COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

izzy wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 10:05
Apparently part of why it's gone so viral in Italy is when they closed the schools in one place everyone took their kids on holiday! So that shows what a factor behaviour is. Obvious but an example of what could be at stake
Nope. It's not more viral in Italy than other countries (see among others, the charts in my last post). The lesson from Europe is you cant really escape first principles (R0 and exponential function) if you are reactive. Early undetected transmission in Italy baked in first principles for them.

izzy
izzy

nzjrs wrote: Nope. It's not more viral in Italy than other countries (see among others, the charts in my last post). The lesson from Europe is you cant really escape first principles (R0 and exponential function) if you are reactive. Early undetected transmission in Italy baked in first principles for them.
How everyone behaves obviously affects the rate of spread, saying "9 days behind" assumes there's no difference, when getting 100,000 people together, or not, amounts to a huge difference, that is the exact issue for F1

the EDGE
the EDGE

Possibility of two races in Bahrain being explored - With teams entering a 2 week isolation in between, now that is a cracking idea!

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2545 ... g-explored

FrukostScones

the EDGE wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 13:05
Possibility of two races in Bahrain being explored - With teams entering a 2 week isolation in between, now that is a cracking idea!

that sounds desperate.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Big Tea

Latest (totally un linked to any proof ) on radio is that Covid was brought back to Italy by the news crew sent to china to cover the situation there. If it is true or not, it does highlight how much travel there is associated with things like media coverage and how wide a radius a single crew can cover. I suspect this is as big a threat as the crowns of people at the events.
Even with no spectators there will still be many thousands of people traveling to hundreds fo destinations, and indeed coming from hundreds of places where problems can be 2 weeks behind the times.
Last edited by Big Tea on 11 Mar 2020, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

the EDGE wrote:

As a competitor who might be stronger on one track than another, I would not want this.

Given the whole COVID-19 situation worldwide, I wouldn't be surprised if many races this season will be cancelled, increasing the importance on the results of those that do go ahead. In other words, this years WDC might be the one who simply gets a good start and remains relatively consistent.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

the EDGE
the EDGE

Phil wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 13:40
the EDGE wrote:

As a competitor who might be stronger on one track than another, I would not want this.

Given the whole COVID-19 situation worldwide, I wouldn't be surprised if many races this season will be cancelled, increasing the importance on the results of those that do go ahead. In other words, this years WDC might be the one who simply gets a good start and remains relatively consistent.
Maybe the second race could be a trial of the reverse grid of the result of the first race

izzy
izzy

the EDGE wrote:

yes cracking idea totally agree! Bahrain races are often quite good, even if there isn't much atmosphere, and a million times better than no race at all

El Scorchio

Another one for the conspiracy theorists, given how strong Ferrari were there last year until LeClerc's car gave up....

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 13:39
Latest (totally un linked to any proof ) on radio is that Covid was brought back to Italy by the news crew sent to china to cover the situation there. If it is true or not, it does highlight how much travel there is associated with things like media coverage and how wide a radius a single crew can cover. I suspect this is as big a threat as the crowns of people at the events.
Even with no spectators there will still be many thousands of people traveling to hundreds fo destinations, and indeed coming from hundreds of places where problems can be 2 weeks behind the times.
The current best hypothesis for the early and rapid outbreaks in Iran and Italy is that both have strong links to clothing manufacture in China.

edit: I mean the personnel flying between countries, not the merchandise.
Last edited by nzjrs on 11 Mar 2020, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:08
Big Tea wrote:
The current best hypothesis for the early and rapid outbreaks in Iran and Italy is that both have strong links to clothing manufacture in China.
Surely the transport from China to either place would be longer than a virus could survive without a host?
Or do you mean people flying between market and manufacture?

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 17:07
Surely the transport from China to either place would be longer than a virus could survive without a host?
#-o Sorry, I was really unclear. I mean the people flying between market and manufacture (or manufacture and further manufacture / sales in Italy / Iran).

