COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy
izzy

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

So in the UK, deaths doubled yesterday! But:
Ten patients who tested positive for the coronavirus have died, bringing the death toll in the UK to 21, NHS England said.

Two male patients being cared for at City Hospital, and New Cross Hospital, who had tested positive for COVID-19, have both died.

The patients, in their mid 80s, had underlying health conditions.

All 10 people revealed on Saturday as having died after testing positive for Covid-19 were "in the at-risk groups", chief medical officer for England Professor Chris Whitty, said.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... w-17925407

so, what exactly do we take from this? i mean it's bad obviously, but to what extent are they extra deaths, over the 770 others who'll have died normally? We don't really know. It's going to be exaggerated in most of the news. So we have to take precautions, but there's a limit, that can still be a practical limit, it seems to me

Pyrone89

mmred wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:55
Pyrone89 wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:22
JonoNic wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:12
So you are doubting China's numbers? They still have over 3000 patients who are critical. Many of those will die in the coming days. I'm in a city that is under semi-lockdown, yet our temperature being taken every time we leave or return since mid January. Every store has a QR code that you scan at the entrance or you will not be allowed to enter. This makes it's easy to retrace someone who was diagnosed positive and find out who they may have exposed. I'm not Chinese but I am impressed by how they have actively tried to stop the spread here.
I think China wants to give the appearance 'everything' is ok now to avoid a big economic disaster which may cause political upheaval (read: removal of the 1 party system). Wether or not we approve of that as Westerners is a different matter. Perhaps they have a better approach because we seem intent on crashing our economies by the 'war like' reporting in the media.

Now with regards to the actual measures they are taking: I think they are doing it best, but even this 'best approach' produces numbers that are ugly. And they desperately needed to restart the factories to avoid the above mentioned.

That is why people doubt the numbers (not just me). And for your information: I am also doubting the numbers of Iran, North Korea, Turkey, Africa (lack of testing)
The idea that anything could menace china political system Is ingenuos imho.
That is what the Sovjet leaders thought
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

mmred
mmred

Pyrone89 wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 01:28
mmred wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:55
Pyrone89 wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 00:22

I think China wants to give the appearance 'everything' is ok now to avoid a big economic disaster which may cause political upheaval (read: removal of the 1 party system). Wether or not we approve of that as Westerners is a different matter. Perhaps they have a better approach because we seem intent on crashing our economies by the 'war like' reporting in the media.

Now with regards to the actual measures they are taking: I think they are doing it best, but even this 'best approach' produces numbers that are ugly. And they desperately needed to restart the factories to avoid the above mentioned.

That is why people doubt the numbers (not just me). And for your information: I am also doubting the numbers of Iran, North Korea, Turkey, Africa (lack of testing)
The idea that anything could menace china political system Is ingenuos imho.
That is what the Sovjet leaders thought
Yeah but china Is the First economy of the world. Viruses that spread everywhere affect anywhere cant change much the balances

Zynerji

This is going to bankrupt China.

mmred
mmred

Zynerji wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 02:26
Lol

mmred
mmred

izzy wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 01:26
So in the UK, deaths doubled yesterday! But:
Ten patients who tested positive for the coronavirus have died, bringing the death toll in the UK to 21, NHS England said.

Two male patients being cared for at City Hospital, and New Cross Hospital, who had tested positive for COVID-19, have both died.

The patients, in their mid 80s, had underlying health conditions.

All 10 people revealed on Saturday as having died after testing positive for Covid-19 were "in the at-risk groups", chief medical officer for England Professor Chris Whitty, said.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... w-17925407

so, what exactly do we take from this? i mean it's bad obviously, but to what extent are they extra deaths, over the 770 others who'll have died normally? We don't really know. It's going to be exaggerated in most of the news. So we have to take precautions, but there's a limit, that can still be a practical limit, it seems to me
In Italy every single death, thousands ,apart from three cases Is due not to corona virus but to preexisting conditions mixer with It.

They are officially counted as corona virus ones and It s Fair in all the world cause those people would be Alive if It werent for the virus.

So trying tondismisd the Number in some state Is not gonna help the monitor of the disease but Just falsify the results and the policies

Zynerji

mmred wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 03:06
Zynerji wrote:
Lol
It's just math. No need to laugh. #-o

strad

I doubt China's honesty the same way I would doubt North Korea .
I don't think you can accept anything from them at face value.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mmred
mmred

Zynerji wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 04:10
mmred wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 03:06
Zynerji wrote:
Lol
It's just math. No need to laugh. #-o
I laugh cause china has more liquidity , avaiable Money, than all other countries put togheter. China even bought usa debt
So. If china bankrupts all the other countries Will already have bankrupted since their debt Is owned by china, and this Is true not for africano people but for usa uk France and so on
Last edited by mmred on 15 Mar 2020, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

izzy
izzy

The virus can stay alive for up to 3 days on plastic and stainless steel surfaces apparently, or 3 hours airborne
https://www.wired.com/story/how-long-do ... -surfaces/
So if we go out touching things really is a risk factor, as well as getting in a confined space with people.

Tho of course so far in the UK only a few people seem to be carriers, but for how long, with that level of persistence

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 12:49
The virus can stay alive for up to 3 days on plastic and stainless steel surfaces apparently, or 3 hours airborne
So if we go out touching things really is a risk factor, as well as getting in a confined space with people.

Tho of course so far in the UK only a few people seem to be carriers, but for how long, with that level of persistence
This is why the advice is to wash your hands regularly, avoid touching your face. This is because you don't catch it through contact on the skin. You catch it when it gets in to your respiratory system - lungs etc., - which is why not touching your mouth and nose with "dirty" hands is important.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

henry

One of the riskier personal items is likely to be the mobile phone. We use them so casually and so frequently that it will be very easy to perform the sequence, touch “dirty” surface, pick up phone, wash hands, pick up phone.

There’s a lot of new habits to form and not too much time.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

izzy wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 12:49

"Only a few people seem to be carriers". who really know the numbers? estimates I read about are really worrying.
Britain on Sunday said its criticised plan to dial with Covit-19 virus was designed to ‘protect life’ in a ‘sustainable’ manner as it prepared to unveil “wartime style” measures to tackle the outbreak. The government has yet to implement the kind of tough measures that continental Europe has adopted, but health minister said Sunday it would announce emergency powers on Tuesday, which are expected to include a ban on mass gatherings. “We are absolutely ready to do that”. He told SKY NEWS, adding “The time is coming”.

PlatinumZealot

Alibaba founder Jack Ma is donating 500,000 test kits and a few million masks to the USA. I believe that China really has things under control at this point.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 14:22
This is why the advice is to wash your hands regularly, avoid touching your face. This is because you don't catch it through contact on the skin. You catch it when it gets in to your respiratory system - lungs etc., - which is why not touching your mouth and nose with "dirty" hands is important.
yes so true. Apparently it's such an instinct to touch your face, it's quite hard to stop yourself, but really important now as you say. There's a video on the BBC site about it