COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pyrone89

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

DChemTech wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 15:47
Pyrone89 wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 12:46
Here the official health organization just (national parlement debate on the virus) projected 5% to die and 14% to have severe (potential permanent) damage of the infected. Based on the number of the Prime Minister of 60% of the Dutch population getting it (which could be higher) that would mean half a million dead and 1,5 million people with sever (potential permanent) damage or more, just in the Netherlands :wtf: .

Stay safe everyone in these times and stick together as one (spiritually, not physically ofcourse as that is bad)!
Were those numbers literally stated? I'm currently listening to the debate, but there are no mentions of such numbers in the exchange that's ongoing now. Also, the same (or an associated - GGD) agency stated earlier this week that the total number of cases is likely strongly underestimated due to self-isolation and incomplete testing; in that case the mortality/permanent injury rate they mention are very high.
They were shared through the attached info they are discussing, that is why it is a link of Tweede Kamer and not just RIVM, as it is actually a piece of info introduced during the proceedings. Clicked on the link I attached?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Pyrone89 wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 17:10
DChemTech wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 15:47
Pyrone89 wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 12:46
Here the official health organization just (national parlement debate on the virus) projected 5% to die and 14% to have severe (potential permanent) damage of the infected. Based on the number of the Prime Minister of 60% of the Dutch population getting it (which could be higher) that would mean half a million dead and 1,5 million people with sever (potential permanent) damage or more, just in the Netherlands :wtf: .

Stay safe everyone in these times and stick together as one (spiritually, not physically ofcourse as that is bad)!
Were those numbers literally stated? I'm currently listening to the debate, but there are no mentions of such numbers in the exchange that's ongoing now. Also, the same (or an associated - GGD) agency stated earlier this week that the total number of cases is likely strongly underestimated due to self-isolation and incomplete testing; in that case the mortality/permanent injury rate they mention are very high.
They were shared through the attached info they are discussing, that is why it is a link of Tweede Kamer and not just RIVM, as it is actually a piece of info introduced during the proceedings. Clicked on the link I attached?
Did now, sorry, thought it just linked to the debate (didn't check the extension..)
Thanks. That's sobering. I expected them to be more pointing towards the uncertainty (seeing the spread of mortality/infectivity, 5% seems to be the worst case they assume there).

DChemTech
DChemTech

Big Tea wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 16:24
DChemTech wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 15:59
e30ernest wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 12:11

Yeah dumb like this:

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-e ... urch-goers
That's next level. Hope we don't see that level of stupidity too often - although my general faith in humanity is rather low on that point.

But yeah, I still feel that an partial lockdown with a good degree of self-isolation should be sufficient. We don't need to keep people in their home 24/7. In fact, movement and fresh air are great boosts for your immune system, and people need to ensure they get sufficient of that despite the measures taken. So, I just went for a small walk, trying to maintain a proper distance to others... but that's very difficult if some *** starts walking behind you, essentially on your heels, in an otherwise nearly deserted street. And similarly, I don't think we need to have all stores closed, but we do need to keep to the necessary measures - especially people that have a cough/cold (Corona or not), should take their responsibility and stay home. Recruit a family member/neighbor to get their needed groceries. But of course, while getting my groceries, there were one or two coughing people in the store. And also in stores, the recommended social distancing was certainly not happening.

And that's why we can't have nice things. Not the major-league stupidity of some religious zealots, but minor breaches of the suggested regulations.
The wife and I are off out for a walk soon. We are lucky and will probably not be within 50 feet of another person the whole time. It makes it far easier to stay in if you know it is not 'locked down'
That's nice. Unfortunately the city center does not make such radical distancing easy. I'll guess I stick mostly to biking when going for some exercise these days - easier to maintain a distance at least.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

If it hasn't already been mentioned here, I think it's now highly likely the 2020 season will be canceled in its entirety. The 2021 season is also likely to be impacted in some way.

henry

Diesel wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 17:53
If it hasn't already been mentioned here, I think it's now highly likely the 2020 season will be canceled in its entirety. The 2021 season is also likely to be impacted in some way.
I agree. Until a medical intervention is available, either a drug to treat symptoms successfully or a vaccine, all we can do is use non medical interventions to slow the spread and manage the load on health services. The Imperial College paper only mentions vaccines and puts them 18 months away, well into next season.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

DChemTech
DChemTech

Diesel wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 17:53
Potentially. I am definitely more pessimistic than a week or two ago. On the other hand, a year is a long time. It's impossible to make any projections at this moment.

edit: it also appears we're now officially in the F1 summer break, which means all factories need to close for the time being.
Last edited by DChemTech on 18 Mar 2020, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

With so many fans staying inside. Entertaining television is a valuable thing to make. Also tv broadcast is a big money maker for F1. I can see them racing without public at the tracks, just for tv. Price and availability of COVID-19 testkits will improve soon. The traveling f1 circus, maybe a little thinner and with proper test and measure procedures, can continue 2nd half of this year.

