[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

In my opinion, Lando is too passionate about his own promotion besides racing. Cyberteam, clothes, various PR on the Internet, it's all good when you have a couple of titles behind you. But, now he must concentrate as much as possible on the races.

Emag
Emag

What is the general expectation over Abu Dhabi? It's a lot of medium speed corners. Kind of like Spa in a sense? If it is anything like Spa we should expect Renault to be very strong, and RP weaker, but Spa was a while ago now. Things might have changed.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 14:44
What is the general expectation over Abu Dhabi? It's a lot of medium speed corners. Kind of like Spa in a sense? If it is anything like Spa we should expect Renault to be very strong, and RP weaker, but Spa was a while ago now. Things might have changed.
Not sure performance wise but emotionally will be hanging on by our fingers nails to 4th place in the constructors :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

_cerber1

There are a lot of slow turns here that can be a problem for us. Renault I think is going to be strong here.

_cerber1

I wonder what specific problems Lando is talking about? Seidl also spoke evasively about technical problems with the car.

mwillems

billamend wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:11
Emag wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 23:59
Dipesh1995 wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 23:55
Lando had an issue with car according to Seidl.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2020/sak ... rand-prix/
Yeah was just about to comment that. Apparently the bad luck stretches beyond our initial assumption :lol:
Hope some Norris haters read that.

Incredible how unlucky McLaren has been this season.
Having an opinion of Lando that isn't universal praise or just keeping quite, doesn't mean you hate him.

This needlessly polarised internet twoddle really winds me up.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

f1rules wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 06:45
Well “we couldnt extract...” could be the same as “he couldnt...” maybe just seidl protecting his young driver that was nowhere this week
Yeah, that is a sensible way to read it too.

diffuser wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 06:58
You know., That kind of reads like "Norris's pace was so much worse that Sainz's, there must have been something wrong with the car. We have to investigate." They don't really know there was something wrong.

To me his pace was consistent with the rest of the weekend.

When I was watching Norris's onboard, I saw him hit a steering wheel button and big red A14 or A04 come up.
From the radio overview I listened, he was really struggling with balance. Wether that is because he didn't have time to setup his car or because there was a bigger issue, I don't know.

CjC wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 12:08
He’s highly paid and I feel he isn’t deserving of it (I think the same for 99.9% of footballers but that’s not for here).
He is one of the cheapest drivers on the grid. He has the 2nd best ratio of points per dollar of the grid (only behind Gasly). Given how little (almost never) he crashes I would say he is cheap - comparing to the rest of the grid.

1. the salary information is speculation and doesn't take into account sponsorships;
  2. the "destructors" championship spreadsheet is debatable because it doesn't account for certain things - like PUs.
CjC wrote:
Lando is quick as his quali record shows but for me Sainz shows him how to race come race day, as another member pointed out Lando can be quite inconsistent during the races and that can be said for the season as a whole
Agreed.

_cerber1 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 13:03
In my opinion, Lando is too passionate about his own promotion besides racing. Cyberteam, clothes, various PR on the Internet, it's all good when you have a couple of titles behind you. But, now he must concentrate as much as possible on the races.
100% agreed.

mwillems wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 15:47
Having an opinion of Lando that isn't universal praise or just keeping quite, doesn't mean you hate him.

You are right and I shouldn't have used that term. It was "cheap" and it dragged the "debate" longer than I wanted and it needed.
Last edited by billamend on 07 Dec 2020, 18:00, edited 2 times in total.

proteus

_cerber1 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 15:30
I wonder what specific problems Lando is talking about? Seidl also spoke evasively about technical problems with the car.
https://twitter.com/LandoNorris/status/ ... 9038752769
Sainz had problems with deployment - he stated that deployment is all wrong during the race...might have been the same issue with Norris, but a bit more influental perhaps?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

adrianjordan

_cerber1 wrote:
Imagine if he had a PR team helping to run all of that.

I very much doubt a little bit of social media promotion is hurting his race pace.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

proteus wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 17:42
_cerber1 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 15:30
https://twitter.com/LandoNorris/status/ ... 9038752769
Sainz had problems with deployment - he stated that deployment is all wrong during the race...might have been the same issue with Norris, but a bit more influental perhaps?
There was an onboard showing one of the Mclarens starting clipping well before the end of the main straight.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I’ve got low expectations of the weekend coming up. I can see this track being right up Renault/RP and TR alley. The front end weakness is definitely the MCL35 Achilles heel. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised but it’s been pretty predictable for the last few months where our strengths are.
Look forward to it though. Should be a good end to a manic season and am already looking forward to next year.

