COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Zynerji

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

With the current data trend, I can see the USA moving to an "At Your Own Risk" position about the lockdown by this weekend. The numbers are already driving the market up, and they are surely the ones most closely following the non-hysteric data.

strad

numbers come from a number of sources.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full ... r-covid-19
https://www.politico.com/interactives/2 ... new-cases/
Also for those that slammed me for touting Chloroquine.
One of the top immunologists in the world, in France has tested over 1000 people using Chloroquine without any cardiac problems and the top guy in the U.S. treating Lupus has 800 patients using Chloroquine, it is the go to drug for Lupus, without any serious side effects and no cardiac failures.
Also of antidotal note is that not one of those 800 have come down with Covid 19.
I certainly do not endorse dropping the stay at home no groups guidelines. That seems to be helping a lot IF people would actually do it and not relax.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

Stay-at-Home is unnecessary in the US at this point. Every non-hysteric, non-Trump-hating news source agrees.

At this point, it's a political crisis thats being milked to attack Trump more than it is a true viral pandemic.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

So Montreal is added to the list. Most of us figured that would be the case a long time ago.

I don't think we should expect any F1 all summer long. The question moving forward is whether or not they will have any type of unusual "2020 Season" at all.

If they do, it will be with reduced races, and a really innovative approach, such as 2 day weekends, perhaps re-configuring the schedule to make more sense geographically speaking, less time between races, and a greatly extended end of year date.

The thing I would like to know right now is what is going to happen to the NFL season in the USA. It should begin in early September, and everyone involved with that is afraid to really comment at this point, but I don't think the NFL season will start as planned.

If that is the case, there won't be any F1 in September either.

Either F1 finds a way to shove a shortened calendar into a short period of time at the end of calendar year 2020 and perhaps into the beginning of calendar year 2021 as well, or there isn't going to be any season this year at all.

At least that's my take on it.

Big Tea

strad wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 21:14
numbers come from a number of sources.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full ... r-covid-19
https://www.politico.com/interactives/2 ... new-cases/
Also for those that slammed me for touting Chloroquine.
One of the top immunologists in the world, in France has tested over 1000 people using Chloroquine without any cardiac problems and the top guy in the U.S. treating Lupus has 800 patients using Chloroquine, it is the go to drug for Lupus, without any serious side effects and no cardiac failures.
Also of antidotal note is that not one of those 800 have come down with Covid 19.
I certainly do not endorse dropping the stay at home no groups guidelines. That seems to be helping a lot IF people would actually do it and not relax.
Yeh, sorry I added an edit to my post, probably right after you read it :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Zynerji wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 21:20
Stay-at-Home is unnecessary in the US at this point. Every non-hysteric, non-Trump-hating news source agrees.

At this point, it's a political crisis thats being milked to attack Trump more than it is a true viral pandemic.
Ummm...that's not right at all. Keep watching Fox.

:lol:

aral
aral

"Though i still believe that racing in Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam and China (seems the pandemic is almost done there) in the summer would be possible since the situation in all these countries is already way better than EU and by summer i think they will be even better!"

To claim that the pandemic is "almost done" in any country , is not accepting the reality of the situation. just because the numbers of newly reported cases are reducing, this does not mean in any way that the pandemic is over. It wont be over until there is a vaccine. All that is happening is that some countries have managed to contain it. Numbers are reducing due to strict lock downs and restriction of travel etc. the virus is still there !
We all would like racing to begin as soon as possible, but it is far more important to eliminate the virus first before there can be any consideration to holding races again.

"Also for those that slammed me for touting Chloroquine.
Also of antidotal note is that not one of those 800 have come down with Covid 19."

That is a comment of no value of any sort. There are thousands of immunologists around the world working on a vaccine, and just because ONE such person is claiming that Chloroquine works, that does not make it fact. It just shows that for some people, it MAY have had an effect. And so 800 people with lupus have not contracted Covid 19 ? Maybe consider the 100s of millions of the population who have not contracted the virus......the figures mentioned mean ZILCH !

In my opinion, for some unqualified people to make wild statements on these fora, is actually quite dangerous as it can provide false hope to others. Leave the claims of a cure up to the experts , who at this moment of time have NO idea as to how to control or eliminate the virus!
We can all manage with missing racing for a while, if it means that the virus can be properly handled.

