[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

The aero on the McLaren is simply underdeveloped because of the all the engine changes slowing them down. To maintain the confidence in the car, they make it well balanced and easy to drive, it works on certain tracks at higher speed corners that require mid speed traction, but the understeer hurts them in slower corners. They could put more downforce on the front of the car, but then the car becomes more difficult to drive, so they opt to increase downforce globally to maintain the balance of the car. The former is easier for the team, harder for the driver, the latter is easier for the driver, harder for the team, perhaps there needs to be a compromise.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:It's a shame McLaren has no young drivers to run on this test. I doubt they could gather too much data from it anyway, but testing is testing I guess. Wouldn't hurt to have it.
I’m sure they could have run if they wanted to... There was no benefit on doing so from a cost perspective most probably and that’s why they decided (fairly early) that they wouldn’t be running on the final test of the season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 23:24
ALO_Power wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 22:41
diffuser wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 20:31
Something very "off" about Merc's Quali pace in Abu-dhabi

Dream Lap by Norris ?
Was Merc hiding a problem?
Did Merc MGU-K issue hamper them more than they were letting on ?
Tires a softer compound than 2019?
Last 5 GP Quali results in the dry.
eifel-grand-prix
Valtteri Bottas 1:25.269
Max Verstappen  1:25.562	
Lando Norris    1:26.458	
Ye I think they told that all Mercedes powered cars were running bit detuned for reliability.
Yes, due to a "Gremlin"
AMC ?

godlameroso

Even though Norris finished behind Sainz I think he's shown his worth, and likely grown as a driver. In their head to head Lando pipped Sainz 20 laps to 19, and had slightly better race pace. Norris was stuck behind Riccardo and Sainz behind Norris for those laps. Once in clear air Sainz couldn't get closer than 5 seconds. I think they're so evenly matched that it's the same as we saw with Verstappen out in front here, or him chasing Hamilton in Bahrain. Just couldn't get closer than 4.5 seconds too close between the two drivers.

I've said Norris is a very fast driver, and with more experience he'll be up there, I think he fully deserves to be in F1 and certainly McLaren. He'll give Riccardo a good challenge.
Saishū kōnā

adrianjordan

godlameroso wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 23:29
The aero on the McLaren is simply underdeveloped because of the all the engine changes slowing them down. To maintain the confidence in the car, they make it well balanced and easy to drive, it works on certain tracks at higher speed corners that require mid speed traction, but the understeer hurts them in slower corners. They could put more downforce on the front of the car, but then the car becomes more difficult to drive, so they opt to increase downforce globally to maintain the balance of the car. The former is easier for the team, harder for the driver, the latter is easier for the driver, harder for the team, perhaps there needs to be a compromise.
I'm pretty certain that they do run a compromise. Everything about setting up an F1 car is compromise.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 00:52
Emag wrote:It's a shame McLaren has no young drivers to run on this test. I doubt they could gather too much data from it anyway, but testing is testing I guess. Wouldn't hurt to have it.
I’m sure they could have run if they wanted to... There was no benefit on doing so from a cost perspective most probably and that’s why they decided (fairly early) that they wouldn’t be running on the final test of the season

I believe the reason given was that they wanted the team home as soon as possible for Xmas, given that there was a 14 day quarantine period (now 10) from when the team got home yesterday which already took them past Xmas day.

They saw no benefit of running this years car with this years tyres with no possible learning for next year

To be honest, I’m surprised any team stayed on

michl420
michl420

I don`t think the gap came from dirty downforce, because in sectors with fast corners the gap is the smallest and top speed was always there. Mid and slow speed corners make the difference. Normally S3 in Abu Dhabi Mercedes has the biggest advantage over the field. I would say tire window and suspension characteristics.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Nice to see this two driver in the same team! Image

bauc

NiyolHuayra wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 14:42
Nice to see this two driver in the same team! https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img ... 258322.jpg
Numbers 3 & 4, I will pretend this is some season in the 2000's and we finished P2 in the constructors the previous year :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 04:22
mwillems wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 22:41

Ye I think they told that all Mercedes powered cars were running bit detuned for reliability.
Yes, due to a "Gremlin"
AMC ?
Gizmo.

Article 14.2.5 of the sporting regulation:

14.2.5 You must not apply food, or food based product, after midnight.
Last edited by mwillems on 15 Dec 2020, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

bauc wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 15:14
NiyolHuayra wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 14:42
Nice to see this two driver in the same team! https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img ... 258322.jpg
Numbers 3 & 4, I will pretend this is some season in the 2000's and we finished P2 in the constructors the previous year :mrgreen:
=D>
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 15:44
diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 04:22
mwillems wrote:

Yes, due to a "Gremlin"
AMC ?
Gizmo.

Article 14.2.5 of the sporting regulation:

14.2.5 You must not apply food, or food based product, after midnight.
Aaah. LOL

Emag
Emag

Apparently Fernando has gone faster in today's test than both Ocon and Ric did in qualifying. Track conditions are different, but that's impressive nonetheless. I thought he would struggle for a while since he has been out of F1 for quite a bit now, but apparently we should expect him to be very fast when the season starts next year.

bauc

Emag wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:02
Apparently Fernando has gone faster in today's test than both Ocon and Ric did in qualifying. Track conditions are different, but that's impressive nonetheless. I thought he would struggle for a while since he has been out of F1 for quite a bit now, but apparently we should expect him to be very fast when the season starts next year.
Track conditions, PU settings ect... this was done for Alonso do get a grip of the current car and Renault to catch headlines for sponsors ... aka Alonso is back 1 day and already faster than RIC & OCN

If Mclaren do their homework properly, we can fight for P3 next year again, maybe a win or two
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 00:52

I believe the reason given was that they wanted the team home as soon as possible for Xmas, given that there was a 14 day quarantine period (now 10) from when the team got home yesterday which already took them past Xmas day.

They saw no benefit of running this years car with this years tyres with no possible learning for next year

To be honest, I’m surprised any team stayed on
I guess there is a little value if some teams are trying potential drivers (or have contractual commitments to give seat time to a driver, like Kubica)... For others, like Haas, having their rookies in the car for a day at least, could be a better way to bed them into the team.

But I agree, there wasn’t a lot of value on running today if you couldn’t test a lot of new parts for next year... Glad they decided to go home early, this season has been brutal for the team and their families.