Phil

I somehow have the feeling Italy stopped counting or publishing numbers. No new updates to their numbers since yesterday....?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 18:09
Big Tea wrote:
#-o Sorry, I was really unclear. I mean the people flying between market and manufacture (or manufacture and further manufacture / sales in Italy / Iran).
Had me concerned about my outstanding order from Ali Barber

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Big Tea wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:08
Big Tea wrote:
it depends on how fast shipments arrive, but then still, the virus is able to survive on certain surfaces a prolongued time, and then the transport doesn't happen without human interaction/contact.

Even then, the spreading to europe, whether that be italy, spain, france, happens simple through flying in an airplane. there were enough cases already, from the chinese lady that delibaretly hid her symptoms and boasted eating in a french restaurant all whilst carrying the virus, from a infection in german car industry company by a chinese visitor, and so on.

What people seem to be totally ignorant about is the extreme simple spreading.
It is spreadable through air, and though offcourse something doesn't stay indefinately in the air,
it can be long enough for another person to contract minute air particles simply by walking through the same square meters an infected coughed or sneezed just moments before.
worse, if you think about an airplane and ventilation.

Concider first that the travel time from an airplane leaving china and arriving in france or italy is about 10 to a dozen hours. 1 person aboard carrying the virus, especially when showing early signs like coughing or sneezing, spreads these air particles CONTAINING the virus, in the airplane's pressurized cabin. The ventilation is going to spread those air particles throughout the entire plane. This happens repetitively, the same air gets 'recycled' but the virus isn't dead yet. After all, it can survive several hours the least. Same infected person will not cough or sneeze just 1 time, but multiple times, and depending on the infected person's state, might already be sweating, and through breathing can spread more of the air particles containing the virus.

this virus is thus spread throughout the plane, which means every passenger and every crewmember is in extremely high risk or even inevitably going to inhale at some point that very virus, without ever being in direct vincinity or contact with that passenger.

will every passenger actually get sick? that even remains to be seen, especially regarding that like any disease/virus/infection people can also be totally immune to it despite being a carrier.
Since incubation time can be as high as two weeks, nobody suspects a thing, but unknowingly and unwittingly are spreading the virus. 1 person in an airplane CAN infect 200 to 300 people in a matter of hours.

said person only needs to come in contact with people in it's destiation, and eventually, it'll arise there, which is EXACTLY which we are seeing now happen.

The problem of the disease remains something that people are extremely ignorant about; it's mortality rate, and the lack of a complete cure. People do away with it with ignorant remarks like the common flu and influenza costs more lives, but that is not actually true. The issue is that the corona virus comes ON TOP of that. The flu is around, as it usually is, but on top of that, we get Corona. Influenza normally doesn't cause actual organ failure too, which is something Corona can and does cause in certain cases. The infection rate is also extremely high.
Also, where influenza's death rate is about 0.1 %, corona is about 2.0 %, which means twenty times higher death rate.
There's a reason million-people cities are on complete lockdown.
Airlines and general business is losing millions and millions of dollars due to the corona-crisis.

And yet, people remain ignorant, and in despicable behaviour despite the crisis.
Normal hygiene is generally enough to absolutely minimize any infection danger, aswell as common sense and care.

Fact is, and i come to the airport often, people go to the toilets, take a dump, and not even wash their hands afterwards, likewise with a tinkle. after being aboard an airplane for many hours. that includes staff. Later on, same person, that includes 'suits', people of which we generally believe are educated well maintained people, have just left their airplane, taken a dump, did NOT wash their hands at any point, and then shake your hand when you greet them or give you a hug. Then go and eat somewhere together, at no point ever having washed their hands.

It is disgusting and unfortunately it's something that happens constantly.
And then there are people that despite NOW having catched the cold/flu, and don't believe or know they have possibly Corona, still visit people, go out, and potentially infect weaker people.

Bad hygiene and lack of proper, common sense behaviour, causes the virus to go rampant.
Offcourse, that same is said for the flu aswell, but the problem with Corona is that it is much more resiliant and has a far higher death rate.

I don't see AUS GP being cancelled. They're there already, it'll go on. What'll happen after the AUS GP remains to be seen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"