COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
subcritical71

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Capharol wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 19:02
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 18:59
Capharol wrote:
not sure, tbh i don't think so
They should be able to use the Mercedes PU in 2021... Their contract with Renault ends at the end of this year and the contract with Mercedes starts in 2021 and isn’t tied to an specific set of regulations... It would be like having changed this year, unrelated one to the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
its not about if they can use the engine
its about if the Mercedes engine will fit in the chassis without losing aero
What are they defining the chassis to be (its not defined in the tech regulations). I would assume its the area between the nose and he PU interface, but don't think it includes attached bodywork(?)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mmred wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 17:06

Till there s no vaccine the Only solution Is be healthy and get zero exposure
No. One solution is to be healthy, get it and recover. Let's remember that the vast majority will get it and recover just fine.

This is not Ebola.

Heck, measles is a bigger risk in populations that aren't fully vaccinated than Covid-19 is in a similar situation.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bluechris

Just_a_fan wrote:
mmred wrote:

No. One solution is to be healthy, get it and recover. Let's remember that the vast majority will get it and recover just fine.

This is not Ebola.

Heck, measles is a bigger risk in populations that aren't fully vaccinated than Covid-19 is in a similar situation.
Your solution would had been perfect if there where no old people, i suppose it's fine to pass it to your parents or grandparents right?

izzy
izzy

i don't see why Baku will be safe in June . Or Canada or France. I can see the whole season disappearing in dribs and drabs while they dream instead of facing up to reality and planning for races that they can actually hold in the middle of a pandemic. It's a media company, but they don't seem to realise what they can do with it

FrukostScones

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 19:59
mmred wrote:

This is not Ebola.

Not all people are healthy and can afford to go through this disease.
Recovery numbers(especially full recovery?) I'd rather take with a pinch of salt. Also, a lot of still active cases especially in Italy and not too many healed...
Only good thing is they seem to have found a treatment that work using hydroxychloroquine and some other drugs.
So they will be able to cure it very soon...and we don't have to wait for a working and safe vaccine that might never come.
Hopefully they will be able to manufacture these drugs in sufficient numbers quickly...

Regarding F1 in 2020, well how many race will we get? It seems that they still plan to have some racing...
too bad my "how many GP will we see in 2020" was deleted early by the mods (for bad taste, fear mongering?)...anyway.

The 2021 rules postponed with 2020 chassis used in 2021? Bad for McLaren, but I think they will get a exeption rule to have they chassis adapted to the Merc PU...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

bluechris wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 21:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
mmred wrote:

This is not Ebola.

Your solution would had been perfect if there where no old people, i suppose it's fine to pass it to your parents or grandparents right?
If everyone hides and doesn't get the virus, when they come back out of hiding, any source of the virus will cause a new outbreak. And if everyone has been in hiding for weeks, try getting them to go back and do it all again. They won't do it. The result will be huge number of new cases, most of which will be old and will then likely die. The health system will not cope. Lots of people will die.

This is the flaw in the lockdown plan.

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 21:24
If everyone hides and doesn't get the virus, when they come back out of hiding, any source of the virus will cause a new outbreak. And if everyone has been in hiding for weeks, try getting them to go back and do it all again. They won't do it. The result will be huge number of new cases, most of which will be old and will then likely die. The health system will not cope. Lots of people will die.

This is the flaw in the lockdown plan.
yes this is the part of the modelling that not everyone is getting. Eventually any lockdown has to end, and it's going to be before there's a vaccine available, and it's about what happens then.

In the models it's all about the timing. If you lock down too hard too soon then when you let people out it all kicks off again as you say, and you get more total victims than if you wait a bit with a semi lockdown

Obviously if you live with vulnerable people you self-isolate as much as you can, but if you're all low risk it makes sense to actually get it, as soon as services can cope, for the society as a whole, as then you have immunity

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Damn, Italy new cases has just grown with 5322 people. No sign of slowing down after schools are closed now for 2 weeks and lockdown for 10 days.

