2019 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
McMika98
McMika98

Re: 2019 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 26-28

Rich energy cough cough lightening bolt Haas had hell of a base chassis. Grojean with Aus spec within few tenths of RedBull and Merc, contrast to KMag lounging at back. If only they stuck with that spec, they could have been top 4 easy om hindsight. Maybe Stoner needs to get in the factory and rally the troops after all.

Pyrone89

cplchanb wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 16:24
gasly probably nailed his own coffin just now with his off.
Yeah, unless he impresses in the race here or in Hungary I think they will replace him after the summer break.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Capharol
Capharol

McMika98 wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 16:38
Rich energy cough cough lightening bolt Haas had hell of a base chassis. Grojean with Aus spec within few tenths of RedBull and Merc, contrast to KMag lounging at back. If only they stuck with that spec, they could have been top 4 easy om hindsight. Maybe Stoner needs to get in the factory and rally the troops after all.
remember Merc and RB don't turn the egnine up in FP1 & 2

Capharol
Capharol

Pyrone89 wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 17:12
cplchanb wrote:
Yeah, unless he impresses in the race here or in Hungary I think they will replace him after the summer break.
as much as i ike the idea..... with whom shall they replace him? kvyat? don't think so, because kvyat is not and will not be ready for RB ever in his life, to much pressure he can't handle and we will see the Torpedo back
Albon? to fresh, no experience ....to soon (as it is for gasly)
so whom shall be sitting in the 2nd RB?

Pyrone89

Capharol wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 17:29
Pyrone89 wrote:
cplchanb wrote:
as much as i ike the idea..... with whom shall they replace him? kvyat? don't think so, because kvyat is not and will not be ready for RB ever in his life, to much pressure he can't handle and we will see the Torpedo back
Perhaps Hulkenberg instantly while Ocon takes his seat already. Much like in 2016 Ocon stepped in after the summer break.

Capharol
Capharol

Pyrone89 wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 17:30
Capharol wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

1. Perhaps Hulkenberg instantly while 2.Ocon takes his seat already. 3. Much like in 2016 Ocon stepped in after the summer break.
1. no Renault will not let Hulkenberg go after the summerbreak.... because (answer is in nr. 2.)
2. this is still a uncomfirmed rumour and Mercedes & Ocon (last one is very important) must give there OK, last thing i heard that Ocon is still hoping for a Merc seat beside Hamilton (anotheer uncomfirmed rumour)
3. different team, not that important as it is now

roon
roon

Is this the last high temperature race of the season? Should keep in mind Merc's overall season plan. Again, they can afford to give away a couple of abnormally warm races in the season, in order to optimize their pace everywhere else.

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 15:52
bauc wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 13:27
AMG.Tzan wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 13:24
When was the last time we got a wet race?? Here last year??
Miss those days...no wet races anymore :lol:
F1 shuffled the races to avoid rain as much as possible :(
yup what a [had] management!
they should realise that a rain race is good for them :cry:
No teams nor drivers would prefer it. Each competitor will want to minimize their risk and optimize their set up. They can do that most easily with a dry track. Less of a gamble.

The preferences of the competitors and the whims of the spectators are sometimes as odds. Another example: DRS allows faster cars to move through the field in order to maximize their true non-traffic pace, as wanted by teams and drivers. Spectators think it is there for artificial excitement or drama, but it is not. It minimizes risk for the teams and drivers.

Jolle
Jolle

Capharol wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 17:38
Pyrone89 wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 17:30
Capharol wrote:

1. Perhaps Hulkenberg instantly while 2.Ocon takes his seat already. 3. Much like in 2016 Ocon stepped in after the summer break.
1. no Renault will not let Hulkenberg go after the summerbreak.... because (answer is in nr. 2.)
2. this is still a uncomfirmed rumour and Mercedes & Ocon (last one is very important) must give there OK, last thing i heard that Ocon is still hoping for a Merc seat beside Hamilton (anotheer uncomfirmed rumour)
3. different team, not that important as it is now
Well... not like they have done it before..

What I found strange was the statement of Wolff that they make a decision about Bottas during the summer break, while he’s probably the only real challenger for the world title except Hamilton. The chances are minimal, but there nonetheless. With Russel in a possible better trajectory timing wise, they don’t really need Ocon at the moment and Ocon has a good relationship with Renault (at least before they dropped him for Ricciardo). From within RedBull there is no one to replace Gasly as short notice so they have to do a big seat swapping to get everyone’s way.

dtro
dtro

Maldonado crashed more and lasted longer than Gasly.

As much as this speculation is fun it kind of takes away from the weekend IMO. To the extent that discussing the crash in the context of the weekend makes sense, well Gasly has made another costly mistake- at least it happened in the last twenty minutes of FP2 and not in the first minutes of FP1.

He hasn't been impressing but his teammate is Max- does anybody else on the grid have two generations of experience with playing mindgames?

garygph
garygph

dtro wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 18:07

As much as this speculation is fun it kind of takes away from the weekend IMO. To the extent that discussing the crash in the context of the weekend makes sense, well Gasly has made another costly mistake- at least it happened in the last twenty minutes of FP2 and not in the first minutes of FP1.

He hasn't been impressing but his teammate is Max- does anybody else on the grid have two generations of experience with playing mindgames?
I think the grid has quite a few with that experience...goes with the territory

Pyrone89

dtro wrote:

Mindgames from Verstappen?
He is about a straight shooter there is.

dtro
dtro

garygph wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 18:15
dtro wrote:

I think the grid has quite a few with that experience...goes with the territory
Fair enough, I have nothing but speculation to go off of. To explain my thought, only Mick and Max have had family in F1. Mick isn't there (yet) and I don't know how much his dad shared with regards to taking dumps in the team's only bathroom before quali or whatever. I figure Jos isn't the helicopter dad type, but I'm sure he has candid discussions with his son about how to get an advantage outside of just being a boss/bully on track.

The rest of the paddock surely understands how to play mindgames but do they have relatives that went through the same thing?

GPR-A

dtro wrote:
Who else can be a good role model for Gasly than his team, in this department. :lol:

Sieper

you have a problem with speculation about a Seat, Fair enough. But Instead you introduce another off-topic and biased point. Poor.

Capharol
Capharol

@Sieper who do you mean?