COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

With all this talk of mortality people lose sight of the almost 50,000 that walked away cured.
It is not a death sentence. The people that need to worry are those very elderly in poor health to begin with.
BTW the WHO says it's less contagious than the measles. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

strad wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 00:32
With all this talk of mortality people lose sight of the almost 50,000 that walked away cured.
It is not a death sentence. The people that need to worry are those very elderly in poor health to begin with.
:shock:

Pyrone89

strad wrote:
5% mortality rate is not something to act so coy on. And it is not just the dead: people who are 'cured' are expected to suffer permanent damage.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

PlatinumZealot

I hope championship contenders don't get sick and miss put on races. Might be the first championship decided by illness!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

RZS10

strad wrote:
The people that need to worry are those very elderly in poor health to begin with.
"It's annoying, but I'm fine. It's not the black plague" - good quote from Karl Habsburg (grandson of the last austrian emperor) who caught Corona and thought he only had the common cold.

In Germany there's three deaths so far (1567 confirmed cases - rate of 0.19%):
- 89yo woman who got pneumonia
- 78yo man who had heart issues and diabetes
- 73yo dialysis patient

From what i've read so far the vast majority of deaths in Italy has been people in their 80s and 90s but the way it's being portrayed in the media one could think that it's decimating their entire population.

It's essentially more about trying not to infect the elderly and slowing the spread of infections in order to avoid overwhelming the medical systems than anything else...
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 01:03
I hope championship contenders don't get sick and miss put on races. Might be the first championship decided by illness!
Lewis did quite well with very high fever in Hockenheim, he could handle a runny nose and a fever.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

strad wrote:
we have been told that those unusually likely to die include the well not-very elderly and the unwell youngers

assuming that most people will be infected before a vaccine appears ...
I reckon my wellderly person has about the same chance of survival as if playing one time a game of Russian roulette
(apologies to any Russians seeing this)

there is anger here from experts that too little is being done
though the 'plan' floated is to slow the spread so that the numbers 'don't overwhelm the hospitals'
in what universe won't they overwhelm the hospitals ?

the country will benefit from the deaths
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 12 Mar 2020, 01:57, edited 2 times in total.

nzjrs

Do we have any reason to believe the progression of the virus will significantly differ between countries? A rational observer would conclude no. Thus;

nzjrs

RZS10 wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 01:08
From what i've read so far the vast majority of deaths in Italy has been people in their 80s and 90s but the way it's being portrayed in the media one could think that it's decimating their entire population.
Early comorbidity and morbidity statistics are collected here : https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/

RZS10

Oh ... i was looking for that site but could not find it, just saw a screenshot some time ago ... thanks

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:

Unless people are in the places where anti-vaxxers have made measles a real health issue. Well Done Jenny McCarthy... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
It's been decided on worse than that before now. Death is definitely more serious than flu...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10
LM10

strad wrote:
Such ignorant attitudes make me angry. I don't even know why you mention measles when talking about contagiousness. It makes zero sense.

What's happening in Italy right now is scary. Hundreds of people die because the medical system just can't stand it. The problem is that it's flu season as well and in such time periods intensive care units are most busy throughout the year anyway. If you add another epidemic like the current coronavirus, the system just collapses.
Doctors in Italy watch how patients die. Also patients who under normal circumstances would have a big chance to survive. They need to make a choose from the patients who need to get artificial ventilation. Others are left to die. 196 deaths in Italy in just one day, today. That's catastrophic.

The problem is that some people still don't take it seriously. Elderly people are in danger, of course, but this absolutely does not mean that others can relax. To the contrary, young people need to worry even more. With just mild symptoms they might not even know they are infected and will spread it.

The growth of cases has been very steep in Italy, due to lack of early measurements. Other countries need to learn from that and don't make the same mistakes. For this to happen, all people should feel a responsibility instead of relaxing just because they are not in the group to worry. We all have old people around us, parents, grandparents etc. and we surely don't want them to get sick. If we, as young people, don't contribute to the slowing down of the spread, in a few weeks we could be one of the people crying in the hospital halls because one of our loved ones can't get a bed in the intensive care unit.

Wynters
Wynters

LM10 wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 01:47
The problem is that some people still don't take it seriously.
It should definitely be taken seriously, but people shouldn't panic. The socio-economic system of the vast majority of countries are precariously balanced at the best of times. Over-reacting to something can easily be as bad (or worse) as under-reacting.
LM10 wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 01:47
The growth of cases has been very steep in Italy, due to lack of early measurements.
Indeed. Although Italy acted quickly once they realised there was a problem, as you say it went undetected which is why it suddenly ballooned. The infection had already taken root in the population and, due to the population density, community transmission has probably already started. I wonder (entirely without evidence) whether high turnout at Mass, particularly amongst an aging population, would've contributed. Whilst Italy, like every country, has a unique blend of factors that will effect transmission and impact, there are definitely lessons to be learned (see the differences between Italy, South Korea and Iran, for instance).
strad wrote:
There's a night and day difference between measles and the current pandemic. To mix the two is either disingenuous in the extreme or simply disqualifies your opinion from the discussion.
Last edited by Wynters on 12 Mar 2020, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

The irony is, if they close down schools, what happens??? The kids go to stay with the old folks.

Yip, try to avoid catching anything mom, Oh by the way the kids and their friends will be here all day, can you take them to the pool
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Pyrone89

PlatinumZealot wrote:
According to Hamilton you can drive with a severe flu. Seeing how healthy they are and the effects of corono on healthy people (let alone athletes) I am sure they can drive.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.