COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RZS10

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

hollus wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 23:40
Thanks, etusch.

Regarding death rates, I heard this (no source, might be an urban legend): In Spain, everyone dying WITH coronavirus (and tested positive) is counted as a Covid-19 victim; while in Germany, only people that tested positive and did not have any other pre-existing condition, is counted ad dying OF Covid-19, all others are counted for the pre-existing condition.
Again, source is hearsay, so might not be true, but it would certInly explain the different numbers.
That's just some garbage rumour ... viewtopic.php?p=896424#p896424

Similar to one i heard from a friend from the UK ... that Germany supposedly wasn't testing people above the age of 60 so that their deaths wouldn't count towards the statistic ... which can easily be disproven by a quick look at the data ... lol

nzjrs

A nice general overview of modelling the pandemic: https://unherd.com/2020/04/how-likely-a ... ronavirus/ (a small note about definitional differences too and their effect)

henry

nzjrs wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 12:01
A nice general overview of modelling the pandemic: https://unherd.com/2020/04/how-likely-a ... ronavirus/ (a small note about definitional differences too and their effect)
A very interesting article, thanks for posting.

An interesting side effect of the current lockdown approach might be that it will provide significant input to other important models that are used to shape societies behaviour. The effect of pollution on normal illnesses, particularly respiratory and mental health, the effect of lockdowns and stimuluses on economies and the extent to which global supply chains affect the wellbeing and sovereignty of individual nations. That’s just a few, there will be many opportunities to learn more about how our societies function because of this enforced experiment.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Private Eye's view of the UK situation: https://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections. ... issue=1519

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Williams and RacingPoint are furloughing staff and the drivers and senior personnel are taking a 20% pay cut. That means they are getting 80% of their pay which is what the furloughed staff will get on the UK Government's furlough payment scheme. Although it must be said that the furloughed staff will only get a maximum of £2500/month on that scheme even if 80% would have been much more. Presumably the furloughed staff are all on less than that as a monthly salary.

It's good that the drivers and senior staff are taking a hit too, even if it's obviously easier to take if you're already getting paid very well to start with.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

kimetic
kimetic

Tesla Ventilator on the way:

In principle it could help speed the transition from lockdown to more normal activity, along with all the other fine efforts.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Is Elon going to start accusing medics of being deviants...? #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Some UK companies started delivering them
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/firs ... ufacturing

I am a big Musk fan so sad to read this
https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrobers ... ul-enough/

He did his best and getting knocked for it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 20:18
Is Elon going to start accusing medics of being deviants...? #-o
well it's Elon. everybody knows what'll happen next if they tell him to shove them up his ass :lol: . But hopefully they're much too polite for that

izzy
izzy

Big Tea wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 20:29
Some UK companies started delivering them
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/firs ... ufacturing

I am a big Musk fan so sad to read this
https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrobers ... ul-enough/

He did his best and getting knocked for it
yes me too, it's a pity he called them ventilators instead of breathers really, but that batch was only ever supposed to be cpap. Perhaps they could do with filters, not sure, but they are great for a lot of people who aren't quite really needing a full ventilator. Anyway it's a good feeling that HPP and Tesla and various other awesome teams are working away for the general good of everybody

LM10
LM10

Boris Johnson put in the ICU.

PlatinumZealot

LM10 wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 21:31
He happens to be a weak cow in the herd I guess.

Hope he pulls through.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 22:10
LM10 wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 21:31
He happens to be a weak cow in the herd I guess.

Hope he pulls through.

'apparently' he has recovered form Covid19 but now has a viral lung infection.

kimetic
kimetic

Big Tea wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 22:25
That would be a welcome surprise! But so far he's on the established trajectory for a serious case of Covid-19, 10 days after the initial signs and now probably on oxygen with a temperature and a persistent cough. He's a bit overweight, probably unfit and has a high stress lifestyle. The Guardian for example isn't believing anything coming out of No10, and the Independent is drawing a picture of evasiveness:
Downing Street has refused to say if Boris Johnson required oxygen treatment after being taken to hospital, but has described his condition as “comfortable”.

In the first update since the prime minister was admitted, his spokesman said he was “in good spirits” and receiving official documents in his red box to his bedside – underlining his determination to stay in charge.

However, No 10 dropped the description of Mr Johnson’s coronavirus symptoms as “mild”, calling his high temperature and cough “persistent” – revealing that Tuesday’s cabinet meeting had been cancelled.

And his spokesman declined to say if it was correct that Mr Johnson had received oxygen, to help with his breathing, saying only: “I don’t know the origins of those reports.”

Big Tea

kimetic wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 22:45
Big Tea wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 22:25
That would be a welcome surprise! But so far he's on the established trajectory for a serious case of Covid-19, 10 days after the initial signs and now probably on oxygen with a temperature and a persistent cough. He's a bit overweight, probably unfit and has a high stress lifestyle. The Guardian for example isn't believing anything coming out of No10, and the Independent is drawing a picture of evasiveness:
Downing Street has refused to say if Boris Johnson required oxygen treatment after being taken to hospital, but has described his condition as “comfortable”.

In the first update since the prime minister was admitted, his spokesman said he was “in good spirits” and receiving official documents in his red box to his bedside – underlining his determination to stay in charge.

However, No 10 dropped the description of Mr Johnson’s coronavirus symptoms as “mild”, calling his high temperature and cough “persistent” – revealing that Tuesday’s cabinet meeting had been cancelled.

And his spokesman declined to say if it was correct that Mr Johnson had received oxygen, to help with his breathing, saying only: “I don’t know the origins of those reports.”
I did not fancy him as PM, but TBH I do not see anyone better at the moment. He has taken a 'Churchilian' position which while not my pet is better than any of the other leaders could put forward.

Edit. After posting this i realise where the thread may go so will sneak away without responding to replies.