[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Emag wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:02
Apparently Fernando has gone faster in today's test than both Ocon and Ric did in qualifying. Track conditions are different, but that's impressive nonetheless. I thought he would struggle for a while since he has been out of F1 for quite a bit now, but apparently we should expect him to be very fast when the season starts next year.
Well we know Fernando’s quick but this doesn’t really mean anything

For a start we don’t know what tyre he was on, they are using the C4 & C5 for the test

Quali was at night & the the test was in the day &!the track is supper-rubbered in now, after the race which always makes the cars quicker

cars were running old engines for the race where as the engines for the test would have been new also giving a big boost as they could be run at full capacity, especially given as they don’t have to last for 5 full weekends running

Emag
Emag

the EDGE wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:20
Emag wrote:
Apparently Fernando has gone faster in today's test than both Ocon and Ric did in qualifying. Track conditions are different, but that's impressive nonetheless. I thought he would struggle for a while since he has been out of F1 for quite a bit now, but apparently we should expect him to be very fast when the season starts next year.

For a start we don’t know what tyre he was on, they are using the C4 & C5 for the test

Quali was at night & the the test was in the day &!the track is supper-rubbered in now, after the race which always makes the cars quicker

cars were running old engines for the race where as the engines for the test would have been new also giving a big boost as they could be run at full capacity, especially given as they don’t have to last for 5 full weekends running
Just a note about the tires. C5 was used on qualifying this week too so no difference there. Actually the tires are probably in Alonso's favor because there are reports stating that he used 2021 C5 tires, which are a tad bit harder than this year's C5.

Nevertheless, that still leaves a ton of other variables to make the laptime very unreliable. Quite impressive nonetheless because this was the first time he properly drove this year's car.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Emag wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:27
the EDGE wrote:
Emag wrote:

Just a note about the tires. C5 was used on qualifying this week too so no difference there. Actually the tires are probably in Alonso's favor because there are reports stating that he used 2021 C5 tires, which are a tad bit harder than this year's C5.

Nevertheless, that still leaves a ton of other variables to make the laptime very unreliable. Quite impressive nonetheless because this was the first time he properly drove this year's car.
Wow, I didn’t realise they run the C5s on Sunday, I just assumed it was C2-C4 because of how well the lasted

diffuser

bauc wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:13
Emag wrote:
Track conditions, PU settings ect... this was done for Alonso do get a grip of the current car and Renault to catch headlines for sponsors ... aka Alonso is back 1 day and already faster than RIC & OCN

If Mclaren do their homework properly, we can fight for P3 next year again, maybe a win or two
The odds for one win is long. Look at how fast RBR were this year and they only made 1 win. Now we'd have to beat both of them. Not to mention the Pink W11. The Pink W11 is gonna give RBR a run for their money in 2021.

Xero

I'm sure everyone has seen this going about, but it's even more bizarre with some more added numbers.

In his last race for McLaren, Carlos Sainz in car #55 has helped secure McLaren's career total of 5555.5 points, after 55 laps of the 5.55km long Abu Dhabi GP circuit.

Mind. Blown. :o

bauc

diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:38
bauc wrote:
Emag wrote:
Track conditions, PU settings ect... this was done for Alonso do get a grip of the current car and Renault to catch headlines for sponsors ... aka Alonso is back 1 day and already faster than RIC & OCN

If Mclaren do their homework properly, we can fight for P3 next year again, maybe a win or two
The odds for one win is long. Look at how fast RBR were this year and they only made 1 win. Now we'd have to beat both of them. Not to mention the Pink W11. The Pink W11 is gonna give RBR a run for their money in 2021.
Yes correct, but this year we were very close to 1-2 finish at Monza so anything can happen in both directions
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:36
Emag wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

Wow, I didn’t realise they run the C5s on Sunday, I just assumed it was C2-C4 because of how well the lasted
Yeah I agree hard to compare, normaly it's hotter in the day, in Abu dhabi makes the cars slower. That and 2 100ths is really nothing.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 20:07
the EDGE wrote:
Emag wrote:

Yeah I agree hard to compare, normaly it's hotter in the day, in Abu dhabi makes the cars slower. That and 2 100ths is really nothing.
Also remember that with 20 cars on track it is more difficult to find a clean run. Also, are track limits being policed?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JRindt

Regardless of testing times, it’s foolish to underestimate Alonso. That man went to completely new categories of racing and blitzed the opposition ( or at least was competitive in the case of Dakar). And it’s not like he was sitting on the couch and twiddling his thumbs these last 2 years :roll:

I expect him to be fully on speed and will pose a stiff challenge to Mclaren

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

bauc wrote:
Emag wrote:

Hmm, how so? You imply that Renault was hiding some pace in the qualifying of the gp just for that? Tires were same, if not harder. Only track conditions are the variable.

Andres125sx

Xero wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:50
I'm sure everyone has seen this going about, but it's even more bizarre with some more added numbers.

In his last race for McLaren, Carlos Sainz in car #55 has helped secure McLaren's career total of 5555.5 points, after 55 laps of the 5.55km long Abu Dhabi GP circuit.

Mind. Blown. :o
Is this real? :wtf:

Andres125sx

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... lKQIA.html

Nice article with some emotive quotes and videos

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 20:35
diffuser wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

Also remember that with 20 cars on track it is more difficult to find a clean run. Also, are track limits being policed?
Most importantly, no engine mode limitations. If they want to find several tenths, you'd pull plenty out of the engine without trouble. Especially if it was new.

Lando appeared fast v Carlos this weekend with a new engine. New engine plus party mode must be close to .5 if they wanted it.

I don't think we'll know until next year how fast he is, but what is for sure, is that there is a big name coming back to the sport who will offer some moments of brilliance and some exciting racing, and probably against Lando And Danny, so I'm properly looking forward to another hard fought battle between several teams with exciting racers. Vettel, Alonso, Danny... all champions or potential champion levels in the midfield battle.

[caveat] As long as we come out on top [/caveat]
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

diffuser

JRindt wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 20:36
Regardless of testing times, it’s foolish to underestimate Alonso. That man went to completely new categories of racing and blitzed the opposition ( or at least was competitive in the case of Dakar). And it’s not like he was sitting on the couch and twiddling his thumbs these last 2 years :roll:

I expect him to be fully on speed and will pose a stiff challenge to Mclaren
Think he's showing he up to speed now with those numbers. He could have stepped in for Riccardo this past weekend and they wouldn't have skip a beat. Aside from that, you can't say much else.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 22:29
Big Tea wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 20:35
diffuser wrote:

Most importantly, no engine mode limitations. If they want to find several tenths, you'd pull plenty out of the engine without trouble. Especially if it was new.

Lando appeared fast v Carlos this weekend with a new engine. New engine plus party mode must be close to .5 if they wanted it.

I don't think we'll know until next year how fast he is, but what is for sure, is that there is a big name coming back to the sport who will offer some moments of brilliance and some exciting racing, and probably against Lando And Danny, so I'm properly looking forward to another hard fought battle between several teams with exciting racers. Vettel, Alonso, Danny... all champions or potential champion levels in the midfield battle.

[caveat] As long as we come out on top [/caveat]
F*cken eh!