COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mmred
mmred

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

izzy wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 17:24
mmred wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:27
There are already predictions of the effects on the population without any political limit. It s a gaussian Evolution with an hyperbolic start.
You can check here.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... s-outlier/
well yes there are predictions, how useful are they? Those ones go 'thru March 13', which was yesterday, and they're all the same, because as far as i can see the blogger/John Hopkins made them all the same, extrapolating with an exponent from some early data
Plenty of data

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

nzjrs

mmred wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:55
nzjrs wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:45
AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 15:38
Italy is around 7-8% which is huge! :shock:
Unfortunately this is the multiplicative effects of an overrun health system and an elderly population.
It s the elder pop but the health system Is top notch and still quote coping with the Emergency from what i know. Tough somewhere in some region, It May Be overrun by the Number of cases.
Sorry if I wasn't clear - that's what I mean. Overrun by the number of cases.

LM10
LM10

izzy wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 17:18
LM10 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 16:38
Yes, it's about prediction, but prediction based on professional simulations. There is much data and enough experience to look at already. We're in a better position than China, Iran and Italy. We could look at how things went there and LEARN. Nothing is uncertain either. I can assure you that other countries without immediate and strict measurements will go through the same like Italy.

I don't know what the government in the UK is even up to. Seems like they've smoked something. Waiting for herd immunity is like filming the tsunami in the horizon speeding towards you. Every minute you put the camera aside and start running counts. The same applies to the situation now. Every day you can start measurements count.
what's going to happen depends on what everyone does, as well as the characteristics of the virus, and we don't know what everyone is going to do, as you kind of say. The predictions don't go very far, because they can't, because we don't know how many cases there are even approximately, with most of them not being reported, and we don't know what any countermeasures are going to be or how effective, we just have vague principles

Even the deaths are approximate, because a lot of them have underlying conditions as well, and they are actually a small fraction of normal deaths
It's very simple in my opinion. By looking at countries like Taiwan, Singapore or Japan and comparing it to countries in europe, we can surely say that measurements are extremely effective and should be done.

And I also want to add that overwhelmed hospitals won't be able to treat other emergencies either. Traumas, strokes etc. So Non-Covid19-death rates will also rise. This is what's happening in Italy right now. Hospitals at 200% capacity.

Wouter

Coronavirus: a Mercedes mechanic is positive.

According to today's edition of Il Corriere dello Sport, a Mercedes mechanic tested positive for Coronavirus in Brixworth and the quarantine for those who had been in contact was taken. Ferrari has announced the minimization of the employees present in Maranello. Calendar discussions and more will continue in Europe. Toto Wolff and Claire Williams are inclined to request the anticipation in this period of the month of mandatory shutdown of the factories usually expected in August, but Ferrari will certainly be against it because in Maranello the intention is to exploit this period to try to resolve the Drag issues highlighted in Barcelona tests.
https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 86225.html
The Power of Dreams!

mmred
mmred

Wouter wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 17:59

According to today's edition of Il Corriere dello Sport, a Mercedes mechanic tested positive for Coronavirus in Brixworth and the quarantine for those who had been in contact was taken. Ferrari has announced the minimization of the employees present in Maranello. Calendar discussions and more will continue in Europe. Toto Wolff and Claire Williams are inclined to request the anticipation in this period of the month of mandatory shutdown of the factories usually expected in August, but Ferrari will certainly be against it because in Maranello the intention is to exploit this period to try to resolve the Drag issues highlighted in Barcelona tests.
Opposing anybody for the shutdown to Resolve the drag issue but shutting down the ges before anyone wich they did. Doesnt make sense.
Fake news

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

If F1 factories are going to start shutting down as unsafe work places, we might really be looking at a very late start to the season. Nothing like May. This whole situation is going to get a lot worse before it gets better for fans of F1.

Wouter

mmred wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 18:03
Wouter wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 17:59

Opposing anybody for the shutdown to Resolve the drag issue but shutting down the ges before anyone wich they did. Doesnt make sense.
Fake news
The writer of the article is just giving his opinion about Ferrari, it has nothing to do with news.
The Power of Dreams!

mmred
mmred

Wouter wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 18:28
mmred wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 18:03
Fake news
The writer of the article is just giving his opinion about Ferrari, it has nothing to do with news.
Indeed It s a contraddiction. It doesnt make sense even as an opinion

izzy
izzy

LM10 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 17:53
It's very simple in my opinion. By looking at countries like Taiwan, Singapore or Japan and comparing it to countries in europe, we can surely say that measurements are extremely effective and should be done.

And I also want to add that overwhelmed hospitals won't be able to treat other emergencies either. Traumas, strokes etc. So Non-Covid19-death rates will also rise. This is what's happening in Italy right now. Hospitals at 200% capacity.
yes i'm not saying we should do nothing. Just: where is the line? Do i go to the gym? No. Shopping? Yes, for food but not clothes

But other people are making different choices, more according to their temperament than anything else afaics

and Japan's cases are increasing, but they're saying the Olympics are still on in July. Plus some places are saying the low rates in Japan are about low screening rates really

strad

yeah,, I trust numbers from China. NOT
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mmred
mmred

strad wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 19:57
yeah,, I trust numbers from China. NOT
In One month you Will have the Evolution of italian numbers after the policies and know if china lied or quatanteen works in Europe too.

There Arent any other options

In the meanwhile good luck with doing nothing

enri_the_red
enri_the_red

daily update from Italy (change from yesterday):
infected: 21157 (+3497)
recovered: 1966 (+527)
ICU patients: 1518 (+190)
dead: 1441 (+175)

very big increase in the number of infected (with a growth rate of 1.3 over yesterday) and recovered; the latter confirm the extreme variability of this number (three days ago they were just 41)

strad

I have no doubt that quarantine works but I don't see what that has to do with trusting China to tell the truth about this or anything for that matter.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mmred
mmred

strad wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 20:12
I have no doubt that quarantine works but I don't see what that has to do with trusting China to tell the truth about this or anything for that matter.
Sorry. You wrote It right After a quaranteen opposer. It made look your opinion as if It was in support of brit non-policies.

Nobody really trusts china numbers
But Apple reopens there. I think Apple has real numbers before doing that. Sometimes corporations are even more powerfull than public organizations

nzjrs

strad wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 20:12
What is the nature of the manipulation you belive what might be going on with china's numbers?