[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

McL-H wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 00:03
adrianjordan wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 23:48
As for W11?? Merc will likely call next year's car the W12 (their social media spoke of the final race for the W11) and I don't think we can expect to be fighting with Merc next season anyway.
Well, some people called this years W10 the RP20. But that doesn’t make it so :wink:
I don't follow?? Next year RP won't be able to copy the W11, they will HAVE to develop their own car from the RP20.

Unless you're suggesting Aston Martin will break the rules next year?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:38
bauc wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:13
Emag wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:02
Apparently Fernando has gone faster in today's test than both Ocon and Ric did in qualifying. Track conditions are different, but that's impressive nonetheless. I thought he would struggle for a while since he has been out of F1 for quite a bit now, but apparently we should expect him to be very fast when the season starts next year.
Track conditions, PU settings ect... this was done for Alonso do get a grip of the current car and Renault to catch headlines for sponsors ... aka Alonso is back 1 day and already faster than RIC & OCN

If Mclaren do their homework properly, we can fight for P3 next year again, maybe a win or two
The odds for one win is long. Look at how fast RBR were this year and they only made 1 win. Now we'd have to beat both of them. Not to mention the Pink W11. The Pink W11 is gonna give RBR a run for their money in 2021.
This is just getting annoying and childish now. Aston Martin (née Racing Point) will not, that is NOT, be able to simply copy the W11 as the basis for their 2021 car.

They will have to develop their own car using the RP20 as a base. Yes, they will buy some components from Merc, but they won't have had anywhere near as long as Merc to optimise their design for them.

Can we just please stop with all the childish ignorance regarding what RP/AM will be able to do next season.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mwillems

adrianjordan wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:12
McL-H wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
As for W11?? Merc will likely call next year's car the W12 (their social media spoke of the final race for the W11) and I don't think we can expect to be fighting with Merc next season anyway.
Well, some people called this years W10 the RP20. But that doesn’t make it so :wink:
I don't follow?? Next year RP won't be able to copy the W11, they will HAVE to develop their own car from the RP20.

The main thing they can take is the coveted rear suspension from this years Mercedes and a new gearbox, without using tokens. And still have 2 tokens left.

The use of the new floor however means that they can't copy this years Merc in many respects, as it simply wouldn't work.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

adrianjordan wrote:
McL-H wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

The W11 was an evolution of the W10 and RP (Aston) will be using the W11 suspension... We should expect a very similar car to the W11 next year (in addition of what they have learned this year about the W10)... Aston Martin should be strong next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:39
adrianjordan wrote:
McL-H wrote:

The W11 was an evolution of the W10 and RP (Aston) will be using the W11 suspension... We should expect a very similar car to the W11 next year (in addition of what they have learned this year about the W10)... Aston Martin should be strong next season

You think it is that straight forward? Even the teams talk of a front to back redesign to work with the new floor.

I'm sure it won't be a million miles away, but I think there is time to be gained and lost and this can offer a mini shakeup.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

ScottR267
ScottR267

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... sing-2020/

Firstly good to see a vast sum raised in a short period of time over a pandemic all for a good cause.

Secondly, deal extended for next year which albeit I imagine is not monetary rewarding it is from a business and CSR point of view. McLaren really have had a full 360 on things over the last 2-3 years since their troubled times.

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:17
diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:38
bauc wrote:

Track conditions, PU settings ect... this was done for Alonso do get a grip of the current car and Renault to catch headlines for sponsors ... aka Alonso is back 1 day and already faster than RIC & OCN

If Mclaren do their homework properly, we can fight for P3 next year again, maybe a win or two
The odds for one win is long. Look at how fast RBR were this year and they only made 1 win. Now we'd have to beat both of them. Not to mention the Pink W11. The Pink W11 is gonna give RBR a run for their money in 2021.
This is just getting annoying and childish now. Aston Martin (née Racing Point) will not, that is NOT, be able to simply copy the W11 as the basis for their 2021 car.

They will have to develop their own car using the RP20 as a base. Yes, they will buy some components from Merc, but they won't have had anywhere near as long as Merc to optimise their design for them.

