wrote:
diffuser wrote:
the rake is back!
Don't think so. People just thought so because the release renders showed very little rake.
Yes, there was an analysis by AMuS if I’m not wrong where they analyzed the rake of the cars during week one of testing and even then, the Mclaren was in the middle in terms of rake compared to the rest of the cars... Although lower rake and larger wheelbase compared to last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 04:04
trinidefender wrote:
Tzk wrote:

Yes, there was an analysis by AMuS if I’m not wrong where they analyzed the rake of the cars during week one of testing and even then, the Mclaren was in the middle in terms of rake compared to the rest of the cars... Although lower rake and larger wheelbase compared to last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AMuS just another sports magazine... just cos they say it, doesn’t mean it’s true

DiogoBrand

That also depends on what you look at. If the wheelbase is longer, it's unlikely that they'll be able to seal the floor if they use the same rake angle since same angle plus longer wheelbase equals higher diffuser. It's more likely that they reduced the angle but kept the height of the diffuser more or less the same.

mclaren111

No opening on top off sidepod for cooling... Must be confident with cooling solutions...

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 09:36
https://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... oard-1.jpg

No opening on top off sidepod for cooling... Must be confident with cooling solutions...
I've seen in a couple of analyses that this also energises the air around the sidepod whilst allowing for a tighter back end, However, in the red bull thread they say it is just cooling.

So is it just cooling? Ferrari have had this since Barcelona and to increase cooling in Aus they opened up the back end a bit.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit