COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Brake Horse Power
Brake Horse Power

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Big Tea wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 23:50
Brake Horse Power wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 22:46
NL_Fer wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 20:21
Dutch PM Rutte just admitted the authorities are choosing for herd immunity.
Yep, seems like the most sensible thing to do at this point. There is no stopping of it anyways.
To pass stringent rules, you have to be prepared to enforce them. If you are not prepared for heavy handed implementation there is no point announcing them. Asking people to do this and not that or telling them are two different things. Do you have police walk up anyone in the street and ask what they are doing there? and if they have no good reason, what then?.
Well I think people here in the Netherlands do their best with social distance, but it is definitely not as stringent as you ask in your message.

But suppose we go in full lock down mode for 3 months, than we are clean until someone from another country flies in and it is drama all over again. The chain is as strong as the weakest link here, maybe that link is us, maybe it is because they don't think the chain is strong enough anyways.

I suppose this whole thing highlights all the weaknesses of our globalized world and we are lucky this virus isn't as lethal as Ebola for example.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

e30ernest wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 06:21
If this turns out to be true, then the herd immunity strategy might not work:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... 1846af5c0f
If people can become infected multiple times then no strategy will work other than a suitable vaccine. Lock down won't work because if there is even just one carrier in a population the disease will emerge again and spread again.

If you can't develop immunity to COVID-19 then we are just going to have to accept large numbers of deaths of the old etc. because there will be no other option. You can't lock down the world indefinitely.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

henry

People just don’t seem to understand what’s happening. Lock downs and other strategies such as the UKs are NOT intended to eliminate the virus, they can’t. They are intended to SLOW the RATE of spread so that health services can cope with those that get seriously ill AND so searches for, and implementations, of, treatments can go ahead and be useful.

It is OUR as well THEIR responsibility to do everything we can not to crash our health systems and have people die before their time. Unfortunately the disease does not only affect those who pursue the, “it’s not in our nature to follow rules” approaches.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Quite so, henry.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 09:34
e30ernest wrote:

If people can become infected multiple times then no strategy will work other than a suitable vaccine. Lock down won't work because if there is even just one carrier in a population the disease will emerge again and spread again.

If you can't develop immunity to COVID-19 then we are just going to have to accept large numbers of deaths of the old etc. because there will be no other option. You can't lock down the world indefinitely.
Yeah precisely. Although, it makes the "herd immunity" strategy even less viable and partial lockdowns/quarantine to be a better solution for preventing the number of cases from skyrocketing out of control. It also means we probably won't see an F1 race happen since this will be a constant threat until the vaccines/anti-virals are out.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

e30ernest wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 10:32
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 09:34
e30ernest wrote:

Yeah precisely. Although, it makes the "herd immunity" strategy even less viable and partial lockdowns/quarantine to be a better solution for preventing the number of cases from skyrocketing out of control. It also means we probably won't see an F1 race happen since this will be a constant threat until the vaccines/anti-virals are out.
Work done in Australia on a woman from Wuhan suggests that the immune system does work. They have identified stages in the body's response that mimic those in influenza response.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-51921403

It's possible that there might be groups who recover and are immune and those that, for some underlying (genetic, perhaps?) reason, don't become immune to the same degree. Or maybe the people who were "recovered" but then "reinfected" never were fully recovered in the first place.

izzy
izzy

e30ernest wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 10:32
People can get a viral infection a second time but it's rare, so once it's gone through the population that should be it,
more or less, it should be flu like in frequency

But apparently 35% of the Valencia football club have tested positive, all with no symptoms! So yes with f1 teams you're probably right, no f1 till there's a vaccine, next year
Last edited by izzy on 17 Mar 2020, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Yeah so far it's too early to tell since there are no proper studies yet. Just "reports". But if stuff like this are true, then it is worrying:

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-02-26 ... 20415.html

Someone just tested positive in my gated community. The house has been cordoned off by security (no one is allowed to come near unless absolutely necessary).

izzy
izzy

e30ernest wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 11:02
Yeah so far it's too early to tell since there are no proper studies yet. Just "reports". But if stuff like this are true, then it is worrying:

Someone just tested positive in my gated community. The house has been cordoned off by security (no one is allowed to come near unless absolutely necessary).
14% tested positive again? Gosh that is a lot. Hope you're going to be ok, which might be light symptoms more than you're never going to get it, by the sound of things, like all of us

e30ernest
e30ernest

izzy wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 11:14
e30ernest wrote:

14% tested positive again? Gosh that is a lot. Hope you're going to be ok, which might be light symptoms more than you're never going to get it, by the sound of things, like all of us
I'm actually at a high risk of getting it, since my wife is a doctor and she sees a lot of possible infected patients (she screens them before sending them off to hospitals for actual testing). I've mentally prepared myself for that. I'm just hoping my kids won't get hit hard.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

e30ernest wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 11:21
izzy wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

I'm actually at a high risk of getting it, since my wife is a doctor and she sees a lot of possible infected patients (she screens them before sending them off to hospitals for actual testing). I've mentally prepared myself for that. I'm just hoping my kids won't get hit hard.
You're not alone! Not sure if you are American or not, but I just heard an expert speak and he suggested when the smoke clears, 20-60% of America will get this virus.

That's a lot of people, and it's only 1 country.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Ringleheim wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 11:51
e30ernest wrote:
izzy wrote:

You're not alone! Not sure if you are American or not, but I just heard an expert speak and he suggested when the smoke clears, 20-60% of America will get this virus.

I'm in the Philippines. We have a low number of cases, but that's also because we lack testing kits. We are on lockdown though, so hopefully that slows the spread down.

izzy
izzy

e30ernest wrote:
Oh, well huge respect to her!! Tho perhaps with her being a doctor you're all actually chock full of antibodies already? who knows of course as it's so completely new but fingers crossed for you all anyway

DChemTech
DChemTech

Ringleheim wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 11:51
e30ernest wrote:
izzy wrote:

Dutch prime minister also said 'the majority' will get it (based on comments from the president of the Dutch institute of health, that over 50% will get it). Merkel has also reiterated the 50-70% originating from an MIT professor's assessment. And yeah, it's realistic. It's a lot of people, and we need to manage to spread that to keep it workable - while trying to maintain a somewhat decent lifestyle whilst in semi-isolation. It's a fine balancing act, but I do support the Dutch approach of self-isolation rather than full lockdown. Messages about re-infections are worrying, but don't negate the underlying idea. If people manage to adhere to social distancing, we can make it trickle rather than overflow. And we can keep living life to some degree at least. Get some sunlight. Go for a (solo) run or bikeride to keep healthy. My biggest worry is that people are just dumb and don't adhere to the measures.

e30ernest
e30ernest

izzy wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 11:58
e30ernest wrote:
Oh, well huge respect to her!! Tho perhaps with her being a doctor you're all actually chock full of antibodies already? who knows of course as it's so completely new but fingers crossed for you all anyway
Thanks! I'm really proud of her.

I actually spoke to her as things started to pick-up regarding this. She didn't need to keep working since she wasn't under any hospital (she works under a private clinic in a mall). But she decided to stay working despite the risk since she said that even the work they're doing in that small clinic would help the bigger hospitals in triaging cases.

LOL at antibodies, yeah she does occasionally bring in some bugs in the house. :D Then again, we also have kids and they bring in nastier bugs from school. :mrgreen: Right now we're pretty much constantly washing our hands and keeping our kids clean. The kids are currently stuck at home until this blows over.