McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: McLaren MCL35M

And LOL how could i missed cleaner airbox at first. Seems they just "copied" adapt Merc solution and said we are done here go to next area. (I m almosr certain internal airbox area will be 2020 Merc/FI design) Why bother with high science before 2022. Especially prudent step if you AGAIN change to another manufacturer before biggest rules change in F1. Also good thinking especially before huge sportsmanship and financial uncertainty witch lies ahead.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

haza
haza

I have a feeling if this car turns out fast a lot of people will complain the whole mid section is completely different

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

SmallSoldier wrote:Was there a J-Vane behind the Cape in last year’s car?... I believe I spotted one in the MCL35M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
J-Vanes were behind the caps in the MCL35 also:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aleks_ader

haza wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:18
I have a feeling if this car turns out fast a lot of people will complain the whole mid section is completely different
LMAO if they followed rules with tokens together with FIA. Why would they be upset really.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

the EDGE
the EDGE

haza wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:18
They can complain all they like, the FIA had to authorise all changes in advance so there’s nothing anyone can do about it

Emag
Emag

Hopefully tomorrow morning we get some nice on-track pictures of the car. Maybe a glimpse of the diffuser, or a side shot to better judge the ride-height / rake.

Also, from some comparison pics I have seen, this car might be slightly longer as well.

Xero

aleks_ader wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:17
And LOL how could i missed cleaner airbox at first. Seems they just "copied" adapt Merc solution and said we are done here go to next area. (I m almosr certain internal airbox area will be 2020 Merc/FI design) Why bother with high science before 2022. Especially prudent step if you AGAIN change to another manufacturer before biggest rules change in F1. Also good thinking especially before huge sportsmanship and financial uncertainty witch lies ahead.
Wouldn't say they copied, just built to specification of the Merc PU, as you quite rightly mentioned. Same as the first year with Renault, built to specification until they understood what was underneath them.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

New configuration:

Blackout

aleks_ader wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:01
2) Additionally is quite obvious that Merc thermal footprint is much smaller than Renault. At leat from my count potato eyes. Ofc Mcl could also risk to much and they will accomodate bigger exist accordigly. We will see in testing if they will test new cooling regime in hot contidions.
Or Mclaren seized the opportunity to copy Mercs extremely hollowed out tub sides (in order to reduce footprint and frontal area)? #token-free_update https://i.imgur.com/ltLAQvY.jpg
Nice work on the sidepods indeed. They've been shrunken in every angle (downwash, undercut, overcut, footprint)
Last edited by Blackout on 16 Feb 2021, 10:14, edited 2 times in total.

Jolle
Jolle

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:37
New configuration:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202102 ... c32cba.jpg

Aren't those MCL35 pics from the launch last year? they miss several upgrades during the season last year.

charliesmithhd

Jolle wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:48
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:37
New configuration:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202102 ... c32cba.jpg

Aren't those MCL35 pics from the launch last year? they miss several upgrades during the season last year.
no, the horizontal elements were added mid-late season

elldizzle
elldizzle

Side of the bargeboard area where the horizontal strakes are had definitely evolved from the introductions made last season. Looking a lot more redbull esc.
The renders are also hiding a lot of details that are on the physical car. especially around the bargeboard area. not to mention the blank rear diffuser on the renders.

GoranF1
GoranF1

In exception of Brawn GP switching to Mercedes from 08 to 09 the Engine manufacturer change rearly ever goes well. On top of that rules this year didnt alow them to change chassis 100% to their liking. Lets see how this goes.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

elldizzle wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 22:58
Side of the bargeboard area where the horizontal strakes are had definitely evolved from the introductions made last season. Looking a lot more redbull esc.
The renders are also hiding a lot of details that are on the physical car. especially around the bargeboard area. not to mention the blank rear diffuser on the renders.
Yeah it has, I was gonna say they photshopped the pictures ...

They move more stuff above the PU to rear.

In the side by side comparison you can see this years is a little fuller on the top.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/02/ ... and-mcl35/

bauc

We got to see a pretty basic launch spec car but I'm fine with that, as always the devil is in the details and I'm sure that starting tomorrow from the filming day onwards we will see a lot more bits coming on to the car and like few other people here I would love to see a photo of the diffuser
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg