COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

3jawchuck wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 00:02
Source on the F1 teams actually manufacturing medical equipment?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51963897

Matt Hancock, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care in the UK also said tonight that F1 teams were working to manufacture the ventilators.

izzy
izzy

Diesel wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 00:03
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51963897

Matt Hancock, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care in the UK also said tonight that F1 teams were working to manufacture the ventilators.
i think that's a bit of morale-boosting PR tbh, according to https://www.wired.co.uk/article/car-man ... entilators the most they or car manufacturers can do is weld frames and make some components with additive manufacturing

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 21:24
bluechris wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 21:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
No. One solution is to be healthy, get it and recover. Let's remember that the vast majority will get it and recover just fine.

This is not Ebola.

Heck, measles is a bigger risk in populations that aren't fully vaccinated than Covid-19 is in a similar situation.
Your solution would had been perfect if there where no old people, i suppose it's fine to pass it to your parents or grandparents right?
If everyone hides and doesn't get the virus, when they come back out of hiding, any source of the virus will cause a new outbreak. And if everyone has been in hiding for weeks, try getting them to go back and do it all again. They won't do it. The result will be huge number of new cases, most of which will be old and will then likely die. The health system will not cope. Lots of people will die.

This is the flaw in the lockdown plan.
Not true if everybody else outside has reduced in numbers, recovered or died off by time quarantine folks come out. See China for example which recorded zero inside deaths today. All other deaths were from outsiders.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

izzy
izzy

zibby43 wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 23:49
This graph is a simple way to represent why extreme social distancing measures are necessary.

The red line represents surge critical care bed capacity.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETbvzf2UcAA ... name=large

Without the social distancing measures, the healthcare system will be completely overwhelmed.

My fiancee is an ER nurse. I'm terrified for her on a daily basis. Since she is staying at work to help people survive, I ask that everyone else do their part and stay at home.
MASSIVE respect to your fiancee! We here are thinking of you both. This is the full chart tho, with the time extending to a year. It shows what their model predicted if there isn't a vaccine by the time the serious measures are relaxed: it actually gets a bit worse than 'doing nothing'! And it gets worse if they close schools than if they don't, this is why they've delayed it. It all depends exactly when of course.

The bottom chart is the top one zoomed in.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/ ... ly-impact/

PlatinumZealot

strad wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 22:40
20,000 a year in the U.S. from seasonal flu
10,000 from Covid so far world wide.
Both hardest on the old and compromised.
4 weeks gone for the world.. 40 more to go. Multiply that by some exponential factor..and
rate flattening of the curve and reinfections etc and boom.. You are looking at maybe 100,000 dead world wide by the end of the year..

I am not taking this thing lightly. I am healthy and fit but i had asthma as a child. I do not want to catch this thing nor test my immunity! Leave that shizzle to the dare devils. I wanna live to see the year 3,000.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hollus

To inject some optimism, that red line in the model just above assumes constant capacity in the health system. The reality is that the system is building extra capacity right now. More beds are being readied, more ventilators are coming online, as we speak. The health system will be much more capable in a few weeks than it is now.
Rivals, not enemies.

hollus

Which is a good thing because the current level of lockdown in places like Spain cannot be sustained for months.
Rivals, not enemies.

zibby43
zibby43

izzy wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 00:37
zibby43 wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 23:49
This graph is a simple way to represent why extreme social distancing measures are necessary.

The red line represents surge critical care bed capacity.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETbvzf2UcAA ... name=large

Without the social distancing measures, the healthcare system will be completely overwhelmed.

My fiancee is an ER nurse. I'm terrified for her on a daily basis. Since she is staying at work to help people survive, I ask that everyone else do their part and stay at home.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/ImageCropToo ... jpg?r=6329
MASSIVE respect to your fiancee! We here are thinking of you both. This is the full chart tho, with the time extending to a year. It shows what their model predicted if there isn't a vaccine by the time the serious measures are relaxed: it actually gets a bit worse than 'doing nothing'! And it gets worse if they close schools than if they don't, this is why they've delayed it. It all depends exactly when of course.

