COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

RZS10 wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 21:53
Bahrain is most definitely also off, innit?
I'd say definitely off.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

izzy
izzy

FrukostScones wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 22:19
RZS10 wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 21:53
Bahrain is most definitely also off, innit?
I'd say definitely off.
you mean probably definitely :)

they're meeting as we type... then presumably FIA will tell us about Bahrain as well as Oz. Personally with no crowd and teams having mingled already i think Bahrain could possibly be on

AMG.Tzan

izzy wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 21:25
AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 21:05
As things stand the situation is only going to get worse for some months! More and more people are going to get infected and more and more will die as there are so many out there that don't even know they are infected!

So i don't expect any of the races to go ahead since Australia which isn't in such a bad situation like EU and China! Even USA has way more infections than Australia and even Netherlands which is way smaller than Australia has more infections! So the season won't get under way until the Corona virus thing is over...maybe after the summer when the high temperatures will help calm the situation a bit!

It's a pity as Australia, Bahrain and even Vietnam (only 39 infections...if true though) was a chance to get the season under way on schedule because all these countries have much less infections for the time being...unlike EU countries! Even IMSA and Indycar have cancelled races! So the 2020 season may start mid or end of summer after all... :?
on the other hand, the teams have to go somewhere now, unless they just set up in Melbourne for a few weeks. Where can they go? They have to cluster together in aeroplanes with recirculating air, and fly somewhere. Why not Bahrain? It's safer than back to Europe and them all dispersing to their families with whatever they've caught.
Go back to their homes and quarantine themselves probably.

I agree that Bahrain is a safer place than any EU country right now...Australia is also safer! That's why i think it is wrong not to go ahead with the race both here and Bahrain! Vietnam although closer to China has even less infections than Australia (if their reports are true of course)!

European races won't go ahead in my opinion! Difficult to see how the situation will get any better than it is right now...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 22:27
izzy wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 21:25
AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 21:05
As things stand the situation is only going to get worse for some months! More and more people are going to get infected and more and more will die as there are so many out there that don't even know they are infected!

So i don't expect any of the races to go ahead since Australia which isn't in such a bad situation like EU and China! Even USA has way more infections than Australia and even Netherlands which is way smaller than Australia has more infections! So the season won't get under way until the Corona virus thing is over...maybe after the summer when the high temperatures will help calm the situation a bit!

It's a pity as Australia, Bahrain and even Vietnam (only 39 infections...if true though) was a chance to get the season under way on schedule because all these countries have much less infections for the time being...unlike EU countries! Even IMSA and Indycar have cancelled races! So the 2020 season may start mid or end of summer after all... :?
on the other hand, the teams have to go somewhere now, unless they just set up in Melbourne for a few weeks. Where can they go? They have to cluster together in aeroplanes with recirculating air, and fly somewhere. Why not Bahrain? It's safer than back to Europe and them all dispersing to their families with whatever they've caught.

I agree that Bahrain is a safer place than any EU country right now...Australia is also safer! That's why i think it is wrong not to go ahead with the race both here and Bahrain! Vietnam although closer to China has even less infections than Australia (if their reports are true of course)!

European races won't go ahead in my opinion! Difficult to see how the situation will get any better than it is right now...
Unfortunately, the situation will get steadily worse for the next 3-6 months, and there isn't much that can be done about it.

izzy
izzy

AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 22:27

yes, the one thing i feel is pretty definite is not having a crowd, that would really be voting for Christmas

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

So what will be the first race this year? Canada?

FrukostScones

NL_Fer wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 22:39
So what will be the first race this year? Canada?
Brazil. 8x times.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

adrianjordan

AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 18:09
! But it seems that there's nothing we can do against a pandemic! This must be the first time our generation goes through a pandemic...when was the last time it happened?? Pre war maybe??
Assuming you don't include HIV/AIDS, there is an argument that we regularly have low level pandemics, such as the common cold and flu.

What was the definition again, developing simultaneously in 3 or more countries or something like that?

This is a new experience for many, something they have only previously seen in films.

I personally believe the media has a responsibility to help promote calm, instead they seem hell bent on spreading hysteria by only focusing on the negative stories.

I read an interesting opinion piece today in a health journal that suggested that this virus may actually have been in far wider circulation for several months and many people may already have been exposed and recovered and hence have developed an immunity.

Some suggestion that if scientists can identify those people then they may take a massive step towards a vaccine.

Also some successful trials going on using antivirals that are already licensed for treating other conditions.

Finally an article in the BMJ spoke of early signs that people on a certain type of drugs, ACE Inhibitors, may be more at risk, which could help understand the way the virus works and thus help develop a treatment.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mmred
mmred

Hope next year Will be Better Australia bye bye

izzy
izzy

SO. Bahrain???? They had the sense to stop fans travelling. Teams are packing up, presumably the freight is booked to go there

RZS10

One McLaren member was positive, he surely had contact to a large number of other people in the team, given the 14 day incubation period half the McLaren team might have it and technically all should be in isolation ... so unless they fly in new people they might not be able to participate ...

I don't see how they could pull this --- in Melbourne and then race a week later pretending like nothing ever happened
Last edited by RZS10 on 13 Mar 2020, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

AMG.Tzan

Nice...every single motorsport event around the world has been cancelled!

That's overreaction in my opinion! A race behind closed doors should have been the way to go...

With the measures taken by many countries around the world i predict a very difficult time for the economy...already DOW was down 10% today! That's not a good sign for the economy...hopefully this whole corona virus thing doesn't get followed up by an economic crisis aka 2008 as it will be a total disaster!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

RZS10

Imagine tanking the world economy and all major events (sporting or other) because of something that in retrospect might possibly be nothing but another flu

nzjrs

Time will tell if course, but it's worth remebering that chronic mismanagement and a failure to adequately assess the predictable sequence of events got us this mess today.

The virus is what the virus is, but FIA had the opportunity to not mess things up this badly. They played with fire and they got burned.

JordanMugen

Ringleheim wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 22:30
Unfortunately, the situation will get steadily worse for the next 3-6 months, and there isn't much that can be done about it.
Surely it will be most diligent to immediately cancel all the races before the summer break? That gives maximum time for refunds to be issued and so on.

The feasibility of holding races after the summer break can be assessed by August the 14th, two weeks before the Belgian Grand Prix. It is crucial that future Grand Prixs are cancelled with at least two weeks notice as the Australian Grand Prix cancellation has been very poorly handled.