[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I was curious about Lando’s second attempt in Q2... About a third of the distance into his warm up lap, he is told that the rest of the cars were exiting the pitlane and he states that he will catch them and if he should do another warm up lap... His engineer doesn’t tell him not to and he goes and performs another warm up lap.

In his flying lap (the one he aborted), he went beyond track limits at turn 8 (therefore his lap time would have invalidated) and that’s why he aborts the lap... Below and screen shot of that flying lap and car position at turn 8:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

search

thanks, but this is not a track limit violation (at least as long as he didn't end up behind the kerb with the full car before/after the screenshot was taken)

mwillems

search wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 00:28
thanks, but this is not a track limit violation (at least as long as he didn't end up behind the kerb with the full car before/after the screenshot was taken)
“A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track and cutting behind the red and white kerb on the exit of Turn 8, will result in that lap time being invalidated by the stewards,” confirmed Masi.

It's open to some interpretation I guess but you appear to be quite correct, although he erroneously seems to forget to mention qualifying, not that it isn't clear it also applies there too.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

search wrote:thanks, but this is not a track limit violation (at least as long as he didn't end up behind the kerb with the full car before/after the screenshot was taken)
I thought it was the white line, but I honestly don’t know... I was just wondering and saw that in the replay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser

proteus wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 17:42
_cerber1 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 15:30
I wonder what specific problems Lando is talking about? Seidl also spoke evasively about technical problems with the car.
https://twitter.com/LandoNorris/status/ ... 9038752769
Sainz had problems with deployment - he stated that deployment is all wrong during the race...might have been the same issue with Norris, but a bit more influental perhaps?
They can change deployment during the race depending on what they want to do. So he was just asking to change it. Pretty sure he changed it again to pass Bottas. He couldn't pass him down the start finish straight. He took deployment off there, so he was slower down the straight, then came on like gang busters.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 00:05
I was curious about Lando’s second attempt in Q2... About a third of the distance into his warm up lap, he is told that the rest of the cars were exiting the pitlane and he states that he will catch them and if he should do another warm up lap... His engineer doesn’t tell him not to and he goes and performs another warm up lap.

In his flying lap (the one he aborted), he went beyond track limits at turn 8 (therefore his lap time would have invalidated) and that’s why he aborts the lap... Below and screen shot of that flying lap and car position at turn 8:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202012 ... a7c243.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15399 ... ng-of-2020

So it seems he just couldn't hook it up and made the choice to abort.
He's suggesting it was a mix of leaving the pits too early and slowing to avoid traffic, therefore leaving him with cold tyres for turn 1, and his own poor performance in those laps.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Chicane
Chicane

A George Russel could have a million excuses in a Williams which handles like a shopping trolley but he gets that thing in to Q1 ever so often. His performance in the Merc has made everyone sit up and take notice. So if Lando wants to win races in future he needs to start building his stock.

Lando struggles to drive around handling deficiencies which is a trait teams look in to. Carlos can to some extent but the real top drivers like Ricciardo, Leclerc, Hamilton, Verstappen can do it much more consistently. Abiteboul mentioned how Ricciardo's ability to cope with lower downforce gives him the edge.

F1 cars are not perfect,not even the Merc. Lando as things stand is a decent midfield pilot but if he wants to drive at the sharp end of the grid he has to start adding more strings to his bow. Would be nice if he can push Ricciardo on a consistent basis.

Ricciardo is one wily customer who suddenly pulls out a lap out of nowhere in Q3. He turns in to a bloodhound when he sniffs a top result. Lando has to start getting stuck a bit more into his races consistently instead of waking up when a third of the race is left. He has the ability but he needs to harness it. 2021 will be a make or break season for him as far as becoming a top driver is concerned.
Quickshifter

Chicane
Chicane

"On Lando's we still need to analyse why where I think after a good first lap, when he was in P10, he simply couldn't go the same pace as Carlos did," said Seidl. "So we're still investigating what the reason for that was.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... =widget-22
Quickshifter

Chicane
Chicane

So i don't understand what the technical issue Lando was talking about when Seidl says they are still investigating
Quickshifter

CjC
CjC

Chicane wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 14:03
So i don't understand what the technical issue Lando was talking about when Seidl says they are still investigating
He probably busted his floor just like he did in practice
Just a fan's point of view

_cerber1

I don't think a broken floor needs to be dealt with. Most likely it's a matter of technique or tuning. I remember how Ocon drove out of the boxes right in front of Lando and immediately left him, without a fight. For some reason, Norris had no speed on the straight lines.

CjC
CjC

Was that not just fresh tyres?
Lando boxed quite early to end his first stint
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 14:42
Was that not just fresh tyres?
Lando boxed quite early to end his first stint
They probably brought him in because they thought it might have been the tires. He pit really really early compared to the other soft runners.

Just a poor race from him to be honest, be it by his fault or not.

billamend
billamend

JRindt

Lol :lol: