[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

_cerber1 wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 21:00
Actually, it's a little sad :cry: .
That was Brilliant! I loved the Honey Badger at the end too! :mrgreen:
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

Emag wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 19:22
diffuser wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 18:01
M840TR wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 00:36

This is where the need for a Merc engine and a top driver like Ricciardo was felt hard. Less reliability issues would've given them more Friday running and a better understanding of the car. Ricciardo would've brought more speed and experience in, like helping realise the importance of always putting a lap in quali no matter what.

Norris needs to pick his game up though. If he's getting so thoroughly beaten by Sainz, imagine Ricciardo in the other seat. I think even Sainz could've given Albon a run for his money for P3 in Bahrain 1.

Anyways, Perez is still at risk with his high mileage engine and you never know what could happen in a race so the team's still in with a shot.
Kind of funny how you on the one side say, refering to the Renault PU, "Less reliability issues would've given them more Friday running ". Then in refering to the Merc "Anyways, Perez is still at risk with his high mileage engine".

So is McLaren gonna have more a less reliability issues with Merc in 2021 if McLaren Renault have the upper hand going into the last race?

Someone's trying to have thier cake and eat it too.
That's not really fair to say though. Perez was forced to take an old power unit to avoid penalties. He took power unit components that already had completed their expected mileage. If that engine does fail, I wouldn't necessarily count it as a failure of the Mercedes engine because it had already done its job.

Objectively speaking, Mercedes engines have been more reliable this year, and arguably the most powerful ones too.
LOL, forced cause he had reliability issues. You've just put on display you're lack of objectivity.
Their reliability has not been as good as you think, "outside" of the Merc chassis.
Last edited by diffuser on 10 Dec 2020, 06:15, edited 2 times in total.

Balalu
Balalu

I am somewhat in a funny corner... Two years ago I was gutted Ricciardo was going to Renault, and that we were getting Sainz. I thought Sainz was solid, but just did not see him as a lead/top driver. He has exceeded every expectation, and is now a highly rated driver.

Now Ricciardo is coming, and I'm kind of sad Sainz is leaving, and we're getting Ricciardo.

Boy, I hope my feelings are wrong again!
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

JRindt

I’m actually pretty bummed Sainz is leaving. Will be rooting for him though, wherever he goes.

Can’t believe people actually called him “Dull as Dishwasher” at the start of 2019. He has been anything but that.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

djos wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 00:07
_cerber1 wrote:
Remebering the days of McLaren Tooned! They need to bring that back ASAP! :D

bauc

NiyolHuayra wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 10:49
djos wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 00:07
_cerber1 wrote:
Remebering the days of McLaren Tooned! They need to bring that back ASAP! :D
Tooned was great, and this one was epic as well.... I will miss Carlos next year
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 00:14
Emag wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 19:22
diffuser wrote:

Kind of funny how you on the one side say, refering to the Renault PU, "Less reliability issues would've given them more Friday running ". Then in refering to the Merc "Anyways, Perez is still at risk with his high mileage engine".

So is McLaren gonna have more a less reliability issues with Merc in 2021 if McLaren Renault have the upper hand going into the last race?

That's not really fair to say though. Perez was forced to take an old power unit to avoid penalties. He took power unit components that already had completed their expected mileage. If that engine does fail, I wouldn't necessarily count it as a failure of the Mercedes engine because it had already done its job.

Objectively speaking, Mercedes engines have been more reliable this year, and arguably the most powerful ones too.

LOL, forced cause he had reliability issues. You've just put on display you're lack of objectivity.
Their reliability has not been as good as you think, "outside" of the Merc chassis.

I think Bottas had an engine failure inside the Merc team. I can't see the numbers but I don't think there is much between the teams. The Merc engine may be more "resilient" however, and be able to do more miles due a lower wear rate, or lose speed less quickly due to a lower wear rate.

Obviously I do not know, just introducing the notion that it's not just about can you do x GPs now, as most have no problem doing that, the benefits are likely to be far less obvious, and probably with less impact.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

_cerber1

adrianjordan

How did I miss that the Latifi family had bought into McLaren??!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

_cerber1

adrianjordan wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 14:35
Latifi bought 20% of the shares in 2018.

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 14:36
adrianjordan wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 14:35
Latifi bought 20% of the shares in 2018.
Yea I panicked back then thinking we’d end up with a pay driver :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 23:11
M840TR wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 18:58
diffuser wrote:

Well you have to look at the whole season. Merc has been the most reliable engine on average. Whereas Honda and Renault always seem to have some sort of issues holding them down.
Pretty certain that Renault has been as solid THIS year as Merc. Think about RP. Atleast 2 DNFS (1 each for Perez and stroll, and 1 DNS Hulk). There may be others. Williams has had a few issues too (Latifi 2 PU DNFs and 1 Russell). Bottas had 1 too.

Can't any actual accurate data.
There certainly have been comparable terminal issues but other ones like Sainz's Spa misfire that led to the DNS and Renault's own intercooler problems in the first few races were problematic. In contrast Mercedes itself has had only 1 dnf.

billamend
billamend

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 16:38
diffuser wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 23:11
M840TR wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 18:58

Well you have to look at the whole season. Merc has been the most reliable engine on average. Whereas Honda and Renault always seem to have some sort of issues holding them down.
Pretty certain that Renault has been as solid THIS year as Merc. Think about RP. Atleast 2 DNFS (1 each for Perez and stroll, and 1 DNS Hulk). There may be others. Williams has had a few issues too (Latifi 2 PU DNFs and 1 Russell). Bottas had 1 too.

Can't any actual accurate data.
There certainly have been comparable terminal issues but other ones like Sainz's Spa misfire that led to the DNS and Renault's own intercooler problems in the first few races were problematic. In contrast Mercedes itself has had only 1 dnf.
The engine itself had some issues at the start of the year and it was generally known in testing that they had some gremlins to work through. Largely as a result of pushing themselves because of Ferrari's
miraculous / highly illegal / brushed under the carpet (Choose as appropriate or mix and match)
gains.

Mercedes themselves seem to have got away with it a little bit, but then I imagine that with their chassis they can coast a bit more and control their pace. Or at least Hamilton can.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

cooken
cooken

billamend wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 20:47
Oh my lord the puppets at the end :lol: