McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL34

GoranF1 wrote:Thank you....i still think budget allows teams like Mercedes to look at multiple concepts at the same time and thus developing faster.
Definitely... The amount of engineers / designers should have proportional effect on the speed of your developments... The more people looking at a part, looking at the data and coming with new ideas should definitely help... But, having a larger budget doesn’t ensure that you will be faster (look at teams like a Racing Point or Haas, that have an smaller budget than Mclaren and nevertheless have produced very good cars.

But, going back to the original comment in regards to complexity... More complexity doesn’t equal a better design... The Ferrari seems to be way simpler than the Mercedes and both are pretty fast cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
09 May 2019, 19:26
@andrewbensonf1
8m8 minutes ago
More
Renault have an upgraded internal combustion engine this weekend. F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul said they are "aiming to put on all four cars but this is going to be tight. More power, plus more reliable after what happened in Bahrain. Took a conservative approach on power in Baku."
I think McLaren should hold out till Canada, if there's no risk of PU failure. If they can handle Baku, while being conservative, then Barcelona and Monaco should be doable without too much of a disadvantage. To stay in sync would be an advantage.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ground Effect wrote:
09 May 2019, 19:47
I think McLaren should hold out till Canada, if there's no risk of PU failure. If they can handle Baku, while being conservative, then Barcelona and Monaco should be doable without too much of a disadvantage. To stay in sync would be an advantage.
It sounds like it's basically baked-in fixes for the MGU-K controller unit so they can use it all the time in without running the control unit with limits on it.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
09 May 2019, 19:47
It sounds like it's basically baked-in fixes for the MGU-K controller unit so they can use it all the time in without running the control unit with limits on it.
PhillipM, is the change on the controller itself? Wouldn’t a change in the controller not trigger the need for a new unit or other changes? Why are they using a complete a new PU? (Renault)

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser

daren_p wrote:
09 May 2019, 19:20
GoranF1 wrote:
09 May 2019, 19:14
Still quite underdeveloped in that area compared to top teams....it seem that ever since this rules were introduced, there is progress, but always a step behind Merc and co.(complexity wise)
Is that budget problem or lack of design idea? I would think budget.
My guess would be due to the fundamental flaw with last years chassis, their barge boards basically didn't get any development so they started this year on the back foot & likely wanted to start this year with a more basic concept to verify the concept. With budget they will still likely be behind the front runners in this area but one would assume they will close some of the gap this year (if the new bits work as planned)
Really they where already 1 year behind last year if you compared them to RBR. RBR has been doing just little tweaks in that area this year (from what I've seen). I'm hoping that the change of regs have allowed them to catch up.

I really like what we've done, using the RBR approach. With the exposed crash structure and the sidepod starting further back instead of just making the car longer, Mercedes Approach.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Is it me or the render shot has more updates than the actual car? But aight, it's only Thursday.

f1rules
f1rules

nope the render shows exactly what has been introduced in real

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:nope the render shows exactly what has been introduced in real
It’s not uncommon for teams to not show all of their updates on Thursday... We could see a few more things tomorrow (although, the updates for the MCL34 seem to all be there between both cars)

f1rules
f1rules

yeah, youre right
there are two diffuser pictures on amus but i think they are both same car and with old version

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 09 May 2019, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

f1rules wrote:
09 May 2019, 20:50
nope the render shows exactly what has been introduced in real
Ah aight, I thought the bits indicated on this pic weren't there but the last pic posted above shows that as well. Thanks.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
09 May 2019, 20:36
daren_p wrote:
09 May 2019, 19:20
GoranF1 wrote:
09 May 2019, 19:14
Still quite underdeveloped in that area compared to top teams....it seem that ever since this rules were introduced, there is progress, but always a step behind Merc and co.(complexity wise)
Is that budget problem or lack of design idea? I would think budget.
My guess would be due to the fundamental flaw with last years chassis, their barge boards basically didn't get any development so they started this year on the back foot & likely wanted to start this year with a more basic concept to verify the concept. With budget they will still likely be behind the front runners in this area but one would assume they will close some of the gap this year (if the new bits work as planned)
Really they where already 1 year behind last year if you compared them to RBR. RBR has been doing just little tweaks in that area this year (from what I've seen). I'm hoping that the change of regs have allowed them to catch up.

I really like what we've done, using the RBR approach. With the exposed crash structure and the sidepod starting further back instead of just making the car longer, Mercedes Approach.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6IxYu3WwAAA_eS.jpg
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tail-1.jpg
https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/R ... 546190.jpg
I would imagine that only when they have the solution they want in place will they begin to refine and add the graceful curvature and revisions of the top solutions (Mercs aside, that appears to be another level).

Money aside, it will take time at the very least to run the solutions, test and evolve them before they can contemplate the flourishes that complete the solution in that area.

Maybe money will hinder us at some point, mainly when it comes to developing next years car in tandem with this years, but I would think right now our only hindrance is last years lack of development. For me the pace of change at Mclaren seems quite fast at this point. We are yet to see if it works however.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

f1rules
f1rules

interesting detail i just noticed now, the mclaren bargeboard is mounted pretty far in on the t-tray, i dont think the others do