CjC
CjC

billamend wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 17:16

CjC wrote:
He’s highly paid and I feel he isn’t deserving of it (I think the same for 99.9% of footballers but that’s not for here).
He is one of the cheapest drivers on the grid. He has the 2nd best ratio of points per dollar of the grid (only behind Gasly). Given how little (almost never) he crashes I would say he is cheap - comparing to the rest of the grid.

https://i.imgur.com/UQjdGhW.jpeg
https://i.redd.it/isv15xcstd261.png
  1. the salary information is speculation and doesn't take into account sponsorships;
  2. the "destructors" championship spreadsheet is debatable because it doesn't account for certain things - like PUs.
Yea you are spot on when comparing him to the F1 grid he’s a steal.
I meant he is highly paid compared to us peasants- lowest paid on the grid or not I feel he should be delivering every race weekend for that amount of money
Just a fan's point of view

JRindt

I know it’s OT, but stroll actually gets paid? :lol:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Last weekend was a hard one for the team and it seems that even more for a lot of fans.

The fact that the team is still fighting for P3 with one race to go is a success in my opinion, if at the beginning of the year before the first race of the season started anyone would have said that we would have been at this stage in that fight I wouldn’t have agreed with them.

The team has punched above it’s weight in more than one race and probably that has created very high expectations that team was not going to be able to meet... There is still one race to go before the end of the season, but a quick analysis and review of 2020 will show that Mclaren never had the 3rd fastest car, this was said by the team from day 1 and not because they wanted to downplay expectations... Better on track operations and at least in my opinion, a better driver pairing is what allowed the team to keep themselves on the hunt for 3rd this season.

Racing Point was expected to finish 3rd from the start, in reality they were even expected to be fighting RBR for second and with a little better luck they may have very well been in that fight, they had the better car, regardless if it was a copy or not, the pink car is superior to the papaya one.

Mclaren has 184 points in the WCC, compared to the 145 points they had in 2019... With 4 less races at this point (and potentially gaining a few more points next weekend), this in a season where their development program has been hampered by the need to work on 2 cars simultaneously and bring parts not intended for the MCL35 in order to ensure their availability in 2021... This in itself shows how strong the team has been all year long... In order to achieve this, we needed to have a strong pair of drivers, since ultimately they are the ones that deliver the results.

Which brings me to the all the criticism of Norris in this race... Last season Norris finished with 49 points, 47 points behind Sainz (who scored 96 points)... in 2020 Norris has managed to get 87 points compared to the 97 points that Sainz has achieved, this shows how much he has progressed season on season in regards to his race craft.

Last weekend wasn’t the best for Lando, he struggled with the car since the first practice session and had a very scrappy qualifying where the team sent him a little too early into the track for Q2 (the decision on when to go belong to the team not the driver), which made him abort his flying lap and compromised the second one... It is true that during the race he struggled for pace versus Sainz, both him and the team has made reference to a technical problem that affected his pace which the team is still to be seeing if the team will disclose.

But, Lando is still in the top 10 of drivers on the grid, which speaks very highly for a driver that is only on his second season in Formula 1 and not too far in regards to points and qualifying results to Carlos, who may arguably be the breakout start of the season (Sainz performances are showing why Ferrari decided to hire him)... To be that close to Carlos, who is having the best season of his career isn’t a dull feat and is pretty encouraging for a driver that is still evolving a maturing.

One more race to go in this rollercoaster of a season where anything could happen... But the expectations should be low since it is still to be expected to have RP’s ahead in terms of performance... But, just as Baharain and Sakir showed, one good race or one bad race can change the outcome dramatically, 10 points will be a difficult gap to cover if Racing Point has an uneventful weekend, but it isn’t impossible to overcome.

Myself, as a “Honda Survivor” will enjoy the last race and continue to applaud the progress the team has showed for the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

billamend wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 17:16
f1rules wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 06:45
Well “we couldnt extract...” could be the same as “he couldnt...” maybe just seidl protecting his young driver that was nowhere this week
Yeah, that is a sensible way to read it too.

diffuser wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 06:58
You know., That kind of reads like "Norris's pace was so much worse that Sainz's, there must have been something wrong with the car. We have to investigate." They don't really know there was something wrong.

To me his pace was consistent with the rest of the weekend.

When I was watching Norris's onboard, I saw him hit a steering wheel button and big red A14 or A04 come up.
From the radio overview I listened, he was really struggling with balance. Wether that is because he didn't have time to setup his car or because there was a bigger issue, I don't know.

CjC wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/UQjdGhW.jpeg
https://i.redd.it/isv15xcstd261.png
CjC wrote:
Lando is quick as his quali record shows but for me Sainz shows him how to race come race day, as another member pointed out Lando can be quite inconsistent during the races and that can be said for the season as a whole
Agreed.

_cerber1 wrote:
100% agreed.

mwillems wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 15:47

You are right and I shouldn't have used that term. It was "cheap" and it dragged the "debate" longer than I wanted and it needed.
Fair play, a good post, a lot of folks wouldn't turn back and recognise they were a bit over the top, then go away and find some information to support their feelings, so for that you shall get an upvote sir.

However, I agree he is decent for what he is paid. Ultimately they would rather the points though, than a cheaper driver. Not saying they will replace Lando, they won't anytime soon, he is a good enough second driver. I just so desperately want him to be good enough for the number 1 spot at Mclaren, but I'm starting to wonder if that will ever be the case.

He is better than several drivers on the grid though, including Stroll, happily.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit