COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

adrianjordan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 16:51
But let's face facts. This virus is out there and we cannot contain it. All we can do is try to limit the impact on those who are actually at risk the same as we would for flu, measles or any one of a number of other viruses.
What has been determined feasible (or fallen into as the data comes out), sensible, and necessary I think it should be said, is that current strategies are to *slow* the spread of the virus. This is as you know different to 'containment', but it is worth repeating for the nth time. Current measures are to flatten the peak so that health services are not completely overwhelmed by the first flu wave - because when they are it pushes up the CFR quite a lot.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 15:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 14:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 14:34
Funily enough the infections are probably coming from the flight itself. England has been sending out a lot of infected flights according to reports. Perhaps giving England a pass was not such a good idea after all.

First cases here are coming from English flights. Trump should really reconsider.
The UK has many fewer cases so far than a number of EU countries, so let's not blame the UK for spreading this thing, thanks.
I am not blaming UK for spreading it. It is spreading everywhere. The spread from UK is underestimated is what I am saying.
The UK government advice is to only test people who've come back from effected areas like Italy and people who've come into contact with those people. So basically the UK is not testing enough people to have an accurate picture of the number of people infected with COVID-19. It might be the case that COVID-19 is spreading freely or is close to it. There is a COBRA meeting going on at the moment in Downing Street, so the policy might change. At this point in time COVID-19 has multiple sources of transmission, so you can't pin the blame on any one country. Viruses don't care about borders etc.

As for the race ? I think the sensible course of action would have been to postpone the start of the season and reassess the decision at regular intervals based on the medical evidence. The problem is if the entire paddock is infected with COVID-19 it will make travel difficult and might well create a sense of anger in some that could damage the sport's image. For once they need to think long term and take the profit losses on the chin and bin the season if necessary (it might not come to that).

Until a vaccine is produced (at least 12-18 months away) we will be dealing with COVID-19 for a while to come (that's something people need to wrap their heads around). You can lose the antibodies that make you immune to a virus within 1-2 years. I just hope COVID-19 doesn't mutate in response to immune systems developing antibodies against it before a vaccine is developed.

muz
muz

Bbc reporting the gp has been postponed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Aus GP postponed. Inevitable if you ask me.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

taperoo2k wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 17:37
I just hope COVID-19 doesn't mutate in response to immune systems developing antibodies against it before a vaccine is developed.
If it mutates then the vaccine might also be ineffective. That's why the "ordinary" seasonal flu each year has to be characterised and a vaccine produced each time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 17:46
taperoo2k wrote:
I just hope COVID-19 doesn't mutate in response to immune systems developing antibodies against it before a vaccine is developed.
If it mutates then the vaccine might also be ineffective. That's why the "ordinary" seasonal flu each year has to be characterised and a vaccine produced each time.
Mutation is a bit of a movie word. If you want to visualize the already existing variance 'aka mutations' between the currently sequenced strains of the virus you can do so here. https://nextstrain.org/ncov

AMG.Tzan

Felt happy for a moment reading Sky's title that it is going ahead! But then saw this and i'm also gutted...i was so happy that Formula 1 was going ahead with its races unlike MotoGP! But it seems that there's nothing we can do against a pandemic! This must be the first time our generation goes through a pandemic...when was the last time it happened?? Pre war maybe??

So it is a new situation for many of us...we have to adhere to what the experts say to be safe in the end! There are people out there that are in danger of dying if the get the Corona virus...so we should be careful and not think only of ourselves!

I am on the cusp of ragging right now and crying of what a stupid decision this is! But...i must keep myself! :oops:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Sieper

If we would not know about the current mutation, would we be any wiser? The whole world is going in lock down. Until when? Until every business is bankrupt, everybody is unemployed and all systems have fallen over?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

nzjrs wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 17:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
Mutation is a bit of a movie word. If you want to visualize the already existing variance 'aka mutations' between the currently sequenced strains of the virus you can do so here. https://nextstrain.org/ncov
Cool site, thanks for the link. I would point out that the site does use the words "nucleotide mutations".

But yes, "mutation of the virus" is a bit Hollywood. Better to say that it evolves. Which will annoy those who think evolution isn't real and can't be proved... :wink: :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 18:12
If we would not know about the current mutation, would we be any wiser? The whole world is going in lock down. Until when? Until every business is bankrupt, everybody is unemployed and all systems have fallen over?
It might be considered better to just let it run its course and support those who struggle with the illness. But can the health systems around the world cope with large numbers of seriously ill elderly people along with those who have other issues before they catch the virus?

It's a difficult thing to discuss and make decisions about which is why politicians are trying other ways of dealing with it - they don't like difficult decisions!

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

nzjrs wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 17:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
It doesn't work that way. Rare variances (mutations) are not readily detectable with sequencing "resolution" we have or simply the sequenced sample of virus will not have all the variations in the whole species. So, no, most of the time you cannot detect mutation which may become dominant later. Also the key is every time virus synthesized there are new mutations. It is very fluid.

by the by, if 6/7 races are cancelled, does the championship become a "non championship"? Like if we have less than half the laps -> half points are rewarded??

Wass85
Wass85

I heard on the radio a virologist state the risk of it mutating is very low. The Grand Prix does need cancelling, the sporting side of me insists this.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

muz wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 17:42
Bbc reporting the gp has been postponed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
okey. for when? this is the question.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I wonder if they can put the 2020 season on hold, and effectively run it in 2021? Shift the regulations out another year and let the teams run everything they developed for this season in 2021.

Otherwise, teams will go bust if they have to abandon everything they did this year and focus on 2021 without having earnt any sponsorship money for 2020.

marmer
marmer

Diesel wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 18:36
I wonder if they can put the 2020 season on hold, and effectively run it in 2021? Shift the regulations out another year and let the teams run everything the develop for this season in 2021.
I doubt it. Not due to the regs I think the teams will agree to that if offered if this season didn't happen.

The issue would be the drivers. Most contracts are up at the end of the year so you could easily have a very different line up so you might as well just use the 2021 regs in that case and just forget about 2020