The bottom chart is the top one zoomed in.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/ ... ly-impact/
Thank you very much for the kind words, izzy. I will share them with her. I hope that you and yours stay safe and healthy during this crazy, stressful time.

She has cared for COVID-19 patients (most of which have been sedated and intubated), and they are starting to feel the crunch on N95 masks and other critical protective gear. Her shifts don't end until 3 am, and I'm such a nervous wreck during that time that I always wait up for her.

Thank you for the additional graph. Sharing this information, concerning as it may be, is hugely beneficial in the fight to mitigate these circumstances. Appreciate it.

zibby43
zibby43

hollus wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 01:02
To inject some optimism, that red line in the model just above assumes constant capacity in the health system. The reality is that the system is building extra capacity right now. More beds are being readied, more ventilators are coming online, as we speak. The health system will be much more capable in a few weeks than it is now.
Agreed. Further steps include cancelling elective medical procedures and hiring new staff (both steps have been taken locally). In my fiancee's department, recently retired nurses are being allowed to come out of retirement and join the fight (the word hero gets overused, but I believe it is entirely appropriate in this case).

The tough part is the exponential surge of cases, particularly as more testing takes place. If a surge in cases requiring hospitalization happens too rapidly, it is going to be extremely difficult to adequately care for some patients for a certain period of time - which not only applies to critical COVID-19 patients, but those with other health conditions as well.

Blackout

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 23:08
Capharol wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 22:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 22:00

No. I'm not dumb, thanks. If you insult people you do not do your argument any favours.

You are in a minority group so you need to deal with things differently. But locking down the whole country won't help in your situation. The reason is obvious.
it seems you don't understand WHY we all go into lockdown.... i would suggest read more about Covid and then come back with a better argument
And you don't understand that a lock down will not stop people dying.

How long should we lock down for? A couple of weeks? A couple of months? Do you even know? And if it's for several months, will it be effective for that long? Can any country even effectively lock down for several weeks or months?

And after the lock down, how many will become infected in the immediate period?
Lockdown until we find a cure... if it lasts too long, protect the weakest and hope the others become immune for this sh***

Zynerji

The sim racing is kicking off... I dont think it will take long for other drivers to be drawn in.

cooken
cooken

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/c ... index.html

Oops.

For something that had never happened before there sure are a lot of experts in here who seem to know precisely what to do huh?

RZS10

Does anyone believe they'll be able to uphold a lockdown for more than a month, maybe two? A majority would simply start ignoring it at some point and then i wanna see any western country roll out the tanks and military to stop them ... lol

I just hope they put together some vaccine, give it to all the old people who were on the clock anyways but keep dying to corona and we can go back to our normal lives, accepting corona as a fact of life, not paying any attention when it kills a few thousand a year just like a bunch of other illnesses/viruses ... (but it will be 'fine' since there will be a vaccine)

I wonder if the large number of young americans being hospitalized has to do with them being fat, that's supposedly a factor, innit?

subcritical71

RZS10 wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 02:06

I wonder if the large number of young americans being hospitalized has to do with them being fat, that's supposedly a factor, innit?
It probably has more to do with spring break for schools and universities being in full swing. Just google what the Florida beaches have looked like for the last 3 weeks... Don’t forget, everyone can catch the virus, the younger generally have a better chance at survival.

zibby43
zibby43

RZS10 wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 02:06
Does anyone believe they'll be able to uphold a lockdown for more than a month, maybe two? A majority would simply start ignoring it at some point and then i wanna see any western country roll out the tanks and military to stop them ... lol

I just hope they put together some vaccine, give it to all the old people who were on the clock anyways but keep dying to corona and we can go back to our normal lives, accepting corona as a fact of life, not paying any attention when it kills a few thousand a year just like a bunch of other illnesses/viruses ... (but it will be 'fine' since there will be a vaccine)

It’s not just the US.

“‘There are concerning reports coming out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and very seriously ill in the ICUs,’ Birx said.”

Any underlying medical condition: hypertension, asthma, obesity, diabetes, immune-system deficiency, etc. can be a complicating factor.

The CNN article linked above stated that the data did not take into account whether the 20-45 year-olds hospitalized had underlying conditions.