McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: McLaren MCL34

It's possible they are struggling to get front end grip due to the change in frontend suspension geometry. If that is the case, there should be "low hanging fruit" to be found in suspension setup.

M840TR
M840TR

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 09:38
It's possible they are struggling to get front end grip due to the change in frontend suspension geometry. If that is the case, there should be "low hanging fruit" to be found in suspension setup.
Sainz did say it might get fixed by finding the right balance so it may be just down to understanding the car better.

zibby43
zibby43

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Even cooler video! Looks like Carlos lost those six one-hundredths at the last corner! Had a bit of oversteer there. The car does look very fast in the straights. The car looks very promising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ptvx7qqCr8

M840TR
M840TR

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 10:38
Even cooler video! Looks like Carlos lost those six one-hundredths at the last corner! Had a bit of oversteer there. The car does look very fast in the straights. The car looks very promising!

Also, faster than the Redbull on the straights.

Marc.W

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 10:38

One thing I notice is how early Carlos is able to go full throttle compared to Max, really good traction

f1rules
f1rules

an observation, looking around a bit, i found there is one area where mclaren is different from all other cars, mclaren raise their fw mainplane outer sections earlier and more then others, this aids the rear? with more clean air while compromising front df a bit or? i quess the more mainplane closer to the ground, the more front df created?.
Also considering recent stories of a front limited car
compared to rb

M840TR
M840TR

f1rules wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 15:34
an observation, looking around a bit, i found there is one area where mclaren is different from all other cars, mclaren raise their fw mainplane outer sections earlier and more then others, this aids the rear? with more clean air while compromising front df a bit or? i quess the more mainplane closer to the ground, the more front df created?.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3xfV6YWkAA4Oxp.jpg
compared to rb
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... nt-win.jpg
This is to direct air towards the strakes underneath which would've otherwise been somewhat blocked by the mainplane. The vortexes they form help generate outwash.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

f1rules wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 15:34
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3xfV6YWkAA4Oxp.jpg
compared to rb
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... nt-win.jpg
I do not think it is that much different. Check out the picture below, to my untrained eye, McLaren's front wing looks like a lovechild of Red Bulls (lower part) and Ferrari's (upper part). Each wing is quite unique but it doesn't seem that out of the ordinary.

f1rules
f1rules

thats a nice comparison thanks , i still think mclarens maine plane and raised outer sections differ from the rest, it starts earlier which costs front df, im not saing its wrong, its just an observation

Secondly, the front wing operates in ‘ground effect’. This is the phenomenon whereby as the proximity between ground and the front wing diminishes, an enhancement in downforce level is observed at an exponential rate (that is until the wing ‘stalls’ – more on this in the next article). Ground effect increases the efficiency of downforce production and is partly why the latest trend is to run the car at extreme rake (i.e low front ride height and high rear ride height means the front wing sits closer to the ground).

DiogoBrand

f1rules wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 21:46
thats a nice comparison thanks , i still think mclarens maine plane and raised outer sections differ from the rest, it starts earlier which costs front df, im not saing its wrong, its just an observation
I also think that costs a bit of downforce, but most front wings this year, if not all of them, have some sort of compromise on downforce, as they also did in previous years. Downforce is far from being their only function.

f1rules
f1rules

yeah agree, i know the fw basicly decides the effectiveness of the rest of the car. So mclarens design is working well =D>
If we take into consideration, though, that with the flat outer wing elements(except rb, merc), to help outwash, that the ones with this layout maybe rely even more on the ground effect of the frontwing?. Quess it will be interesting to see, if mclaren with the introduction of a high df rearwing will include a frontwing with less raised outer sections or if they solve through higher AoA on the wing elements
DiogoBrand wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 21:56
f1rules wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 21:46
I also think that costs a bit of downforce, but most front wings this year, if not all of them, have some sort of compromise on downforce, as they also did in previous years. Downforce is far from being their only function.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Hard to tell from the picture... But it looks like it is the same rear wing as in the previous grand prix’s

Vía Albert Fabrega Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1rules
f1rules

yeah they will probably continue with this for the next two gps, maybe even wait til monaco with a high df version