COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Big Tea wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 02:01
The irony is, if they close down schools, what happens??? The kids go to stay with the old folks.

Yip, try to avoid catching anything mom, Oh by the way the kids and their friends will be here all day, can you take them to the pool
Worse that that, how many healthcare workers will have to stay home to care for the kids? Closing the schools will cripple the health system.

nzjrs

Wynters wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 02:04
Big Tea wrote:
The irony is, if they close down schools, what happens??? The kids go to stay with the old folks.

Yip, try to avoid catching anything mom, Oh by the way the kids and their friends will be here all day, can you take them to the pool
Worse that that, how many healthcare workers will have to stay home to care for the kids? Closing the schools will cripple the health system.
No offense, but I don't think you really believe this.

JonoNic

Wynters wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Here in China we have only started returning to work (70%). Yet every time I take a Didi (like an Uber) I feel like I'm placed in this oversized Jiffy bag. Not many countries can survive 9 weeks of locked down. The 9 nine weeks were actually needed to slow down the infection rate.
Always find the gap then use it.

PlatinumZealot

I went to do taxes and the place was crowded!
God. If I contract this thing, I hope I survive. ... If my posts stop coming, well, then ... you all know i'm gone to that upper room...

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 02:17
I went to do taxes and the place was crowded!
God. If I contract this thing, I hope I survive. ... If my posts stop coming, well, then ... you all know i'm gone to that upper room...
https://youtu.be/L7BBDvAFJF0
Death and taxes remember.
If you die, I'll drink one in your honour.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Rodak
Rodak

The NBA (American basketball) has suspended the season until further notice and will not play games after a player on the Utah Jazz team tested positive for Coronavirus. I think F1 is skating on thin ice here and may have to act. Also, Trump has suspended travel between the US and Europe for 30 days; for some reason travel to England is still allowed, although I seem to recollect they are pretty close together and England does have cases.......

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Phil

Big Tea wrote:

It’s a stupid argument. Closing schools - kids stay home. This includes non-infected ones too. They will not become carriers. Others yes who are already infected are, but by no longer going to school, will not spread it further. Want to do the math which case (open/closed schools) has what effect on spread?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

If any additional cancellations are going to happen maybe it will be post Australia? Everyone is there and ready to go, cancelling is not really an option for the FIA unless forced to by authorities. It does look like F1 will have to cancel some events though, the smaller series are doing it, other sports are doing it, even on the national level in some places. WRC will run Mexico it seems but after that it is anyone's guess.

FrukostScones

Phil wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 09:14
Big Tea wrote:

It’s a stupid argument. Closing schools - kids stay home. This includes non-infected ones too. They will not become carriers. Others yes who are already infected are, but by no longer going to school, will not spread it further. Want to do the math which case (open/closed schools) has what effect on spread?
additionally, school closures worked during Spanish Flu
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03 ... oronavirus
of course it a different virus with not th esame properties but still.

apparently Melbourne race will be held... with running starting on Friday 13th.
Hamilton and Raikkonen are not to fond of this:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14862 ... a-shocking
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Xwang
Xwang

According to you are the first three GP going to be deleted?
I'm wondering if buying the first month of nowtv subscription and since I do that only for F1, I would like to avoid paying 30€ for nothing.

Wass85
Wass85

The last thing we need is a star driver catching it and having to be quarantined for weeks on end, just imagine Hamilton losing is title challenge because of a virus.

izzy
izzy

Lewis is shocked F1 is carrying on:
Lewis Hamilton says it is "shocking" that Formula 1 has pressed ahead with this weekend's Australian Grand Prix amid the global coronavirus pandemic.

"I am very, very surprised we are here," the world champion said in the official news conference on Thursday.

"It's great we have races but it's shocking we are sitting in this room."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51848193

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Personally I feel Melbourne will be the last race that you’ll see for a month or two