COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mmred
mmred

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

izzy wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:01
there are all these different perspectives on it. I thought i'd look up the normal death rate in the UK: it's about 1% per year, 48,000 a month, 1640 a day

about 47% die in hospital, that's 770 a day, normally
What s your point? Do You Mean adding an extra Is not worth the work?

AMG.Tzan

If the rate of daily new cases in Europe doesn't start to go downwards by mid-end of April (which is very optimistic i know)...I don't see any of the European races going ahead all summer long! Italy has reached 2000-3000 new cases per day and still going upwards...that's terrible and they have already implemented quite a big quarantine!

France and Spain also on the way up right now! Only Germany seems to have a much smaller upwards curve...close to plateauing! But we don't even have a race there in 2020 :lol: :lol:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coro ... _in_Europe
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

mmred
mmred

AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:24
If the rate of daily new cases in Europe doesn't start to go downwards by mid-end of April (which is very optimistic i know)...I don't see any of the European races going ahead all summer long! Italy has reached 2000-3000 new cases per day and still going upwards...that's terrible and they have already implemented quite a big quarantine!

France and Spain also on the way up right now! Only Germany seems to have a much smaller upwards curve...close to plateauing! But we don't even have a race there in 2020 :lol: :lol:

Quarantine takes weeks to have effects... As i recall It was said that the observed curve Is the same in all the european states. Unlike japan. Just delayed by the date of start. Italy Is Two week before the rest while Germany May Be the last one to join the group so It Just appears to have a different rate

https://www.motherjones.com/wp-content/ ... rch_13.gif

AMG.Tzan

mmred wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:25
AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:24

Quarantine takes weeks to have effects... As i recall It was said that the observed curve Is the same in all the european states. Unlike japan. Just delayed by the date of start. Italy Is Two week before the rest while Germany May Be the last one to join the group so It Just appears to have a different rate

https://www.motherjones.com/wp-content/ ... rch_13.gif
It's true...they are about 2 weeks behind so they'll "catch up"! :oops:

What i noticed though is that deaths in Germany account for only 0.2% of those infected so far...whereas Spain, France and UK are around 1.5-2.5%...while Italy is around 7-8% which is huge! :shock:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

nzjrs

AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:38
Italy is around 7-8% which is huge! :shock:
Unfortunately this is the multiplicative effects of an overrun health system and an elderly population.

LM10
LM10

nzjrs wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:45
AMG.Tzan wrote:
Unfortunately this is the multiplicative effects of an overrun health system and an elderly population.
Which most people still don't understand. Either they're just plain stupid or ignorant for whatever hell reason. And this is AFTER we've had so much more time than China and Italy to prepare and AFTER italian doctors have warned us already. They've told us NOT to make the big mistake and confuse this with flu, NOT to make the mistake and still gather in different places because there're only a few cases yet. They've told us that even the best health system in the world would have no chance against this without measurements. They've told us not to be afraid of very strict measurements because it's the only effective way to slow down the rate of spread. Asian countries with experience and discipline like Taiwan, Singapore and Japan show us how to do it.

Covid-19 came like a bomb to northern italy and is continuing like a Tsunami. Destroying hospital and health systems, taking lifes and hopes.

mmred
mmred

nzjrs wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:45
AMG.Tzan wrote:
It s the elder pop but the health system Is top notch and still quote coping with the Emergency from what i know. Tough somewhere in some region, It May Be overrun by the Number of cases.

Probably It s Just that the protocol about dead people are more restrictive: they do the covid test to every dead person here

More than on apparently healthy ones
Last edited by mmred on 14 Mar 2020, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

izzy
izzy

mmred wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:20
izzy wrote:
there are all these different perspectives on it. I thought i'd look up the normal death rate in the UK: it's about 1% per year, 48,000 a month, 1640 a day

i'm not arguing, at this point. it's just part of a perspective, on how we could look at it. On one hand, nobody wants to die or be terribly ill or for anyone else to, and on the other hand life has to go on, lots of things have to be done, days can be enjoyed, people die anyway of something, but there are things we can do to avoid making it worse than it has to be

it's all so uncertain, as far as i can see, people are reacting according to their personal temperament as much as to any reliable data about it. It's all about prediction and there doesn't seem to be any good basis for predicting really

mmred
mmred

izzy wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:13
mmred wrote:
izzy wrote:

i'm not arguing, at this point. it's just part of a perspective, on how we could look at it. On one hand, nobody wants to die or be terribly ill or for anyone else to, and on the other hand life has to go on, lots of things have to be done, days can be enjoyed, people die anyway of something, but there are things we can do to avoid making it worse than it has to be

it's all so uncertain, as far as i can see, people are reacting according to their personal temperament as much as to any reliable data about it. It's all about prediction and there doesn't seem to be any good basis for predicting really
There are already predictions of the effects on the population without any political limit. It s a gaussian Evolution with an hyperbolic start.
You can check here.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... s-outlier/

LM10
LM10

izzy wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:13
mmred wrote:
izzy wrote:

Yes, it's about prediction, but prediction based on professional simulations. There is much data and enough experience to look at already. We're in a better position than China, Iran and Italy. We could look at how things went there and LEARN. Nothing is uncertain either. I can assure you that other countries without immediate and strict measurements will go through the same like Italy.

I don't know what the government in the UK is even up to. Seems like they've smoked something. Waiting for herd immunity is like filming the tsunami in the horizon speeding towards you. Every minute you put the camera aside and start running counts. The same applies to the situation now. Every day you can start measurements count.

bluechris

North Korea controls it pretty fine it seems.
Also as the time pass they get better in their response times.
1st case 10mins to be solved
2nd case 7mins to be solved
EtcImage

mmred
mmred

bluechris wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:47
North Korea controls it pretty fine it seems.
Also as the time pass they get better in their response times.
1st case 10mins to be solved
2nd case 7mins to be solved
Etchttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202003 ... b942e0.jpg
I don't think they even have functioning cities there

Maybe they are just getting better at finding the infected people and "removing" them from the equation if you get what I mean.

izzy
izzy

LM10 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:38
Yes, it's about prediction, but prediction based on professional simulations. There is much data and enough experience to look at already. We're in a better position than China, Iran and Italy. We could look at how things went there and LEARN. Nothing is uncertain either. I can assure you that other countries without immediate and strict measurements will go through the same like Italy.

I don't know what the government in the UK is even up to. Seems like they've smoked something. Waiting for herd immunity is like filming the tsunami in the horizon speeding towards you. Every minute you put the camera aside and start running counts. The same applies to the situation now. Every day you can start measurements count.
what's going to happen depends on what everyone does, as well as the characteristics of the virus, and we don't know what everyone is going to do, as you kind of say. The predictions don't go very far, because they can't, because we don't know how many cases there are even approximately, with most of them not being reported, and we don't know what any countermeasures are going to be or how effective, we just have vague principles

Even the deaths are approximate, because a lot of them have underlying conditions as well, and they are actually a small fraction of normal deaths

izzy
izzy

mmred wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:27
There are already predictions of the effects on the population without any political limit. It s a gaussian Evolution with an hyperbolic start.
You can check here.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... s-outlier/
well yes there are predictions, how useful are they? Those ones go 'thru March 13', which was yesterday, and they're all the same, because as far as i can see the blogger/John Hopkins made them all the same, extrapolating with an exponent from some early data