[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McL-H
McL-H

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

JRindt wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:07
Yep. Lando has been very disappointing. He neither had the pace not tire management. I figured him out as a future world champion. Guess, he’s just another F1 driver 🤷‍♂️
It has been like that all season, though? And last season Sainz was clwarly the better driver too. Norris is nothing more than a sidekick, our number 2 driver. Which we’ll need when we’ll be fighting for those championships with Danny the upcoming years! :D

Jackles-UK

This result is obviously disappointing but only reverses where we would have been without the failure from Perez last week. If you’d offered the team a 4th & 10th this morning they’d have grabbed it with both hands, just a shame that it’s two RP’s and a Renault in front!

The safety car pitstop thing is a bit of a falsehood, Carlos would’ve needed another stop regardless so it didn’t completely ruin his race - just so unlucky with the timing to allow what eventually became the three podium places past him (Ricciardo & Kvyat also lost out who were running together at the time). In reality, I think having Bottas dragging a limping car around 1.5s slower than Perez was in front of him on the restart was maybe the thing that cost him a huge result today, it was clear that both Stroll & Ocon were nowhere near on his level today but by the time he was on their tails he had burned through the best of his tyres.

diffuser

McL-H wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:11
JRindt wrote:
Yep. Lando has been very disappointing. He neither had the pace not tire management. I figured him out as a future world champion. Guess, he’s just another F1 driver 🤷‍♂️
It has been like that all season, though? And last season Sainz was clwarly the better driver too. Norris is nothing more than a sidekick, our number 2 driver. Which we’ll need when we’ll be fighting for those championships with Danny the upcoming years! :D
I agree, he looks like that now. I don't agree that it's a black and white thing. He will improve. How much? We don't know.

blastdoman
blastdoman

10 points to recover in the last race. Except for a miracle, third place has flown. Also look back at Renault that we have them at 12 points.

Regarding today, good race for Carlos. He's always doing his best, whether or not he has a good car. Lando, awfull. Yesterday bad and today almost worse, without pace in all the race. I am very disappointed with the English driver.
Last edited by blastdoman on 06 Dec 2020, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

Jackles-UK wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:16
This result is obviously disappointing but only reverses where we would have been without the failure from Perez last week. If you’d offered the team a 4th & 10th this morning they’d have grabbed it with both hands, just a shame that it’s two RP’s and a Renault in front!

The safety car pitstop thing is a bit of a falsehood, Carlos would’ve needed another stop regardless so it didn’t completely ruin his race - just so unlucky with the timing to allow what eventually became the three podium places past him (Ricciardo & Kvyat also lost out who were running together at the time). In reality, I think having Bottas dragging a limping car around 1.5s slower than Perez was in front of him on the restart was maybe the thing that cost him a huge result today, it was clear that both Stroll & Ocon were nowhere near on his level today but by the time he was on their tails he had burned through the best of his tyres.
Yeah I got to agree with you. I have a feeling Sainz wouldn't have ended up on the podium even with a normal race. The strategy was wrong today. soft -> hard 1 stop was the way to go. But can't be too mad about that though. They have nailed the strategy so many other times over the course of this year.

Emag
Emag

blastdoman wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:18
10 points to recover in the last race. Except for a miracle, third place has flown. Also look back at Renault that we have them at 12 points.

Regarding today, good race for Carlos. He's always doing his best, whether or not he has a good car. Lando, awfull. Yesterday bad and today almost worse, without pace in all the race. I am very disappointed in the English driver.
I mean, if we assume a best case scenario (with Albon performing how he should on the RedBull), then you have the first 4 position locked out. If McLaren somehow end up faster in Abu Dhabi and finish 5th and 6th, then RP need to finish 7th and 8th to win (or 7th-9th + fastest lap).

The more realistic scenario is Perez being out in front in 5th. On this scenario it is impossible to get 3rd. Still, to early to tell what might go down on the last race, but it is going to be extremely difficult to get 3rd now. Gotta look after Renault behind too.

diffuser

BTW, you guys better be carefull what you say to me. I asked the gods to get rid of the Mercs and Max in the remaining races to make F1 more exciting. They heard me!!!!

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xero

Emag wrote:
I have a feeling Sainz wouldn't have ended up on the podium even with a normal race. The strategy was wrong today. soft -> hard 1 stop was the way to go. But can't be too mad about that though. They have nailed the strategy so many other times over the course of this year.
Absolutely. The team have been very good on the race operation front all season, so perhaps it's a bit harsh to criticise them too much this weekend. Anything can happen next week, as the last 3 races have shown.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Emag wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:23
blastdoman wrote:

Regarding today, good race for Carlos. He's always doing his best, whether or not he has a good car. Lando, awfull. Yesterday bad and today almost worse, without pace in all the race. I am very disappointed in the English driver.
I mean, if we assume a best case scenario (with Albon performing how he should on the RedBull), then you have the first 4 position locked out. If McLaren somehow end up faster in Abu Dhabi and finish 5th and 6th, then RP need to finish 7th and 8th to win (or 7th-9th + fastest lap).

The more realistic scenario is Perez being out in front in 5th. On this scenario it is impossible to get 3rd. Still, to early to tell what might go down on the last race, but it is going to be extremely difficult to get 3rd now. Gotta look after Renault behind too.
The key to finishing third was managing the 17-point lead, because clearly RP has a better car than us. This has already been blown up.

billamend
billamend

Russel will _probably_ be disqualified, so McLaren will have 8 points to get back.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

I still can't get why they pitted Sainz just right on the VSC ending.

Emag
Emag

ALO_Power wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:38
They don't know when the VSC ends mate. They decided to pit while it was going on, they just got unlucky that it ended right as he went in the pits and not after he got out.

mwillems

Xero wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:03
Still though my opinion on RP won't change.
We've noticed! :lol:

hahahaha

I'm pleased for Checo to be honest, it's points for RP but it's also a big middle finger to them too.
What a racer, I hope to god he goes to Red Bull.

Good race from Carlos, dissapointing from Lando, I stand entirely behind my opinions of him.
I think he does have a lot of talent personally, but I think there is something holding him back.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

That was fine. The pitstop, no regrets. How they can have the SC out so long is beyond me. That’s what helped the 1 stoppers massively. lots of if what maybes, the end result after quali as it was surely isn’t bad. Just worse that RP got an amazing result today, but they have by some way the better car

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:39
ALO_Power wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 21:38
They don't know when the VSC ends mate. They decided to pit while it was going on, they just got unlucky that it ended right as he went in the pits and not after he got out.
It’ll need to be analysed by one of us but surely they should have gambled to pit him just before the VSC came into operation.
Every time you see a car on the side of the road out of the race it’s going to be a VSC or full safety car 99% of the time.
Again this needs looking at but from my quick observations during the race, on the driver tracker it looked like Sainz was half way down the pit straight then the VSC was deployed
Just a fan's point of view