2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Well, who can say that McLaren lacks PU this year? In my opinion with the power all is well.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ME4ME wrote:
18 May 2019, 18:54
Ground Effect wrote:
18 May 2019, 18:35
My worry is Renault, and by association, BP. How motivated are they, are they pushing with fuel and lubricants like Shell, Mobil etc are? With their chassis issues, (or maybe tyres) will PU development in terms of performance take a back seat?
In my opinion development doesn't stop or even slows down in one area just because the focus is on another. Not with individual units making up a team or a company as a whole. This is sometimes managers' what believe, working in their own bubble and in extention media and fans believe that this is what's going on within the team. In reality, engineers will continuesly keep working at solving problems within their area of experise. Renault will have hundreds of people working on the PU in Viry and hundreds of people working on the car in Enstone, one will not grind to a halt because the other is missing their objectives.

I do share your concern, from a Mclaren standpoint, if Renault really is comitted enough to make a top power unit. Personally I don't think they'll ever be nr1 or even nr2. But maybe that isn't ultimately required? Time will tell.
I agree with your perspective actually, makes plenty of sense. Hence my use of the word motivated. With Cyril spending most of the time frankly speaking, ( he uses frankly a lot) saying their budget is the size of Toro Rosso, McLaren have a few more hundred people than they do etc. You wonder how, even as the good people in Viry are pushing flat out, how much do they believe in this project? What can a manufacturer (engine and chassis) achieve with a Toro Rosso budget? If I were a customer, even if I were pushing for a cost cap, I’d be uncomfortable with Renault at the moment.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

RonDennis wrote:
18 May 2019, 15:17
M840TR wrote:
18 May 2019, 14:39
Bolsonaro (Brazilian President):
In 2018, Petrobrás signed an advertising contract of R $782 million ($19 million) with McLaren, valid for 5 years. At the moment, the company, by decision of my Government, seeks a way to terminate the contract. Good night, everyone!
https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/statu ... 5910747136

Firstly, I didn't know the agreement was this this much. Even if half of it goes to R&D that's still a decent sponsorship injection. Secondly, it's interesting he mentions the contract term of 5 years; maybe he's implying an inevitable pay in damages in case it's terminated prematurely. Let's see if his words materialize.
19 million? Are you sure? R$ 782 million is way, way more than that.

These guys won't stand a chance anyway, it's the reason why companies sign contracts, so that they can't leave whenever they feel like. They can leave, just pay the amount McLaren wants.
Apologies for the typo. Btw that's $191m for 5 years and $38m for 1 year including R&D.

_cerber1

McLaren pilot Carlos Sainz said that the power of the Renault engine is close to the engines of Mercedes and Ferrari. Recall that McLaren uses Renault engines.

"This year, Renault motorists were able to make progress, so we are much closer to the leaders in terms of power," says Sainz. - It seems to me that now only the Ferrari engine is ahead, but this applies only to the qualification regime. I do not want to name specific figures, but it is obvious that Renault has added great".

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
18 May 2019, 20:36
McLaren pilot Carlos Sainz said that the power of the Renault engine is close to the engines of Mercedes and Ferrari. Recall that McLaren uses Renault engines.

"This year, Renault motorists were able to make progress, so we are much closer to the leaders in terms of power," says Sainz. - It seems to me that now only the Ferrari engine is ahead, but this applies only to the qualification regime. I do not want to name specific figures, but it is obvious that Renault has added great".
May be close among all the engines, but still behind Honda, right? Even the usually reserved Honda guys have said they’re ahead of Renault.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
18 May 2019, 21:02
_cerber1 wrote:

May be close among all the engines, but still behind Honda, right? Even the usually reserved Honda guys have said they’re ahead of Renault.
I am sure that the Renault engine ahead of Honda.

