COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JonoNic

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

We need 8 races with all teams for a Championship. I think we can do it.
Always find the gap then use it.

Phil

I'm predicting Melbourne to be called off. I assume one of the factors it hasn't been so far, is because depending on who steps in and cancels it will have a profound effect on who will get compensated or if force majeure kicks in. This is just my hunch.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

izzy
izzy

Now 4 Haas team members have symptoms, if their tests are positive all the team members they've been in contact with will have to be quarantined, local health people seem to be saying

Juzh

izzy wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:37
Now 4 Haas team members have symptoms, if their tests are positive all the team members they've been in contact with will have to be quarantined, local health people seem to be saying
What I don't understand is how come they seemed fine before they left, yet suddenly when they land they're all showing suspicious simptoms? Those mechacnics and engineers are all young and fit people and I don't think they would act neglicenty coming over if they were sick.

nzjrs

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 10:58
Personally I feel Melbourne will be the last race that you’ll see for a month or two
Bahrain?

JonoNic

Which teams are next to Haas in pitlane?

Phil

Juzh wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:40
Those mechacnics and engineers are all young and fit people and I don't think they would act neglicenty coming over if they were sick.
Isn't it the same everywhere? People are putting it down as "not worse than the flu", thus not taking it serious. I have various work colleagues who are coughing while making stupid jokes about it - especially younger people who are not in an associated risk group and simply are not taking this serious. There's also an attitude in my country by many that what is happening in China and now in Italy will not happen here because well, "we're better than anyway else, we've survived worse etc" and attributing what is happening in Italy to a health-care-system that is supposedly worse.

At what point do you start to react? Would you stay home if you only exhibited a cough?

People are potential carriers way before they are actually exhibiting symptoms.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

nzjrs

Welcome to the curve Australia. How special are you feeling? Will 'Australia be different'?

https://rpubs.com/thelilster/583398

JonoNic

nzjrs wrote:Welcome to the curve Australia. How special are you feeling? Will 'Australia be different'?

https://rpubs.com/thelilster/583398
Wow! It really tends to spike once it hits 100 cases in a country.

Wynters
Wynters

nzjrs wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 02:11
No offense, but I don't think you really believe this.
What percentage of healthcare workers do you think have children that need to be supervised? I'm guessing you believe the figure is close to 0? I think it's higher than that and that there aren't an infinite number of healthcare staff so, yeah, I do believe that.

But I guess I'm not a rational observer as...
nzjrs wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 01:33
Do we have any reason to believe the progression of the virus will significantly differ between countries? A rational observer would conclude no.
I think there's a significant difference between Greenland and Singapore, or Italy and the DRC. Population density, information dissemination tools, local culture and healthcare provision will all play a significant role (see the recent Ebola outbreaks as an example).

nzjrs

JonoNic wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:51
Wow! It really tends to spike once it hits 100 cases in a country.
(in this graph all countries are aligned to and start with 100 cases - at lower numbers the data is too noisy. AIUI no *direct* epidemiological relevance in starting/aligning at 100 cases)

Juzh

Phil wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:47
Juzh wrote:
Those mechacnics and engineers are all young and fit people and I don't think they would act neglicenty coming over if they were sick.
Isn't it the same everywhere? People are putting it down as "not worse than the flu", thus not taking it serious. I have various work colleagues who are coughing while making stupid jokes about it - especially younger people who are not in an associated risk group and simply are not taking this serious. There's also an attitude in my country by many that what is happening in China and now in Italy will not happen here because well, "we're better than anyway else, we've survived worse etc" and attributing what is happening in Italy to a health-care-system that is supposedly worse.

At what point do you start to react? Would you stay home if you only exhibited a cough?

People are potential carriers way before they are actually exhibiting symptoms.
I understand, but given the severity of the situation HAAS mechanics coming from italy should have been exta diligent in how they handle themselves during this time. Timeframe is what strikes me as odd. Surely some of those guys were showing simptoms (if real, lets not forget nothing is confirmed yet) prior to boarding a plane in italy, and also while disembarking in australia, but apparently not? Now when they got to track itself they're all feeling weird and under the weather?

nzjrs

Wynters wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:53
I think there's a significant difference between Greenland and Singapore, or Italy and the DRC. Population density, information dissemination tools, local culture and healthcare provision will all play a significant role (see the recent Ebola outbreaks as an example).
My posts were a play in 3 acts. If we all sit there on our thumbs 'its just a cold', then we all follow the curve because the innate dynamics of the virus will dominate (as it did with Ebola, nice and deadly that one). The countries that have managed to bend the curve have taken suppression of transmission seriously.

izzy
izzy

Juzh wrote:
izzy wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:37
What I don't understand is how come they seemed fine before they left, yet suddenly when they land they're all showing suspicious simptoms? Those mechacnics and engineers are all young and fit people and I don't think they would act neglicenty coming over if they were sick.
This is how it goes isn't it? One person gets it, in a team they obviously infect some others, by the time symptoms develop they've flown off somewhere, then a day or two later the next few develop symptoms, and meanwhile... on and on

Wass85
Wass85

nzjrs wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 12:02
Wynters wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:53
My post was a play in 3 acts. If we all sit there on our thumbs 'its just a cold', then we all follow the curve because the innate dynamics of the virus will dominate (as it did with Ebola, nice and deadly that one). The countries that have managed to bend the curve have taken suppression of transmission seriously.
But the question is how long can they suppress it for? You can't stay off work and isolate for ever. There is talk of China lifting these restrictions and it is predicted there will be a massive spike of cases in the 2nd wave of the virus.