COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

strad wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 20:03
They have now admitted that their predictions were way off because as usual their models were based on faulty numbers. GIGO :wink:
Who and which models?

hollus

Thanks, etusch.

Regarding death rates, I heard this (no source, might be an urban legend): In Spain, everyone dying WITH coronavirus (and tested positive) is counted as a Covid-19 victim; while in Germany, only people that tested positive and did not have any other pre-existing condition, is counted ad dying OF Covid-19, all others are counted for the pre-existing condition.
Again, source is hearsay, so might not be true, but it would certInly explain the different numbers.
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

hollus wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 23:40

Again, source is hearsay, so might not be true, but it would certInly explain the different numbers.
There is much discussion about the difference between "dying of" and "dying with".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

If you die with it with any form of acute respiratory failure.. Yeah... I would count it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

etusch

hollus wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 23:40
Thanks, etusch.

Regarding death rates, I heard this (no source, might be an urban legend): In Spain, everyone dying WITH coronavirus (and tested positive) is counted as a Covid-19 victim; while in Germany, only people that tested positive and did not have any other pre-existing condition, is counted ad dying OF Covid-19, all others are counted for the pre-existing condition.
You're welcome.
It was not everything in it.
the doctor also says that he made tests for other viruses and got positive result from some of them and says if I do same with covid it also can be positive but he refuses to do covid test patients who came to him and send them to home. I don't know if all german doctors do the same. if they do same it means that this is the right thing to do.

I have read a news that was about a turkish family lives in netherland. A young woman says that her mother was ill and 6-7 month ago her hearth stopped. Then doctors were able to make her hearth run. ( I hope I am not using too strange words) . The daughter says her mother has been taken to hopital because of symptoms of cov19. A while later she takes a call from hospital that says her mother's condition is getting worse and a second call says she completed her life. because of virus suspect she can not see her mother and can not be beside her during last moments which is important in a islam. whatever her mother's test declared negative after old woman buried. I don't know if the government count this death from covid

Capharol
Capharol

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 00:19
If you die with it with any form of acute respiratory failure.. Yeah... I would count it.
i wouldn't because there is no evidence Covid 19 killed the person.

let me rephrase the question, person X is incurable ill, get infected with covid, dies 1 or 2 weeks later, is this due to covid or is it because the person was incurable ill anyway..... yes covid helped that illness to weaken the person even more, but due to the fact he/she was ill already you can't say its due to covid

izzy
izzy

It's a huge grey area for a lot of deaths, in the UK 50% are over 80 years old, but actually it doesn't really matter exactly, as long as you stay consistent with it and keep counting to the same criteria so you can plot the curve. 708 in the UK yesterday, still climbing

Big Tea

There is also some debate as to which deaths are counted. The UK figure seems to be only those that occurred in Hospitals, not home or carehome.

This is interesting BTW (TL:DR again)

When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

Capharol wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 10:25
PlatinumZealot wrote:

let me rephrase the question, person X is incurable ill, get infected with covid, dies 1 or 2 weeks later, is this due to covid or is it because the person was incurable ill anyway..... yes covid helped that illness to weaken the person even more, but due to the fact he/she was ill already you can't say its due to covid
You are completely right. It is something like "A man is cancer and dies in a car accident because of cancer."

etusch

Big Tea wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 12:23
There is also some debate as to which deaths are counted. The UK figure seems to be only those that occurred in Hospitals, not home or carehome.

This is interesting BTW (TL:DR again)

I think this is a really good point. We have to question health system. We have to question that if doctors really open to use every way of curing as long as it works or just stick what they are taught?
I think money spoiling everything because of human nature and education which says mone equel success. Money is very important to make researches for developing technology or any other thing. Money is in hand of people who are wanting to get more and more from it and they are supporting these researches with their money for keep themself more competitive. Universities take money from gov which also got that places with support of rich people. So when they make a research and if it gives a result which can cause money loss for the man who supported that research with his money, I don't think they will let us to know that result.
A woman (a professor in a university) in Turkey said that loading suger during pregnancy is wrong and doesn't give any real result, then she got very bad answer from all around of turkish health system. They were very angry about what.she had said. Then she banned from performing her profession for 15 days just because of what she said. If they were open minded and gives importance to science as they said when they were talking, they have to take what she had said as a new data to work on make research on it. they can proove that if it is true or not. But they just decided to ban her.

PlatinumZealot

Capharol wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Thats why i said if they died with respiratory issues.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

strad

drug-induced sudden cardiac death.
For a change it's me that has to ask for a source. I said a long while back that it had some serious side effects but I didn't see sudden cardiac death as one of them There is a very slim chance of a really bad allergic reaction that could cause death.
As for the person that asked for a source about the faulty model numbers, I can only ask, don't you watch the news.
The CDC and other sources have talked about it for the last 3 or so days.
When the CDC says they got it wrong you better believe it because they are about to admit they got something wrong unless it is pretty well proven.
The models for this and other things they model are way influenced by garbage in getting garbage out. In the model/prediction for death they admit they were off by 4 fold.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

strad wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 20:45
As for the person that asked for a source about the faulty model numbers, I can only ask, don't you watch the news.
The CDC and other sources have talked about it for the last 3 or so days.
I don't watch American news, everything is political in the USA, everyone has there own facts there. It's a weird country.

The models I follow are tracking pretty well withing uncertainty at the moment.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I only look at amount of hospital entries and how much new people has to go to ICU. The only guide to see if the taken measurements (restrictions) are having enough effect. For countries who acted 3 weeks ago, the results look promising.

For the amount of deaths is better to look at total deaths for each week, compared to 2019. Than also people who die at home or in care-homes are counted.

For the Netherlands, week 13 wil probably have 4300 deaths (not official yet), compared to 3100 which is the average. The official corona death count is only 600 for the same week.

Capharol
Capharol

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 14:35
Capharol wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Thats why i said if they died with respiratory issues.
What if they had lung cancer in the final stage? Still covid?