[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Such a disappointing result after such early promise! I agree with Emag, Racing Point have a quicker car, no doubt about it. Need our own slice of luck in the final race now to have a shot at 3rd.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I am more disappointed that there was an outside chance of a win today than I am of losing 3rd place in constructors. 10M or so won't matter in the long run, but to celebrate a win would be quite something, even though it would have been through luck.

It might be even better to finish 4th in constructors as you get more development and testing time, if I am not misremembering.

JRindt

Ahh. If only Carlos hadn’t pitted under VSC... And what an idiot Bottas is. If not for him, Carlos would’ve at least gotten ahead of stroll (podium, or not)

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 20:53
Emag wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 20:52
Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 20:49
I hope next week events will make me eat my words but 3rd place is over. I disagree Emag. We had the speed with Sainz today.
Perez came from fkin 18th mate ... and yet he was still the fastest car bar the Mercs in the end. And you are telling me they dont have the faster car? I would say they have had the fastest car in the midfield by some margin actually. If drivers like Lewis and Max were behind the wheel of that car, they could have even fought RedBull this year.
And yet we were faster in many races. We managed to beat them in many races. Bravo to Mercedes for that great gift.
I disagree. There has barely been any race apart from Monza and Spa this year where McLaren has been visibly quicker than RacingPoint. It has mostly been about strategy. Just try to remember how often this year Perez has been forced to fight from the back of the field and yet has still managed great results. Then when you count in the hit they got from corona plus the handful of horrible performances from Stroll. Add to that 15 point reduction and the unlucky retirements they have had, and you already get a team that would probably be way out of reach on the last race. Now imagine what RacingPoint could have achieved this year with two top-tier drivers in their lineup ...

diffuser

SilviuAgo wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 20:49
What a fuc*ing bullsh*t race........
We are paying Lando's yesterday "diva" qualifing...and also Carlos fear to go full attack. He did today same error as in Italy with Gasly...he run out of laps i order to give a decisive attack.
He tried but he just couldn't get close enough fast enough. The RP hards were holding on, not enough wear. Too many laps under the safety car.

Fantastic move to get past Bottas though, I noticed he change his deployment strategy to get more deployment in Sector 2.
Last edited by diffuser on 06 Dec 2020, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 18:19
Aside from all the strategy, one of the biggest threats to Mclaren's 3rd place spot is Stroll ending his poor form and placing the car where it deserves to be come the end of the race, in all my thoughts about Mclaren v RP, I feel like I've assumed that his form will continue. Because they can easily get 22+ points in a race if they both finish where they should do.
Well he did, and without two Mercedes in front as well to soften points blow of them finishing ahead.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Kind of worrying that Lando had no pace today to be honest. Very poor performance considering that he actually had a fresh engine in the back. He was consistently slower than Carlos despite, like him, being in fresh air for most of the time.

proteus

Emag wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:01
Kind of worrying that Lando had no pace today to be honest. Very poor performance considering that he actually had a fresh engine in the back. He was consistently slower than Carlos despite, like him, being in fresh air for most of the time.
There must have been a wrong setup...they gambled and they lost...
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Darth-Piekus

Let't not give up yet despite what I said before. Their engines are old, ours should be new. Still though my opinion on RP won't change. They have gotten that 3rd place with someone else's car.

chrisgr
chrisgr

We had a bad race and RP had almost the perfect race. We have never seen Mercedes make such an awful mistake. And then again both cars had problems! Add Verstappen 's DNF. Of course RPs were very fast and took the most out of the situation. But if this year we had a race of luck, RP would take the first place after today :p

genarro
genarro

What fu*cking bulls*hit of a race today.. RP didnt deserve a win this season. At least not with a car they diidnt produce themselfs..

Lets fight for 3rd till the end.

If anyone can than McLaren as one of the greatest teams off all time can

diffuser

proteus wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:02
Emag wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:01
There must have been a wrong setup...they gambled and they lost...
Norris has struggled all weekend. He struggles with high speed circuits. I think it's got to do with him always running more downforce than Sainz. On a circuit like this you pay a big price.
Last edited by diffuser on 06 Dec 2020, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

JRindt

Yep. Lando has been very disappointing. He neither had the pace not tire management. I figured him out as a future world champion. Guess, he’s just another F1 driver 🤷‍♂️

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:03
Still though my opinion on RP won't change.
We've noticed! :lol:

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:03
Let't not give up yet despite what I said before. Their engines are old, ours should be new. Still though my opinion on RP won't change. They have gotten that 3rd place with someone else's car.
I mean, I got a hate boner for them too. It's just frustrating and I would say embarrassing for the sport as well that a copy of last year's champions was good enough to be better than every other team but two (and you could argue, if you switch the drivers around, Max might have achieved more with RP this year than he did with RedBull).

Still, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how they got here. It just matters that they did. We can all sit here and talk about how much they deserver it or not, but that doesn't change the fact that they will (most probably) finish 3rd and take all the benefits that come with it.
Last edited by Emag on 06 Dec 2020, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.