COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy
izzy

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

NL_Fer wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 21:18
They could also slim down in crew, no hospitality. Hell why not 6 person pitstop?
yes there must be lots of alternatives that are better than just giving up. They have to think out of the box and find new ways to race, so there's TV at least and F1 doesn't shrivel completely. I still think choosing one securable track and racing a lot of times with drivers swapping cars could save the day, enough to be worthwhile at least

PlatinumZealot

They could give those who have purchased tickets a special Television package. Maybe radio chat and access to other things. That way they won't feel that bad about not going to the track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Phil wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 18:59
I agree, I definitely see this as a possibility and very large probability too. The only problem is that the deals are in place and venues around the world have paid F1 millions to host a race. The spectators at the track is a very important element for these venues/governments/countries to regain their investment, as well as attracting audiences, tourists etc.

Executing the races without on-track spectators will put a huge dent into their investment, to the point I'm wondering if F1 will have to back-track on their deals in order to 'save part of this season' if not future seasons as well. If not, and you were for example Silverstone, would you continue to host an empty race and spend these millions for nothing... in a time where every country is looking at billions that will be required to back the economy and incoming recession?
Our whole social and economic system is likely to change forever. Economies are already in danger, and this is only the beginning, those millions might not be worth very much in a year's time.

Rodak
Rodak

Diesel wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 01:50
Phil wrote:
I agree, I definitely see this as a possibility and very large probability too. The only problem is that the deals are in place and venues around the world have paid F1 millions to host a race. The spectators at the track is a very important element for these venues/governments/countries to regain their investment, as well as attracting audiences, tourists etc.

Executing the races without on-track spectators will put a huge dent into their investment, to the point I'm wondering if F1 will have to back-track on their deals in order to 'save part of this season' if not future seasons as well. If not, and you were for example Silverstone, would you continue to host an empty race and spend these millions for nothing... in a time where every country is looking at billions that will be required to back the economy and incoming recession?
Our whole social and economic system is likely to change forever. Economies are already in danger, and this is only the beginning, those millions might not be worth very much in a year's time.
Yep. F1 is entertainment and really doesn't matter. Let's talk about this again in a year.

mmred
mmred

Rodak wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 03:49
Diesel wrote:
Phil wrote:

Yep. F1 is entertainment and really doesn't matter. Let's talk about this again in a year.
Some italian regions are on the verge of collapse but the heavy measures are supposed to limit the High numbers in few days ( they already cut the growth from few days ).
And still there are people that After seeing what are the planned uk measures are escaping to italy.

The world has lateady changes. I Wish we could tali about Lewis winning instead of this

Big Tea

mmred wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 09:30
Rodak wrote:
Diesel wrote:

Some italian regions are on the verge of collapse but the heavy measures are supposed to limit the High numbers in few days ( they already cut the growth from few days ).
And still there are people that After seeing what are the planned uk measures are escaping to italy.

The world has lateady changes. I Wish we could tali about Lewis winning instead of this
Why would someone want to 'escape'? Even if you stay in UK you can act exactly the same as if you were in 'lockdown' and stay inside anyway? No one comes around at 7 AM banging your door making you go out.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Big Tea wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 12:16
mmred wrote:
Rodak wrote:

Why would someone want to 'escape'? Even if you stay in UK you can act exactly the same as if you were in 'lockdown' and stay inside anyway? No one comes around at 7 AM banging your door making you go out.
I guess Italian food over UK food? :P Some of my Italian colleagues were saying that (allegedly) when the breakout in north Italy started, one ill person immediately went to visit his mother in the south because he missed her cooking (and thereby, transported the virus south).

I'm originally from one of the Dutch islands, which are still -reportedly- corona free. And what happens? There are tourists, even from Germany, booking trips there to go to a 'corona free haven'. The islanders want them to stay home, of course, but officially travelling is not prohibited...so...

Human stupidity knows no boundaries.

mmred
mmred

Big Tea wrote:
mmred wrote:
Rodak wrote:

U make It too simple.
If the virus spreads It s Better to stay where the contagion Is contained and the healthcare system works.

This for the future.