Jackles-UK

On peak power output I reckon that all four engines are pretty close now, without doubt the closest they’ve been since the turbo-hybrid PU’s were introduced. The difference is that Mercedes & Ferrari have much better reliability than Renault & Honda so can run in higher modes more frequently to access their power more often during the weekend.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:45
mwillems wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:09
That would be title sponsor amounts almost, I cant believe it given their position on the car.
Makes you wonder how much McLaren would expect from a title sponsor deal. Though I read that Philip Morris deal for Ferrari is worth $160M per year. Not sure if the reporting is accurate. If it is, McLaren would probably seek at least half of that? Which I doubt anyone would pay, at least not the way things are presently.
Mclaren Racing's revenue last year was £132m. They received prize money of around 97 million I think, so about £35m in sponsors in '18. To think that we'd get the same again from Petrobras for not even being the main sponsor would surprise me a lot, I'm not even trying to think about a £80m figure. I'm sure Zak would bite the whole arm off anyone offering that. But then who knows the motivations behind some of these deals. On a side note, I look forward to seeing how our revenue has increased when the results are announced this time next year.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
18 May 2019, 21:21
Ground Effect wrote:
18 May 2019, 21:02
_cerber1 wrote:

I am sure that the Renault engine ahead of Honda.
I think that it is, from the times we have seen Mclaren and Honda tussle.

But in terms of development pace, I'd have to tip my hat towards Honda, and unfortunately I expect them to outdevelop Renault. With $100m freed up, I expect some of that to have gone to development and what I suspect to be a phenomenal development budget.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Ground Effect wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:27
Whatever Mclaren does next, and whichever petrolium brand they get onboard to sponsor them, they should stick to use whatever fuel and lubricants their engine supplier uses and don't pretend to be doing anything else.
In this V6 turbo hybrid era fuel is too crucial an component to start developing from scratch. The disadvantage would be too big, no matter the money.
My worry is Renault, and by association, BP. How motivated are they, are they pushing with fuel and lubricants like Shell, Mobil etc are? With their chassis issues, (or maybe tyres) will PU development in terms of performance take a back seat?
It would be better for Castrol/BP to supply us too because of our standing in the constructors. Kinda worrying that Renault would lessen the development on the PU to sort out their chassis issues like you said. This is definitely an issue for Zak to figure out.

diffuser

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
19 May 2019, 01:31
Ground Effect wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:27
Whatever Mclaren does next, and whichever petrolium brand they get onboard to sponsor them, they should stick to use whatever fuel and lubricants their engine supplier uses and don't pretend to be doing anything else.
In this V6 turbo hybrid era fuel is too crucial an component to start developing from scratch. The disadvantage would be too big, no matter the money.
It would be better for Castrol/BP to supply us too because of our standing in the constructors. Kinda worrying that Renault would lessen the development on the PU to sort out their chassis issues like you said. This is definitely an issue for Zak to figure out.
I think the PU side of Renault want to be sure they're ready when the chassis is. They know R&D doesn't happen overnight. That they've been playing catch up since 2014 and slowing down just results in Renault falling further behind.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Monaco concern due to Barcelona S3 struggles.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... o/4390055/

charliesmithhd

Ground Effect wrote:
19 May 2019, 10:48

I don’t think it would be as bad because mclaren set the car in Barcelona to be quick through the whole lap including a long straight and fast speed corners, so they comprised s3 for an overall faster lap

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

charliesmithhd wrote:
19 May 2019, 10:54
Ground Effect wrote:
19 May 2019, 10:48

I don’t think it would be as bad because mclaren set the car in Barcelona to be quick through the whole lap including a long straight and fast speed corners, so they comprised s3 for an overall faster lap
I hope so, from the article, Carlos didn’t sound like they knew why they struggled so much.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Normally, they’d be looking forward to Monaco, which in the last couple of years has been one of their stronger tracks. Things are reversed this year. Anyways, I’ve always wondered what the hype of Monaco is all about. It’s terrible for racing, just the Grand Prix of the rich, famous and powerful.