Capharol
Capharol

Just_a_fan wrote:
mmred wrote:

This is not Ebola.

are you just that dumb?
my wife and me aren't infected (yet) but i need to et groceries, so i might get infected, for me.... no problem... for my wife a huge one because she is a risk due to her illness.... and this selves thinking of what the dutch (i am one myself) wanna do is just plain dumb, because they risk the lives of elder ppl and ppl how are at risk (like my uncle, who has cancer and get chemo) so yeah lets infect ourselves and not even be sure if you are really immum after it
and you know something else ... the virus will stay active till we have found a vaccin, so yeah lets infect ourselves =D> =D>

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Capharol wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 21:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
are you just that dumb?
No. I'm not dumb, thanks. If you insult people you do not do your argument any favours.

You are in a minority group so you need to deal with things differently. But locking down the whole country won't help in your situation. The reason is obvious.

wesley123
wesley123

Capharol wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
mmred wrote:

This is not Ebola.

are you just that dumb?
my wife and me aren't infected (yet) but i need to et groceries, so i might get infected, for me.... no problem... for my wife a huge one because she is a risk due to her illness.... and this selves thinking of what the dutch (i am one myself) wanna do is just plain dumb, because they risk the lives of elder ppl and ppl how are at risk (like my uncle, who has cancer and get chemo) so yeah lets infect ourselves and not even be sure if you are really immum after it
and you know something else ... the virus will stay active till we have found a vaccin, so yeah lets infect ourselves =D> =D>
You clearly missed the point.

The thing here is that to combat it people need to develop immunity. That is realistically the only way to actually battle this, and yes, for people to develop immunity they need to get sick.

Of course, we could all go in lockdown and try to protect ourselves against ever getting it, but as soon as the lockdown is over, we will get the same pandemic because people aren't immune to it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

XRayF1
XRayF1

Just_a_fan wrote:
mmred wrote:

This is not Ebola.

Problem with this approach is that as several cases in China and Japan have proven immunity is not a given.
This specific form of a Coronavirus is not well understood, the scientific and medical community is still at a start.
https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronav ... 19-2457100

Comparisons to other virus strains are not helpful either even if I agree that the mortality rate for this Corona is God bless low.
But it is still 2-3x as high than the real flu.

You are right in saying stay healthy, but to me this is only the first part.
The second part is to actually get the Coronavirus, but ... at the right time.
Why? Because while it may not affect you directly as you are young and healthy, you are a carrier, especially during the time when you do not experience any symptoms. The virus does not distinguishes between healthy people and such with poor health.
And how many of us can actually say with high confidence that they are at the Prime of their life without reservation?

Having said all this, the social separation has only been initiated in order to not overwhelm one's health care system.
Consider 60% of your country's population getting with a mortality rate of 3% ... you do the math as I do not know where you live.

I live in Austria, stringent measures have been taken a week ago to take special care of the elderly and such with poor health. Only if you flatten the curve on new infected and keep it below the maximum number of intensive care beds your country actually has, only then you have a decent chance to pull it through.
For us a potential 1.8% mortality rate means 162,000 deaths. Most probably still within this year.

And this is a death toll I am not messing with...
Would you?

F1 has just been regarded second priority.

Capharol
Capharol

wesley123 wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 22:00
Capharol wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

This is not Ebola.

are you just that dumb?
You clearly missed the point.

The thing here is that to combat it people need to develop immunity. That is realistically the only way to actually battle this, and yes, for people to develop immunity they need to get sick.

Of course, we could all go in lockdown and try to protect ourselves against ever getting it, but as soon as the lockdown is over, we will get the same pandemic because people aren't immune to it.
and its already been proven that you can get it a 2nd time, is it proven that ppl are immum against it? ... no
and the lockdown is not to try to stop it, its there to keep the medical care at a level so EVERY patient, no matter what they have, can be taken care off..... nobody claimed a lockdown cures or kills the virus..... but you and others don't seem to understand it ...

i have heard Netherlands have a shortage on appartments for rent ..... this herd immuminity is a good way to solve that problem ....

Capharol
Capharol

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 22:00
Capharol wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
are you just that dumb?
No. I'm not dumb, thanks. If you insult people you do not do your argument any favours.

You are in a minority group so you need to deal with things differently. But locking down the whole country won't help in your situation. The reason is obvious.
it seems you don't understand WHY we all go into lockdown.... i would suggest read more about Covid and then come back with a better argument

aral
aral

"For us a potential 1.8% mortality rate means 162,000 deaths. Most probably still within this year."

That is a rather alarmist point of view ! The mortality rate is based on the number of people who actually contract coronavirus and not on the total population !