Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: Red Bull RB5

One thing though, there is a screw housing just beneath it. Nose cone fixing or external access to suspension setting? Do these cars usually have such ways of setting without disassembling?

Agerasia
Agerasia

rjsa wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote:I dunno if it is (purely) structural - would you not try to build the reinforcement in lower down the chassis? (c.g.)
Look it the way around: he moved the upper center section of the nosecone and cockpit down instead of raising the edges, but he needed some extra reinforcement there.

It could be aero also, but too things bother me:

-Too smooth curves, shallow channel - don't know how much flow it would retain.
-It would be pushing flow within cockpit and against the helmet, not very desirable.

About housing the torsion bars, I don't think it's a great idea to do so much to raise the position of these elements.

It's my understanding of it only, I may very well be entirelly wrong.
They stop airflow escaping from the side of the nose section. The "humps" are actually quite decieving when looked at head on, as they extend right back near the sidepods.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

Shaddock

Agerasia wrote:
rjsa wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote:I dunno if it is (purely) structural - would you not try to build the reinforcement in lower down the chassis? (c.g.)
Look it the way around: he moved the upper center section of the nosecone and cockpit down instead of raising the edges, but he needed some extra reinforcement there.

It could be aero also, but too things bother me:

-Too smooth curves, shallow channel - don't know how much flow it would retain.
-It would be pushing flow within cockpit and against the helmet, not very desirable.

About housing the torsion bars, I don't think it's a great idea to do so much to raise the position of these elements.

It's my understanding of it only, I may very well be entirelly wrong.
They stop airflow escaping from the side of the nose section. The "humps" are actually quite decieving when looked at head on, as they extend right back near the sidepods.
See below

Ian P.
Ian P.

I expect the discussions on the Nose Humps will go on for a while yet.
My bet is that the humps are just the remnants of a packaging decision. The Push-Rods need to produce a vertical force at the wheel hub. As the angle of the rod gets shallower, the horizontal forces on the A-Arms and the chasis go up significantly, Fx=Fz/Tan angle.
The higher the pivot point and the crank-arm, the steeper the angle and the lower the internal suspension (horizontal)loads. Unfortunately higher pivots mean interference in the airflow.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I saw a close-up picture of Coulthards RB4 when the front suspension failed and the pushod went through the monocoque. Maybe the humps allow for greater strength and reinforcement, along with the aero purpose of guiding airflow through that area.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Tim.Wright

Nice looking design

I was looking at a close up of the offending rear suspension arm (near the exhaust). The heat shield looks like it would contain a gap of moving air between the shield surface and the structural member. There is a little hole on the out board side of the sheild which looks like it could be a little air outlet.

If air is constantly being fed through the length of the air gap, then there would be very little convection occuring through to the wishbone.

So it actually looks like a fair bit of thought has gone into it. Anyone else agree with me? Sorry to bring this up again, I bet most of you thought this issue had been all but exhausted haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EDIT: have a look here http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/RB.jpg there appears to be a little temperature sticker on the RHS of the bodywork near the exhausts, so I'm pretty sure their engineers are all over it.
Not the engineer at Force India

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

Looking at the raised ridges along the sides of the nose cone my guess is that its helping them to get the best of both worlds.

What i mean by that is there has been comment made about the height of the noses on these cars and the visibility for the drivers. you can tell when looking at some of the shots of the RB5 that the drivers eye line is seriously low.

Is it possible that they have opted for that design as it allows the driver adequate vision but gives them the advantages of having an even higher nose cone (which apparently they think is the way to go) perhaps the extra height helps to direct more air into and over the top of the sidepods?

djos

Moanlower wrote:
djos wrote:
Moanlower wrote: And ...? :roll:
WTF, are you so thick that you need a RedBull Press release explained to you? [-X
Pardon me, had to vent a little. :oops: Some people are lightning fast to bash you for just trying to contribute, but disappear if the subject is getting confirmed. Thats kinda why I reacted to a C&P from a rather useless diary. :wink: Does that make any sense? :wtf: The reason could also be having a bad day.
Thats cool, I over reacted a bit too! :oops:
"In downforce we trust"

noname
noname

SoliRossi wrote:(...) Is it possible that they have opted for that design as it allows the driver adequate vision but gives them the advantages of having an even higher nose cone (which apparently they think is the way to go) perhaps the extra height helps to direct more air into and over the top of the sidepods?
my guess is that shape of the nose is driven primarily by aero requirements and the visibility is of second importance. RB5's design my improve flow going into air vent over driver's head and thus allowing to make it smaller (reduced drag). at the same time quality of the flow directed over the sidepods could be improved.

Newey's is known from creating details making difference.

Carbon
Carbon

Quite an interesting video from Red Bull, reviewing the important regulation changes coming in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dzSBtmytmk

Enjoy.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Carbon wrote:Quite an interesting video from Red Bull, reviewing the important regulation changes coming in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dzSBtmytmk

Enjoy.
Thanks but it was posted exactly 17 pages ago :)

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Tim.Wright wrote:Nice looking design

I was looking at a close up of the offending rear suspension arm (near the exhaust). The heat shield looks like it would contain a gap of moving air between the shield surface and the structural member. There is a little hole on the out board side of the sheild which looks like it could be a little air outlet.

If air is constantly being fed through the length of the air gap, then there would be very little convection occuring through to the wishbone.

So it actually looks like a fair bit of thought has gone into it. Anyone else agree with me? Sorry to bring this up again, I bet most of you thought this issue had been all but exhausted haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EDIT: have a look here http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/RB.jpg there appears to be a little temperature sticker on the RHS of the bodywork near the exhausts, so I'm pretty sure their engineers are all over it.
First off Tim, welcome to the forum. I agree, I came to the same conclusion while examining that section. It appears that Newey decided to place the exhaust and suspension components based on his criteria, and manufactured a solution when it became apparent when a conflict appeared.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

xpensive
xpensive

My humble question was (is) to what extent Red Bull can design the exhaust and how much is decided by Renault?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

axle
axle

xpensive wrote:My humble question was (is) to what extent Red Bull can design the exhaust and how much is decided by Renault?
The specific we'll never know as we arn't privy to the contract. However I expect that at the very least RB can affect it from the collector, but more likely they have gone for a full redesign of the manifold to suite. I think Renault would be quite accomodating.

We need a shot of each with the engine cover off...
Last edited by axle on 16 Feb 2009, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
- Axle

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

xpensive wrote:My humble question was (is) to what extent Red Bull can design the exhaust and how much is decided by Renault?
You know xpensive, that is one of the most acute and relevant questions I have heard, ever.
The exhaust diameter, lengths, and shape is determined by thousands of hours of calculations and testing. You can't just take a hacksaw and chop off a few offending inches, that just doesn't happen today.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.