McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: McLaren MCL35M

So i am not sure If i got the rule change for this year right. Others cant change their chassis from 20 to 21 but Mclaren can because they changed PU manufacturer?
If this is not correct, what can others change? Thx.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Slimmer than a W11??

Blackout

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 17:37
Key mentioned that the car had indeed a longer wheelbase
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks.
A GIf
Last edited by Blackout on 16 Feb 2021, 21:58, edited 2 times in total.

haza
haza

kfrantzios wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 19:15
Slimmer than a W11??
https://i.imgur.com/MVoLPPo.jpg
A lot thinner also a note on how much the McLaren has evolved a lot of the car similar in concept to Mercedes

the EDGE
the EDGE

kfrantzios wrote:
Slimmer than a W11??
These things are always impossible to tell from this type of comparison as you do t know if the original ratio’s of the pictures have been preserved

It’s very easy to stretch & squash out of shape

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Maybe top down but if you see how fast the body work slopes down on the Merc, it’s still an engineering marvel

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
kfrantzios wrote:
Slimmer than a W11??
These things are always impossible to tell from this type of comparison as you do t know if the original ratio’s of the pictures have been preserved

I guess that with the right program / app, we could use the tires to make sure that is properly scale? Because if it is, we could make better assumptions analysis, from how skinny it is to how much the wheelbase may have grown

Blackout

In my gif, front and rear wheels of both cars match perfectly if you superimpose them, and it's a render, not a photo : )
Last edited by Blackout on 16 Feb 2021, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 19:41
the EDGE wrote:
kfrantzios wrote:
Slimmer than a W11??

I guess that with the right program / app, we could use the tires to make sure that is properly scale? Because if it is, we could make better assumptions analysis, from how skinny it is to how much the wheelbase may have grown

Well it Worked for Racing Point :lol: :lol: :lol:

What makes me sceptical here is the way everting lines-up perfectly, that can’t be the case in reality.

Macklaren
Macklaren

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 19:25
Maybe top down but if you see how fast the body work slopes down on the Merc, it’s still an engineering marvel
Understandable. Key himself says that the chassis integration on the 35M is not optimal due to the token restrictions

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Drew up an axis and some lines. Everything was drawn in the merc side and then mirrored along the axis.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Macklaren wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 20:00
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Understandable. Key himself says that the chassis integration on the 35M is not optimal due to the token restrictions
What he said was the homologation “probably led to a slightly suboptimal approach compared to what you do if you’re completely free, but I don’t think it was that much of a compromise”.

It take that to mean they pretty much got to the same place, they just had to go the long way round

The big downside was they couldn’t adjust anything not related to the instillation, like the other teams who have tokens could

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

kfrantzios wrote:Drew up an axis and some lines. Everything was drawn in the merc side and then mirrored along the axis.
If I’m looking at correctly, the MCL35M has the same wheelbase as the W11, which means it has grown considerably versus the MCL35... Definitely going for the LWB concept (we will soon find out if it also has lower rake, which would be too be expected).

It is impressive how Mclaren has been to shrink the engine covers to be close to the W11 in that regard (at least from a top view perspective).

Thank you!

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 20:28
kfrantzios wrote:Drew up an axis and some lines. Everything was drawn in the merc side and then mirrored along the axis.
https://i.imgur.com/73e6fH0.jpg
If I’m looking at correctly, the MCL35M has the same wheelbase as the W11, which means it has grown considerably versus the MCL35... Definitely going for the LWB concept (we will soon find out if it also has lower rake, which would be too be expected).

It is impressive how Mclaren has been to shrink the engine covers to be close to the W11 in that regard (at least from a top view perspective).

Thank you!

Lets not forget that W11 is much slimmer at the top if you look at it from a side view compared to the MCL35M.

Macklaren
Macklaren

the EDGE wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 20:27
Macklaren wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 20:00
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
What he said was the homologation “probably led to a slightly suboptimal approach compared to what you do if you’re completely free, but I don’t think it was that much of a compromise”.

It take that to mean they pretty much got to the same place, they just had to go the long way round

The big downside was they couldn’t adjust anything not related to the instillation, like the other teams who have tokens could
We could have gone further
When modifying the chassis, we worked very closely with the FIA to ensure we were only changing what we needed to, but this meant we couldn’t exploit the chassis change as much as we would have liked in the pursuit of performance. Although we spent our development tokens on the power unit installation, it’s not fully optimised because of the rules around homologation. We would have done it differently were it not for the restrictions put in place for 2021.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/car ... y-changes/