They all fear the UK measures wont work. But lets face It, uk Will change. They already changed policies After the First studies went out.

But the idea of doing nothing still remains.

It s Just that other countries have been faster to adapt to italian contagion lesson, learning fast that between zero victims and full contagion there are few crucial weeks Even few days.

So some prefeer to come back to an isolated country that promossa to adapt in the future than to stay in another One where the Leaders are perceived as letting the virus do its work

mmred
mmred

DChemTech wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 12:24
Big Tea wrote:
mmred wrote:

I guess Italian food over UK food? :P Some of my Italian colleagues were saying that (allegedly) when the breakout in north Italy started, one ill person immediately went to visit his mother in the south because he missed her cooking (and thereby, transported the virus south).

I'm originally from one of the Dutch islands, which are still -reportedly- corona free. And what happens? There are tourists, even from Germany, booking trips there to go to a 'corona free haven'. The islanders want them to stay home, of course, but officially travelling is not prohibited...so...

Human stupidity knows no boundaries.
This Is exactly why travels should be proihibited

Big Tea

mmred wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 12:36
Big Tea wrote:
mmred wrote:

U make It too simple.
If the virus spreads It s Better to stay where the contagion Is contained and the healthcare system works.

This for the future.

They all fear the UK measures wont work. But lets face It, uk Will change. They already changed policies After the First studies went out.

But the idea of doing nothing still remains.

It s Just that other countries have been faster to adapt to italian contagion lesson, learning fast that between zero victims and full contagion there are few crucial weeks Even few days.

So some prefeer to come back to an isolated country that promossa to adapt in the future than to stay in another One where the Leaders are perceived as letting the virus do its work
What I mean is you have a choice of stay in your home, get essentials delivered and have contact with (almost) 0,
Or Travel to the airport, thousands of people and air that does not get changed much, Sit on a plane with 200 others and recalculated air, another airport as above, then transport to where you stay where you than have to get in essentials in a country which has a much higher number of infections. Add to this all the surfaces you touch along the way from pushbuttons to handles and seat belt that have been touched by many today and you must be hundreds of times more likely to get it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mmred wrote:

Why would anyone rush to Italy at the moment? They have a death rate from the virus that is much higher than anywhere else. They have fewer than half as many cases as China but nearly as many deaths. 2.5 times as many cases as Spain but over 4 times as many deaths.

What is going to determine the survival of people is not the the government's response but the nature of the country itself. Italy has very different social structures to the UK so why would a system that is used in one country work in another? In the UK people tend to live more apart anyway so it's easier to adapt to a regime of "don't go too close to others". In Italy, as in many parts of China, generations of a family live together in many cases. Italy is probably the perfect environment for a contagious virus.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mmred
mmred

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 14:40
mmred wrote:

Why would anyone rush to Italy at the moment? They have a death rate from the virus that is much higher than anywhere else. They have fewer than half as many cases as China but nearly as many deaths. 2.5 times as many cases as Spain but over 4 times as many deaths.

What is going to determine the survival of people is not the the government's response but the nature of the country itself. Italy has very different social structures to the UK so why would a system that is used in one country work in another? In the UK people tend to live more apart anyway so it's easier to adapt to a regime of "don't go too close to others". In Italy, as in many parts of China, generations of a family live together in many cases. Italy is probably the perfect environment for a contagious virus.
These are speculations. While here It s commom to not leave the elders alone we don't live anymore under the same roof from generations.

So back to the tipic. What matters Is the government response

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mmred wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 14:44

No. What matters is the response of the people. Individuals taking responsibility for their actions.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mmred
mmred

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 14:57
mmred wrote:

No. What matters is the response of the people. Individuals taking responsibility for their actions.
Sure. In dreamland nobody needs hints informations and laws

DChemTech
DChemTech

mmred wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 15:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 14:57
mmred wrote:

Sure. In dreamland nobody needs hints informations and laws
I suppose what is meant is that while governments can keep up with all kinds of rules, in the end what matters is whether people follow them. Probably, the regulations could be more relaxed if people did. So I do agree that people's response matters more. But governments need to provide the right cues.