Big Tea

DChemTech wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 17:31
Big Tea wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 16:24
DChemTech wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 15:59

That's next level. Hope we don't see that level of stupidity too often - although my general faith in humanity is rather low on that point.

But yeah, I still feel that an partial lockdown with a good degree of self-isolation should be sufficient. We don't need to keep people in their home 24/7. In fact, movement and fresh air are great boosts for your immune system, and people need to ensure they get sufficient of that despite the measures taken. So, I just went for a small walk, trying to maintain a proper distance to others... but that's very difficult if some *** starts walking behind you, essentially on your heels, in an otherwise nearly deserted street. And similarly, I don't think we need to have all stores closed, but we do need to keep to the necessary measures - especially people that have a cough/cold (Corona or not), should take their responsibility and stay home. Recruit a family member/neighbor to get their needed groceries. But of course, while getting my groceries, there were one or two coughing people in the store. And also in stores, the recommended social distancing was certainly not happening.

And that's why we can't have nice things. Not the major-league stupidity of some religious zealots, but minor breaches of the suggested regulations.
The wife and I are off out for a walk soon. We are lucky and will probably not be within 50 feet of another person the whole time. It makes it far easier to stay in if you know it is not 'locked down'
That's nice. Unfortunately the city center does not make such radical distancing easy. I'll guess I stick mostly to biking when going for some exercise these days - easier to maintain a distance at least.
That's what I am saying. I sympathise with you (all who are in the same position) and realise it must be very hard.
If thy close the schools it wil become even worse as the kids will probably be in the parks at the time they are now in schools.

I wonder how long until the 'new fashion' of a full isolation suit (encounter suit?) with total enclosure and filtered air UV sterilising etc catch with the glitterati?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

I agree, I definitely see this as a possibility and very large probability too. The only problem is that the deals are in place and venues around the world have paid F1 millions to host a race. The spectators at the track is a very important element for these venues/governments/countries to regain their investment, as well as attracting audiences, tourists etc.

Executing the races without on-track spectators will put a huge dent into their investment, to the point I'm wondering if F1 will have to back-track on their deals in order to 'save part of this season' if not future seasons as well. If not, and you were for example Silverstone, would you continue to host an empty race and spend these millions for nothing... in a time where every country is looking at billions that will be required to back the economy and incoming recession?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

kimetic
kimetic

Surely they have to get something on TV, with a fresh, tailored deal. Crowds are not an option but they have control over team personnel and camera people. A whole season with no F1 means sponsors and TV people get nothing, and a lot of fans will give up and not come back. After the 2-week break teams will be together again in any case.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Phil wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 18:59
I agree, I definitely see this as a possibility and very large probability too. The only problem is that the deals are in place and venues around the world have paid F1 millions to host a race. The spectators at the track is a very important element for these venues/governments/countries to regain their investment, as well as attracting audiences, tourists etc.

Executing the races without on-track spectators will put a huge dent into their investment, to the point I'm wondering if F1 will have to back-track on their deals in order to 'save part of this season' if not future seasons as well. If not, and you were for example Silverstone, would you continue to host an empty race and spend these millions for nothing... in a time where every country is looking at billions that will be required to back the economy and incoming recession?
Ticket sales to spectators only matter to the old school tracks with old school promoters who are still trying to run a traditional racing business model.

All the new age tracks that exist solely to give an "emerging" country some international exposure don't care at all about bodies in seats, which is why they go on paying the fees year after year despite no one actually going to the races.

So it's a mixed bag. A lot of races could occur just fine with no one in attendance. It would hurt a place like Silverstone, Spa, Monza, etc., much worse.

But Baku? China? Russia? The fees there are being paid by national governments and they don't need ticket sales for the whole thing to make economic sense for them.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

They could also slim down in crew, no hospitality. Hell why not 6 person pitstop?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ringleheim wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 20:45

But Baku? China? Russia? The fees there are being paid by national governments and they don't need ticket sales for the whole thing to make economic sense for them.
But the same governments might be wanting that money to pay for COVID-19 costs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

They have put a halt to elective surgeries here. And I was so looking to get a face lift and tummy tuck. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

strad wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 22:39
They have put a halt to elective surgeries here. And I was so looking to get a face lift and tummy tuck. :lol:
Ah, that's where I went wrong. I had a tummy lift and a face tuck
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.