2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

equaliser wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:00
Put me down for the VSC/SC pitstop ban - it spoiled what was good race up to then
Wtf if anything vsc made it more interesting

AMG.Tzan

A closed pitlane under VSC or SC is just awful! Remember what was happening last time pits were closing under SC (Canada 2008)! Sometimes races get too boring and a VSC or a SC can make the race really exciting...i was expecting Leclerc to be able to pass at least Bottas and then challenge Hamilton! See what happens in Indycar and how SCs make for great races and championships!

I remember in 2011-2013 and how Vettel was able to open 15-20 gap to 2nd...it was so awful...i was always waiting for a SC to make the race a bit more interesting!

Of course it can make or break a driver's or a team's race just like Ferrari today...but that was why Mercedes used Mediums instead of softs...Ferrari could have done the same but they didn't!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

TAG

Perhaps Karma is a thing? Anyway, good job on Bottas defending, it's so difficult to overtake and clearly keeping the car about 1.5 seconds or less means overheating. There's a Cuban slang... esta salao. Leclerc seems to epitomize the saying. In the end one gets a podium the other gets Driver of the Day, that's a fair split I guess. Mercedes half strategized half lucked into this 1-2, they better be working on that 2020 car already cause Ferrari is coming.

High hopes for 2020!
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

Restomaniac wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 14:56
GPR -A wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 14:53
MAN WITH BIGGEST HEART BREAK TODAY, IS "PAUL DI RESTA". That guy was so angry when VSC happened. :lol:
He was then trying to convince himself that LeClerc could still win after his last pitstop.
‘LeClerc can still win.........’.
It's pretty hilarious to listen to him squirm. Anyone know the root of his acrimony?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

zeph
zeph

Some time ago a Ferrari fan on this forum said he was glad James Allison left them for Mercedes as he consistently produces the second best car lol

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

AMG.Tzan wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:17
A closed pitlane under VSC or SC is just awful! Remember what was happening last time pits were closing under SC (Canada 2008)! Sometimes races get too boring and a VSC or a SC can make the race really exciting...i was expecting Leclerc to be able to pass at least Bottas and then challenge Hamilton! See what happens in Indycar and how SCs make for great races and championships!

I remember in 2011-2013 and how Vettel was able to open 15-20 gap to 2nd...it was so awful...i was always waiting for a SC to make the race a bit more interesting!

Of course it can make or break a driver's or a team's race just like Ferrari today...but that was why Mercedes used Mediums instead of softs...Ferrari could have done the same but they didn't!
I don’t understand how it would work anyway. Imagine if there is a crash and 1 car retires in a dangerous place and another car gets a puncture, loses a front nose, etc does that car just magically get into the pit box?

zeph
zeph

TAG wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:20
Restomaniac wrote:
GPR -A wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 14:53
MAN WITH BIGGEST HEART BREAK TODAY, IS "PAUL DI RESTA". That guy was so angry when VSC happened. :lol:
He was then trying to convince himself that LeClerc could still win after his last pitstop.
It's pretty hilarious to listen to him squirm. Anyone know the root of his acrimony?
They are of the same generation, both Brits, and got into F1 around the same time. DiResta is now a commentator, and Hamilton is crushing all records.

Jolle
Jolle

zeph wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:22
TAG wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
They are of the same generation, both Brits, and got into F1 around the same time. DiResta is now a commentator, and Hamilton is crushing all records.
and both part of the Mercedes program of course!

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Thank you Jenson Button whilst talking to Toto Wolff.

JB ‘Obviously a fantastic race by Lewis where he didn’t put a foot wrong’.

Di Resta sat there with a painted smile on his face :D
Last edited by Restomaniac on 29 Sep 2019, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

I don't get why people bash Leclerc.

The plan was clearly to help the team get a 1-2 and he even handed Seb the lead without fighting.
It was more than obvious that the plan afterwards was to open the gap to Ham to make the switch. Seb was the one that didn't obey (one of many times, what an exemplary employee).

Yes maybe he is being too vocal sometimes, but he wasn't the one at fault. It was only logical that they give him back the lead but I think it shouldn't come to the undercut.

TAG

Jolle wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:24
zeph wrote:
TAG wrote:

Interesting, so it goes all the way back into the Karting days?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Jolle wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:24
zeph wrote:
TAG wrote:

Those points all make more sense than mine.
I thought it was an England Vs Scotland thing #-o

DChemTech
DChemTech

F1NAC wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 14:58
Close the pitlane during VSC.. Amen
Driver: "i think I have a puncture, picked up some of Romain's debris"

Engineer: "well, yeah, sorry, we can't pit you while the safety car is out. Hang on for a few laps!"

There is an obvious issue with this idea, I'd say.

Jolle
Jolle

If I was in Leclerc shoes, I would be furious, come on, they had an agreement and then his teammate didn't play along, even when he got direct instructions from the pit wall.

Ferrari better make sure they don't have close battles the coming year, there will be at one point two dinged up Ferrari's parked at the side of the track.

LM10
LM10

Restomaniac wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:12
LM10 wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:06
Restomaniac wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:03
The pictures and sounds from my Television which make it pretty obvious.
There is just one thing being pretty obvious and that's Leclerc being disappointed for how the race developed. There is no reason for him to lose confidence. He's been exceptional so far, so much that the team even backs him now.

You're just making up things.
He bitches over the radio that he was screwed last week. He bitches over the radio that he was screwed this week. He then openly tells Di Resta that the plan was that he gave the tow to Vettel to get the place back and then suddenly the outcome wasn’t what he expected. He was told to shut it last week post race and this week looked down and pissed off during the interviews.

But yeah I’m totally making it up :lol:
This is the opposite of being not confident, won't you say? If you want to see a driver without confidence, you'll find one at Mercedes. :)