2020 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Oct 31 - Nov 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2020 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Oct 31 - Nov 01

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 01:15
Russell has not been out qualified in his career and even the thought of him being in a Merc seems to unsettle Lewis fans!
Oh come on Schuttelberg, you can do better than that. This discussion about Russel had zero to do with Hamilton. Just talking civil about what are effectively opinions. I wont take offense about you being annoyed about Bottas occupying the Mercedes seat, you shouldnt for me for taking a wait and see approach in regards to young Russel. And btw; i’d have no problem with Russel being alongside Hamilton. Contrary to most in here, i’m just doubtful it would change much.

Care to disagree, i wont argue this point further as it’s all speculative anyway.

About the race; i think the start could be spicey. It’s a very long straight. I expect the tow to be quite effective.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 01:54
Mercedes is a British team with German money. ;-) lol.

I'm kidding. It is the money that counts. So the German flag is lifted.
Look at the bright side if Racing Point should win, they'll raise the Union Jack even though the the money is Canadian.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

komninosm
komninosm

Phil wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 17:41
El Scorchio wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 16:04
And all the above is why this non consistency in track limits is so stupid.

Did he or didn’t he? Which corner? What are the rules at that corner?

It. Should. Be. The. Same. For. Every. Corner.
No it shouldnt. Most corners are “self policed”. You leave the track, you lose time. Penalty already there. The corners that are being policed are the ones where leaving the track doesnt lose but gains you time, hence why they are policed.
Can't they make it so all corners are "self policed"?
I'm guessing there are safety concerns, but even still...

djos

I don’t know why just can’t just make it simple!

Eg you must have a minimum of 2 wheels inside the white line at all times. Simple!
"In downforce we trust"

sp8472
sp8472

2020 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Oct 31 - Nov 01

It’s a beautiful track. It’s great seeing houses so close. Just like Bathurst here is Australia

Racer X

The commentator mentioned specific corners being policed only because you lose time in some so it doesn't matter if you go wide on some corners. They are only concerned with the corners where you gain an advantage.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

djos

Racer X wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 08:03
The commentator mentioned specific corners being policed only because you lose time in some so it doesn't matter if you go wide on some corners. They are only concerned with the corners where you gain an advantage.
Still, the track is the bit in between the lines. It’s not rocket science.

The bit that IMO is stupid is the you can use the curb in one place, but not the others.
"In downforce we trust"

search

sp8472 wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 04:53
It’s a beautiful track. It’s great seeing houses so close. Just like Bathurst here is Australia
yep (:

LM10
LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 01:43
I'm a huge Lewis fan and I'd love to see George in the other car. 2 Brits in a British based team. Perfect.

As for the whole Leclerc Seb debate, how about, 2019 Seb. gets all the Ferrari preferential treatment (righty so) and its a very close battle. 2020 Charles gets the Ferrari preferential treatment (deservedly so) and Charles blows him away.

This is the first year in Sebs F1 career where he isn't the chosen one of the 2 drivers and he's getting smashed. He needs all the perks.
The “perfect” thing about Russell in a Mercedes would be that Lewis would most probably have another title contender as a teammate - unlike his current one.

What’s more, for all who still have not understood: Seb’s performances in a car he doesn’t feel comfortable in are way worse than what the potential would be. A few days ago he told that he is dramatically slower once he feels uncomfortable. Last year he mostly didn’t like the car either because it was not to his likings with its loose rear. But he got preferential treatment which opened the gap between him and Leclerc a bit more.
This year besides not feeling good in the car he doesn’t get any preferential treatment and there just is no harmony or motivation anymore. There is no fire.

Leclerc is an exceptionally great driver who’s able to adapt to the car’s many weak points and drive around the issues. Seb is not.
In terms of raw speed (both drivers need to be happy with the car) I’m sure Leclerc is the clearly faster one of both as well. He undoubtedly is one of the fastest drivers on the grid and could beat anyone. But that’s not the situation we’re in now at Ferrari and no it’s not because it’s the first time Vettel does not get preferential treatment. The way you’re talking of him is just disrespectful - to claim be gets “smashed” only because him not being the chosen one anymore.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

search

is the pole position still on the left side (driving direction), as it used to be? If so, there probably can't be much grip at all, with everyone driving in the middle or right side of the road now.

bosyber
bosyber

search wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 11:12
is the pole position still on the left side (driving direction), as it used to be? If so, there probably can't be much grip at all, with everyone driving in the middle or right side of the road now.
Yep sure seems to be, pole not quite on the racing line, so a bit ahead but not really extra grip and a long straight to give the tow to those behind. Will be interesting to see how Bottas prepared for that.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

djos wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 04:35
I don’t know why just can’t just make it simple!

Eg you must have a minimum of 2 wheels inside the white line at all times. Simple!
Well the rule always was, at least part of 1 wheel on the white line at all times. But that isn't policing it.

ferkan
ferkan

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 00:05
Phil wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 23:14
Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 22:34
Put Russell in the RedBull and Max would be whining race after race. Russell is Max's level.
I find the Russel hype unfounded. So he has been great in F3 and F2. This ain’t F2 or F3. Plenty of young prospects come into F1 with an impressive resumé and then fail F1. Again i’m not suggesting Russel isnt good. He clearly is. But his hype is unfounded until he has real competition and gets to show his talent against someone who is a somewhat of a benchmark. Max has proven himself against Ricciardo who is somewhat of a known quantity because he raced against Vettel. Same applies to Leclerc, although i’d argue that this year to is clearly distorting the picture. Leclerc/Seb were evenly matched and the fight in qualifIng rather close last year - this year it aint.

Back to Russel; if you want to elevate him to Max’s or Hamilton’s level cause he has been consistently beating a nobody and a has been in a car that aint half bad (compared to the Alfa and Haas), well, i guess carry on... i’d rather wait for some more representative data.
I think by this logic you should really contemplate if the 2019 and 2020 are even worthy of being called a world championship because Hamilton has been going round in circles just beating Bottas.

Leclerc wasn't worth jack till he got in Ferrari and his record at Alfa isn't as impressive as Russell's.

It is pretty obvious that Mercedes are simply protecting their eggs with Hamilton going into 2021 and may be further just because they're the fastest car. They don't want to upset Lewis in anyway and I think that is correct.

And if you think that Ricciardo > Vettel and Leclerc > Vettel then you must surely regard Button as the GOAT because he beat Hamilton on points on their 3 years together?

If you find the Russell hype unfounded, the Hamilton hype is filled with more sh!t than anyone else could imagine!
Not sure I'd agree with that. Leclerc had as big of an advantage in his rookie year over Ericsson (average driver, but one who drove solid for 4 seasons up to that point) as Russell has against Latifi (rookie who I would say is well below average driver).

El Scorchio

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 00:05
If you find the Russell hype unfounded, the Hamilton hype is filled with more sh!t than anyone else could imagine!
By all means keep believing that, if it makes you feel any better.