"

hollus

Let’s not go down into party politics, please...
Rivals, not enemies.

nzjrs

I thought the USA would last another week before they mounted the mission accomplished banner, but I guess I was wrong!

Zynerji

Ringleheim wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 21:27
Zynerji wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 21:20

Ummm...that's not right at all. Keep watching Fox.

:lol:
Not Fox... :roll:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/0 ... urs-video/

When there is a proven success of a drug that we have in abundance, and it works faster than Zicam, the continuation of hysteria is a hoax. Period.

daren_p
daren_p

AMG.Tzan wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 20:51
Just as i was saying it could be the first race of the season! :lol: :lol:

Ooooh Lord...if the Canadian GP is postponed then there will be no GPs all summer long for sure! I don't see how if we can't race in a country that is in a much better situation than Europe, we can race in Europe itself! So maybe Singapore is a good bet now!
Unfortunately, as far as F1 is concerned, the province of Quebec (where the F1 race is held) was/is the hardest hit across Canada.

Zynerji

aral wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 21:36
"Though i still believe that racing in Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam and China (seems the pandemic is almost done there) in the summer would be possible since the situation in all these countries is already way better than EU and by summer i think they will be even better!"

To claim that the pandemic is "almost done" in any country , is not accepting the reality of the situation. just because the numbers of newly reported cases are reducing, this does not mean in any way that the pandemic is over. It wont be over until there is a vaccine. All that is happening is that some countries have managed to contain it. Numbers are reducing due to strict lock downs and restriction of travel etc. the virus is still there !
We all would like racing to begin as soon as possible, but it is far more important to eliminate the virus first before there can be any consideration to holding races again.

"Also for those that slammed me for touting Chloroquine.
Also of antidotal note is that not one of those 800 have come down with Covid 19."

That is a comment of no value of any sort. There are thousands of immunologists around the world working on a vaccine, and just because ONE such person is claiming that Chloroquine works, that does not make it fact. It just shows that for some people, it MAY have had an effect. And so 800 people with lupus have not contracted Covid 19 ? Maybe consider the 100s of millions of the population who have not contracted the virus......the figures mentioned mean ZILCH !

In my opinion, for some unqualified people to make wild statements on these fora, is actually quite dangerous as it can provide false hope to others. Leave the claims of a cure up to the experts , who at this moment of time have NO idea as to how to control or eliminate the virus!
We can all manage with missing racing for a while, if it means that the virus can be properly handled.

"
That is some strong statements. I hope the censorship inferred in your post is never allowed to come to pass.

The actual data that is being produced does not support your statements. You may be the dangerous one here...

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 22:02
When there is a proven success of a drug that we have in abundance, and it works faster than Zicam, the continuation of hysteria is a hoax. Period.
Fwiw im weakly neutral (risk calculus alone) on Chloroquine, but it's really not as clear as some think. Here is a thorough and recent summary of some new data and a reanalysis of the French data. https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/a ... or-april-6

America politicizes everything and it isn't helpful.

aral
aral

No censorship even implied ! Just let actual proven facts emerge rather than quoting random figures in an effort to support any argument.
Personally i am in the high risk category and am in a strict lockdown, however, if you want actual figures.....the number of confirmed cases in my country is only at .01% of the population. Of these, 3% have unfortunately passed away with 90% of those being over 65 and with underlying health problems. Currently figures are far far lower than normal flu, but that does not mean that i do not have concerns for myself, so will do all i can to avoid catching the virus.

izzy
izzy

nzjrs wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 22:12
Zynerji wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 22:02
Fwiw im weakly neutral (risk calculus alone) on Chloroquine, but it's really not as clear as some think. Here is a thorough and recent summary of some new data and a reanalysis of the French data. https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/a ... or-april-6

America politicizes everything and it isn't helpful.
that's some great googling :kiss: No seriously
hydroxychloroquine itself actually lowers the activity of the innate immune system
this is why proper clinical testing takes so long
and anyway:
Coronavirus: New York reports highest single-day virus death toll
it sounds like chaos, releasing 1,000 prisoners and everything. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52205118