McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL34

It’s amazing how much the bargeboard area has evolved for Mclaren this year... Below a picture of what I think was one of the last iterations of the MCL33 bargeboard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1rules
f1rules

ok last one today :-)

Jackles-UK

Fairly unscientific (but interesting nonetheless) comparison of the MCL34 at launch and at Barcelona.

godlameroso

Jackles-UK wrote:
10 May 2019, 02:16
Fairly unscientific (but interesting nonetheless) comparison of the MCL34 at launch and at Barcelona.

https://i.ibb.co/4SDRRYh/24567-D50-0095 ... BA5-BC.jpg
It certainly shows a steady iteration on what is fundamentally a solid car. This car will slowly but surely start closing the gap, although it is still a tall gap. The people coming on-board can certainly make a difference, however the foundation of the team is still good. There are tons of details that make up the whole car package, McLaren just has to prove to themselves that they have the ability to focus on more of those details with the resources they have available.

The way the car and the drivers are progressing is encouraging, and the pace is genuine, it hasn't been flattered, in fact they're still a dark horse and I feel they will not be beaten by anyone without a works deal.
Saishū kōnā

Lucky
Lucky

M840TR
M840TR

Jackles-UK wrote:
10 May 2019, 02:16

https://i.ibb.co/4SDRRYh/24567-D50-0095 ... BA5-BC.jpg
The launch renders weren’t accurate. That fw isn’t real.

f1rules
f1rules

As with any aerodynamic upgrade, we don’t necessarily want to run it in just one configuration. The update isn’t always just about adding total downforce but sometimes about how that downforce is spread across the operating range. We’ll do investigations and generally explore the set-up space.

11:06
WILL JOSEPH
FP1 is purely an aerodynamic investigation, and whatever we decide is the best combination of bits will go forward into FP2. We have enough parts for both cars to run the new package, so after gathering data, both cars will get the upgrade for FP2.

11:05
WILL JOSEPH
The way we’re working today is for Lando to run the entire new upgrade in FP1, and Carlos run the old package to do a comparison as best we can across the cars.

_cerber1

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

What a difference a year makes. Fingers crossed those upgrades deliver!!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:As with any aerodynamic upgrade, we don’t necessarily want to run it in just one configuration. The update isn’t always just about adding total downforce but sometimes about how that downforce is spread across the operating range. We’ll do investigations and generally explore the set-up space.

WILL JOSEPH
FP1 is purely an aerodynamic investigation, and whatever we decide is the best combination of bits will go forward into FP2. We have enough parts for both cars to run the new package, so after gathering data, both cars will get the upgrade for FP2.

WILL JOSEPH
The way we’re working today is for Lando to run the entire new upgrade in FP1, and Carlos run the old package to do a comparison as best we can across the cars.
Even though times aren’t important in FP... Interesting that Carlos with the old package was considerably faster than Lando

mclaren111

I did see Lando go out very late with the old FW with lots of flow viz...

Edit: Looked more like Ferrari FW...
Last edited by mclaren111 on 10 May 2019, 14:55, edited 2 times in total.

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 May 2019, 14:30
f1rules wrote:As with any aerodynamic upgrade, we don’t necessarily want to run it in just one configuration. The update isn’t always just about adding total downforce but sometimes about how that downforce is spread across the operating range. We’ll do investigations and generally explore the set-up space.

WILL JOSEPH

WILL JOSEPH
Even though times aren’t important in FP... Interesting that Carlos with the old package was considerably faster than Lando

I read that Lando had a higher fuel load. Besides they were evaluating the new parts on his car. It's not a surprise he was much slower (maybe they were simultaneously evaluating the engine upgrade with Sainz's car, running it at higher power modes with lower fuel load; we don't know all those details).

I wish the difference between Grosjean and Sainz's times are representative. If that's the case, Haas' new car is only two tenths faster than Mclaren's old spec car, and McLaren's updated car could be at least as fast as the Haas, and we will again have a chance of being the best of the rest this weekend.

Alas, we can find out only in qualy.

f1rules
f1rules

f1rules
f1rules

f1rules
f1rules