McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Bisonas

Re: McLaren MCL34

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but it may prove difficult for Mclaren to quick unlock and fine tune the new philosophy its trying to adopt, with the new inboard-loaded fw. Lots of things will have to change on how the aero front to back will be working, and finding the sweet spot on setup may not be so easy in FPs.
What i am saying is that there is a possibility for Mclaren to switch both cars to old fw and aero concept, and wait for Barcelona test to fully understand and unlock the new fw philosophy and aero.
I hope this isn't the case , but i will be really impressed with the team, if they manage to correctly fine tune such a change in aero philosophy using only 3 FPs.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

I understood none of the McLs and only one Renault have the updated PU today, though all of them will have it tomorrow

EDIT: I found where I saw it:

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1126805487926808582

Nivedanm wrote:
10 May 2019, 14:41
SmallSoldier wrote:
10 May 2019, 14:30
f1rules wrote:As with any aerodynamic upgrade, we don’t necessarily want to run it in just one configuration. The update isn’t always just about adding total downforce but sometimes about how that downforce is spread across the operating range. We’ll do investigations and generally explore the set-up space.

11:06
WILL JOSEPH
FP1 is purely an aerodynamic investigation, and whatever we decide is the best combination of bits will go forward into FP2. We have enough parts for both cars to run the new package, so after gathering data, both cars will get the upgrade for FP2.

11:05
WILL JOSEPH
The way we’re working today is for Lando to run the entire new upgrade in FP1, and Carlos run the old package to do a comparison as best we can across the cars.
Even though times aren’t important in FP... Interesting that Carlos with the old package was considerably faster than Lando

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I read that Lando had a higher fuel load. Besides they were evaluating the new parts on his car. It's not a surprise he was much slower (maybe they were simultaneously evaluating the engine upgrade with Sainz's car, running it at higher power modes with lower fuel load; we don't know all those details).

I wish the difference between Grosjean and Sainz's times are representative. If that's the case, Haas' new car is only two tenths faster than Mclaren's old spec car, and McLaren's updated car could be at least as fast as the Haas, and we will again have a chance of being the best of the rest this weekend.

Alas, we can find out only in qualy.
Last edited by dr_cooke on 10 May 2019, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

M840TR
M840TR

This upgrade places McLaren as one of the few teams to have not just brought major update, but to have switched aero philosophies. Even Mercedes’ update in week two of testing was not as big a change in direction as this one.

With change comes risk, such a major change may not work, but McLaren must have been confident that their pre-season predictions and the resulting reality of the early season package matched. If that correlation was accurate, then it stands to reason that this update should also perform as expected.

Such a drastic change must have brought gains in performance for McLaren to have taken such a drastic step, so their place in the midfield with its rival taking less drastic steps may been cemented with this change.
https://www.racefans.net/2019/05/10/ana ... 19-so-far/

f1rules
f1rules

Someone on autosport posted from mclaren live, update delivered expected and will be used on both cars

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

f1rules wrote:
10 May 2019, 15:49
Someone on autosport posted from mclaren live, update delivered expected and will be used on both cars
Yep, here's the full quote:
This morning's session went well. Lando's run with the updated aero package did what was expected of it, and this afternoon the updates are on both cars.

rccrdc
rccrdc

I can't understand which part of the car is that. Do you have any guesses?

MtthsMlw

rccrdc wrote:
10 May 2019, 19:37
Left to the rear wheel behind the outer section of the diffuser.

_cerber1

rccrdc wrote:
10 May 2019, 19:37
Diffuser, near the right wheel.

f1rules
f1rules

Could not find high res but there must be high res flowvis pics out there

Thunder

I moved some Laptime Talk to the Team Thread. Please keep it about the physical Aspects of the Car in this Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Morteza

I took these screenshots from the Autosport video discussing McLaren's updates

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon
roon

Remember when they tested a similar shape last year? Upward kink in the middle of the mainplane. No tunnel.

Following the rest of the field away from RB and Merc type tall outboard wings.

mclaren111

Why don't we have a T-Wing ?? Surely it will help with rear DF....

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Why stick it on if you can’t balance the car with front DF? I think what is telling about it is that the car must produce a great amount of rear DF already so bolting on more makes no sense until they find enough gain at the front end

Xero

mclaren111 wrote:
11 May 2019, 10:43
Why don't we have a T-Wing ?? Surely it will help with rear DF....
Rear downforce isn't an issue, it's front the car is missing.