COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pyrone89

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

nzjrs wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:25
strad wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 20:12
I have no doubt that quarantine works but I don't see what that has to do with trusting China to tell the truth about this or anything for that matter.
What is the nature of the manipulation you belive what might be going on with china's numbers?
Simply not testing or intentionally reporting wrong number externally
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

nzjrs

Pyrone89 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:39
nzjrs wrote:
strad wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 20:12
I have no doubt that quarantine works but I don't see what that has to do with trusting China to tell the truth about this or anything for that matter.
What is the nature of the manipulation you belive what might be going on with china's numbers?
Sorry im asking to be very specific on the type of under reporting.

Pyrone89

nzjrs wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:42
Pyrone89 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

I doubt members of China’s government frequent this forum and are willing to divulge that

nzjrs

Pyrone89 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:45
nzjrs wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

I doubt members of China’s government frequent this forum and are willing to divulge that
Come on, be logical. We have the initial estimates, the growth rates and testing percentages, cases, etc. We have the comparison to other countries and we have the steps taken. Be very clear with what type of misreporting you think is going on.

I don't have a position on china's data other than a scientific one - so Form a testable hypothesis please

strad

:roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

strad wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:49
:roll:
How mature.

Pyrone89

nzjrs wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:47
Pyrone89 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:45
nzjrs wrote:

Come on, be logical. We have the initial estimates, the growth rates and testing percentages, cases, etc. We have the comparison to other countries and we have the steps taken. Be very clear with what type of misreporting you think is going on.

I don't have a position on china's data other than a scientific one - so Form a testable hypothesis please
I am calling the big leader first thing tomorrow

nzjrs

Pyrone89 wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 21:59
I am calling the big leader first thing tomorrow
For the adults in the room who appreciate F1 isn't the only topic for modeling and (nod at Ferarri PU thread) from which one can hypothisize types of measurement (cheating) error, I encourage you to read this: http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mjh/covid19/

One can particularly take the effort to think about how different types of reporting and definition bias might appear either absolutely or comparatively in the data - as the author does at numerous points.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Ross Brawn spoke of 17-18 GP this year which is very optimistic with no european F-1 races at all.

There will be no Indianapolis 500 in May and no 24 hours of Le Mans in June for sure. Hard time for motorsport in 2020.

Big Tea

Sombrero wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 23:10
Ross Brawn spoke of 17-18 GP this year which is very optimistic with no european F-1 races at all.

There will be no Indianapolis 500 in May and no 24 hours of Le Mans in June for sure. Hard time for motorsport in 2020.
I suspect many countries will not want hundreds of Europeans swanning around if they do not have troubles of their own. I doubt half that number will actually happen.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JonoNic

Pyrone89 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:
So you are doubting China's numbers? They still have over 3000 patients who are critical. Many of those will die in the coming days. I'm in a city that is under semi-lockdown, yet our temperature being taken every time we leave or return since mid January. Every store has a QR code that you scan at the entrance or you will not be allowed to enter. This makes it's easy to retrace someone who was diagnosed positive and find out who they may have exposed. I'm not Chinese but I am impressed by how they have actively tried to stop the spread here.
Always find the gap then use it.

LM10
LM10

To whoever rated my post negatively with the comment that I don’t know the basics of herd immunity: I’m glad you and the British government are the only smart people in the world knowing it and going for it. They’ve found out the cheat code.

Pyrone89

JonoNic wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:12
Pyrone89 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

So you are doubting China's numbers? They still have over 3000 patients who are critical. Many of those will die in the coming days. I'm in a city that is under semi-lockdown, yet our temperature being taken every time we leave or return since mid January. Every store has a QR code that you scan at the entrance or you will not be allowed to enter. This makes it's easy to retrace someone who was diagnosed positive and find out who they may have exposed. I'm not Chinese but I am impressed by how they have actively tried to stop the spread here.
I think China wants to give the appearance 'everything' is ok now to avoid a big economic disaster which may cause political upheaval (read: removal of the 1 party system). Wether or not we approve of that as Westerners is a different matter. Perhaps they have a better approach because we seem intent on crashing our economies by the 'war like' reporting in the media.

Now with regards to the actual measures they are taking: I think they are doing it best, but even this 'best approach' produces numbers that are ugly. And they desperately needed to restart the factories to avoid the above mentioned.

That is why people doubt the numbers (not just me). And for your information: I am also doubting the numbers of Iran, North Korea, Turkey, Africa (lack of testing)

mmred
mmred

LM10 wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:21
To whoever rated my post negatively with the comment that I don’t know the basics of herd immunity: I’m glad you and the British government are the only smart people in the world knowing it and going for it. They’ve found out the cheat code.
I don't think every Brit supports that madness

mmred
mmred

Pyrone89 wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:22
JonoNic wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:12
Pyrone89 wrote: I doubt members of China’s government frequent this forum and are willing to divulge that
I think China wants to give the appearance 'everything' is ok now to avoid a big economic disaster which may cause political upheaval (read: removal of the 1 party system). Wether or not we approve of that as Westerners is a different matter. Perhaps they have a better approach because we seem intent on crashing our economies by the 'war like' reporting in the media.

Now with regards to the actual measures they are taking: I think they are doing it best, but even this 'best approach' produces numbers that are ugly. And they desperately needed to restart the factories to avoid the above mentioned.

That is why people doubt the numbers (not just me). And for your information: I am also doubting the numbers of Iran, North Korea, Turkey, Africa (lack of testing)
The idea that anything could menace china political system Is ingenuos imho.
Therefore all the comparison china Europe becomes useless.

Some numbers May Be inaccurate. Even in Europe tried to postpone and protect their economy