Can we just please stop with all the childish ignorance regarding what RP/AM will be able to do next season.
I am over it. I just think it's a good way to refer to the 2021 RP challenger. I don't mean anything negative by it.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:47
SmallSoldier wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

You think it is that straight forward? Even the teams talk of a front to back redesign to work with the new floor.

I'm sure it won't be a million miles away, but I think there is time to be gained and lost and this can offer a mini shakeup.
Whatever RP did this year with the parts they got from 2019 Merc, it worked. You need to believe that they're gonna be able to do the same thing next year. In fact, I expect them to improve on that process based on what they've learned.

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

A few questions.

1. As per the 2021 regulations, what all can be updated using tokens?
2. What are the implications of having those revised floors, brake ducts and diffusers?
3. Can teams claw back the downforce the lost to the new regs by other means?
4. Are McLaren at a disadvantage as they can't use development tokens?
5. How can these regulations shake up the grid?
6. Why did McLaren opt for the PU change in 2021? Did they do it so that they can iron out the problems involved in integrateing a different PU in 2021 and focus on higher ambitions in 2022?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
adrianjordan wrote: I don't follow?? Next year RP won't be able to copy the W11, they will HAVE to develop their own car from the RP20.

It definitely isn’t that straight forward... But the teams have probably been working on that change for most of the year and we shouldn’t underestimate the engineer capability of all the teams.

We have already seeing teams experimenting with the new floors (Mclaren did it as early as Spa this year)... And even though there is an expectation that downforce will be lost, the times Mclaren was doing with the new floor weren’t that far off the pace as one would expect from a predicted 10% of downforce loss.

Can it shake up the grid? I believe that it can... But not because of the new floor itself, but more because of the different concepts the teams run... There are some that think that the changes will affect more those teams with a high rake philosophy than those with a low one, but I’ve also read opinions of the contrary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JRindt

SmallSoldier wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
McL-H wrote:

Aren’t RP already using Merc’s 2020 suspension?

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/raci ... uspension/

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:19
The main thing they can take is the coveted rear suspension from this years Mercedes
rear suspension Mercedes 2020 they put in Sochi
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... regeln-f1/

adrianjordan

Nivedanm wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 05:34
A few questions.

1. As per the 2021 regulations, what all can be updated using tokens?

- There is a really good table earlier in this thread.

2. What are the implications of having those revised floors, brake ducts and diffusers?

- Reduced down force from the floor is the main one.

3. Can teams claw back the downforce the lost to the new regs by other means?

- Yes and there are suggestions that Merc, at least, have already done so.

4. Are McLaren at a disadvantage as they can't use development tokens?

- In terms of aero? No, there are no tokens applied to aero. In terms of other aspects, arguably yes. That is why they have been bringing parts for next year's car on to the track this season.

5. How can these regulations shake up the grid?

- Potentially, though don't expect anything drastic at the front.

6. Why did McLaren opt for the PU change in 2021? Did they do it so that they can iron out the problems involved in integrateing a different PU in 2021 and focus on higher ambitions in 2022?

- Originally this was supposed to be the last season of the current regs, with the new cars coming in for 2021. That all got pushed back a year when Covid struck. McLaren decided to still go ahead with the PU swap for 2021 anyway. Arguably it will mean they will have a better knowledge of cooling requirements etc ready for their 2022 car.

genarro
genarro

do we have any information about the state of the wind tunnel, simulator etc.. last time i saw any news were when Seidl said that they are put on hold. however with new funding and prize money they are probably continuing them in the background.

bauc

ALO_Power wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 21:23
bauc wrote:
Emag wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 17:02
Apparently Fernando has gone faster in today's test than both Ocon and Ric did in qualifying. Track conditions are different, but that's impressive nonetheless. I thought he would struggle for a while since he has been out of F1 for quite a bit now, but apparently we should expect him to be very fast when the season starts next year.

Hmm, how so? You imply that Renault was hiding some pace in the qualifying of the gp just for that? Tires were same, if not harder. Only track conditions are the variable.
Lest talk no more about Renault here, but you can put fresh PU in the back of Alonso's car and use different modes, something that was not allowed during the season and something a PU at the end of the life cycle would have not been able to do.

Cheeers!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg