COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
e30ernest
e30ernest

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

A lot of the manufacturing would also probably be automated too so they probably will need minimum staff to do it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Interesting juxtaposition of stories: Mercedes working to build kit to help people recover. RedBull working hard to stop a nutty old guy making people ill in the first place... :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 14:49
izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:37
The best thing about the new breather is how the regulatory body fast tracked it, that's something I've been thinking about for all these slightly optimistic ventilator numbers
It's a copy of an existing design, it seems. They apparently reverse engineered it so presumably the simplicity of the design and the fact that it was based on an existing unit, meant getting it signed off was straight forward. Also, it's an air supply rather than a proper ventilator so it's probably easier to get certified anyway.

I'm interested how Mercedes's engine factory will put these together whilst keeping people apart etc. I know "essential work" overrides the social distancing thing, but they don't want to create a pool of infection.
what i read is that HPP did some re-engineering to make it easier to manufacture by various other companies, but yes it's a simpler thing generally isn't it and an awful lot nicer than having a tube in, when it's enough

Some factories are still working aren't they, I suppose they must just use masks and distance, and just accept some extra level of risk like NHS staff

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 14:53
izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:31
Marko actively wanted Red Bull's drivers to get together and get COVID-19.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52091905

Rich guy divorced from reality talks rubbish, shocker. :lol:
I quite like the idea, at some levels. Just for being out of the box and insane, and kind of characteristic of a death-cheating old school racer :)
What it says to me is that he's more interested in getting a title for the team / his boss than he is about the safety of his drivers. Whilst it's true that the vast majority of deaths are old/already ill people, it appears that some younger, otherwise healthy, victims have died too. It should certainly show Alex Albon that, if he didn't already realise it, Marko is happy to throw people under the bus in order to get Max his first title and secure the title of "youngest ever winner!". :evil:
well he probably doesn't think safety is necessarily the biggest thing in life, he raced in an era where they raced with a high level of risk, and they just accepted it. It was kinda (race+risk) or (boring life)! And now, his racing drivers do accept a higher level of risk than a lot of other careers, just less than in his and Niki's day

So it's an attitude i'm attracted to, even if it has that insane winning focus to it. Or because of that. And i have been having one or two very mild symptoms myself, probably it isn't IT but I'm hoping it is, on that same basis that the best thing is a mild infection and get immune while the going's good

And yes Alex is up against it isn't he. But he's not in Max's class tbf and is never going to be. All the teams respond the same way to a star driver, they can feel it, like when DC said he'd go into a meeting and Ron would be all over Mika and not even bother to shake DC's hand! Same when Toto carelessly called Valtteri a wingman, 'Fernando is faster than you' and all the other times. I think Red Bull and Helmut are actually pretty fair, and like with not obviously using the junior team tactically on track, and Multi21 was really a neutral policy between Mark and Sebi. But Mark made a big fuss when Adrian on instinct gave Seb the new wing, and created the myth about bias when he was simply not as good

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 16:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:44

I quite like the idea, at some levels. Just for being out of the box and insane, and kind of characteristic of a death-cheating old school racer :)
What it says to me is that he's more interested in getting a title for the team / his boss than he is about the safety of his drivers. Whilst it's true that the vast majority of deaths are old/already ill people, it appears that some younger, otherwise healthy, victims have died too. It should certainly show Alex Albon that, if he didn't already realise it, Marko is happy to throw people under the bus in order to get Max his first title and secure the title of "youngest ever winner!". :evil:
well he probably doesn't think safety is necessarily the biggest thing in life, he raced in an era where they raced with a high level of risk, and they just accepted it. It was kinda (race+risk) or (boring life)! And now, his racing drivers do accept a higher level of risk than a lot of other careers, just less than in his and Niki's day
It's an indication that he either doesn't think about things in depth or he's unthinking about his drivers. The excuse that he raced in less safe times is no excuse at all really. We live in safer times and suggesting that people put themselves at further unnecessary - uncontrolled - risk is not reasonable behaviour from someone in a senior position.

MtthsMlw

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 16:45
izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 16:08
Just_a_fan wrote:

It's an indication that he either doesn't think about things in depth or he's unthinking about his drivers. The excuse that he raced in less safe times is no excuse at all really. We live in safer times and suggesting that people put themselves at further unnecessary - uncontrolled - risk is not reasonable behaviour from someone in a senior position.
I don't know I agree with him saying it, but I can see more sens init than just get on with it. If, as seems likely, around half the population are going to get at some time one way or another, then there is some thought behind what he says as Max seems to be fretting badly. Its ( at the extreme push) like delaying going to the dentist when you have a tooth twinge. You do it now or its in the back of your mind every time you take a cold drink.

Not saying he is right, just understanding where he is coming from, and taking into consideration Max would get v a man in the street.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

I think Max is probably fretting more about the chance of permanent lung damage (which doesn't seem to be reduced in younger people). He is probably less concerned about getting the illness and recovering from it like it was just a seasonal flu.

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
he's just a risk-taker, thinking like a racer not like their parent. And anyway unless there's a miraculous vaccine at least half of everyone is going to get it, so getting it in a managed environment with everything ready is quite logical, in a bold, death-defying kind of way

anyway i like it. it's just more appealing than sensible and responsible and limiting. And he's not in charge so he's free to suggest these things knowing there are grown-ups who'll make the final decision. It sounds like he was smiling when he said it didn't go down that well

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 18:29
Just_a_fan wrote:
he's just a risk-taker,
Yeah, but he wasn't the one taking the risk, was he?

"I'm a risk taker. Here play Russian roulette between yourselves whilst I sit over here."

aral
aral

Actually, Marko did in fact contract the virus and despite his age etc, he survived it ! His suggestion was a medically proven action which has been used many many times with previous viral infections. And the mortality rate is still comparatively low , with nearly all fit young atheletes being unaffected by it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Still not his risk to take. I wonder what his drivers' insurers would have said if they'd done it and one was incapacitated / killed. What about RedBull's insurers? Would Mark have accepted the responsibility? Would he have paid a huge fine or even gone to prison happily?

It was a silly idea.

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 21:29
izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 18:29
he's just a risk-taker,
Yeah, but he wasn't the one taking the risk, was he?

"I'm a risk taker. Here play Russian roulette between yourselves whilst I sit over here."
well it would've been a risk for Helmut, just imagine if one of his drivers had died! He'd have been in the biggest disgrace you can imagine, and his whole involvement in motorsport would've been over. But it's his perception of risk that's different, he's just weighing up one risk against another, and one of those risks is not winning

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

aral wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 21:47
Actually, Marko did in fact contract the virus and despite his age etc, he survived it !
Got a source for that? He thinks he might have had it because he felt a bit rough in February. Is there any evidence he actually had it? Was he tested? Etc.
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 30 Mar 2020, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.