Honda F1 in trouble, and withdraw from F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Chaparral

Re: Honda F1 in trouble, and withdraw from F1

It wont be long now or so Im led to believe from a colleague in Bahrain - and it will be someone totally unexpected......
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

WhiteBlue

Willi Weber has terminated his A1GP involvement. So what is he going to do next year? He surely knows plenty of people with money to spend and usually gets them to splash it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

There you go WB! And just like I suggested earlier, offer M. Schumacher to drive for the compensation of a share of the team.
Imagine that, no problems with sponsors there!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

cba_
cba_

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72738

No engine, team going down the drain now? :cry:

axle
axle

cba_ wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72738

There are other options...like Cosworth, don't forget the engine is a minor issue now, since they are all equalised.
- Axle

timbo
timbo

axle wrote:

There are other options...like Cosworth, don't forget the engine is a minor issue now, since they are all equalised.
That's true but the oher possibility is that Ferrari people are not considering chanses of Honda revival as realistic. They may have insider info thru the Ross Brawn link. I hope I'm wrong on this.

WhiteBlue

Michael Schumacher has finished his carreer of competitive driving in F1.

I would think that Ferrari may not be pleased by the internal manipulations at Honda F1. If Fry is allowed to continue nothing but desaster for all concerned can follow. Who wants to be involved in that?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

pipex
pipex

axle wrote:

Or they can use Fry as an engine, like in The Flinstones cars :P
"We will have to wait and see".

pipex
pipex

One thing that has not been discussed before is what about the Honda KERS. In the case that another engine is found, i don't know if the KERS that Honda designed could be used with it. If the Honda KERS is mounted at the crank, the modifications that need to be done won't be trivial, possible leading to mechanical reliability problems. They have not very much time to test this hypothetical system in the bench and making the necessary modifications. Or i could be wrong about this...
This creates another question, how much is KERS linked with the stress characteristics of the engine and its electronic control?. I think that if Honda survives, they should get a engine+KERS package.

xpensive
xpensive

In all honesty, I consider a KERS system to be one of the smallest problems that the Brackley team is facing, when not even Ferrari seems certain to run it to begin with.
Financing through sponsorship is obviously the major stumbling block, an area where Fry has not been very successful over the past years to put it politely.

The other options, such as Mexican telecom-tycoons, Greek property-magnates or Bahrain oil-sheiks with nothing better to do with 300 MUSD are just earth-dreams.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

pipex
pipex

Yup, KERS is one of the smallest problems. I only wanted to know if someone knows more details about this :P. These days have been boring for me...

Conceptual
Conceptual

Does anyone know where the Honda engines from 2007 are? Can they not be rebuilt and ran still using the Honda name, just not support?

Didn't Cosworth claim to do that?

There is the answer! Get Cosworth to rebuild/tune the Honda 2007 V8's, and run em that way!

timbo
timbo

Conceptual wrote:There is the answer! Get Cosworth to rebuild/tune the Honda 2007 V8's, and run em that way!
Time, time, time...
With about 1.5 month left (even left) such decision have to be made in coming few days.
This is sad, but with the way things go I think we gonna see third cars in Melbourne.

axle
axle

Mercedes have offered their engines now, if the new Honda are suitably financed.
- Axle

timbo
timbo

axle wrote:Mercedes have offered their engines now, if the new Honda are suitably financed.
That means that in time left there should be confirmation of a purchase, contract agreement with Mercedes reached, they have to receive engines, accomodate it in chassis (remember that 6 weeks that RB said) - quite a lot of work to do!
Maybe Fry hopes that if he buys team he can persuade Honda to continue with engines?