McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
_cerber1

Re: McLaren MCL35M

charliesmithhd

They're being very secretive, blacking out bargeboards rear bodywork and rear wing endplates :cry:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

charliesmithhd wrote:They're being very secretive, blacking out bargeboards rear bodywork and rear wing endplates :cry:
Which just shows how hard they try to give as little as possible away... We got a very good view of the rear wing end plates yesterday for example

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

Macklaren wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 21:00

We could have gone further
When modifying the chassis, we worked very closely with the FIA to ensure we were only changing what we needed to, but this meant we couldn’t exploit the chassis change as much as we would have liked in the pursuit of performance. Although we spent our development tokens on the power unit installation, it’s not fully optimised because of the rules around homologation. We would have done it differently were it not for the restrictions put in place for 2021.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/car ... y-changes/

yes i'm aware of that, but let's look at what has been redesigned:-

Chassis (tub) behind driver to accommodate new battery bank, which also required a new fuel tank
fuel system
Roll crash structure & air box
radiators & side pods
Cooling
Wiring looms
PU
Hydraulics
floor
wheelbase
gearbox casing
exhaust

In fact the only things that haven't been completely redesigned behind the driver are the rear suspension, brakes and the DRS actuator.

But this is the same for all teams. All teams could say this years car is compromised because they all would have re-designed their cars for '21 given the choice. all teams could have gone further

Macklaren
Macklaren

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 21:18
charliesmithhd wrote:They're being very secretive, blacking out bargeboards rear bodywork and rear wing endplates :cry:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuXsF0qXUAM ... name=large
Which just shows how hard they try to give as little as possible away... We got a very good view of the rear wing end plates yesterday for example

Yes, but this photoshop effort implies that the actual car they ran today was different

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 19:41
I guess that with the right program / app, we could use the tires to make sure that is properly scale? Because if it is, we could make better assumptions analysis, from how skinny it is to how much the wheelbase may have grown
There is a team that could do it :D. Now that they can't use it to copy over Mercedes, they could share high quality 3D models for us to enjoy until the season start.

f1rules
f1rules

if anyone finds a good bet regarding mcl winning a gp this year let me know :-) with ricciardo onboard, merc in the back, and a nicely optimized package going ALL in on trying to claw back rear df with huge undercut and an aggressive sidepod ramp, long wheelbase resulting in more floor=more df, their reluctance to show anything to the public just yet, and them over and over mentioning how they had to make compromise with pu integration,(the merc defense route) makes me dream of something big is on the horisont

im no way suggesting they can challenge top two, but when a chaos gp happens, mcl is normally very good at staying calm, so that combined with the above reasons...
Last edited by f1rules on 16 Feb 2021, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

What jumped out at me right away was the enormous amount of undertray "overhang" all around the body work. It's really quite something.

The bodywork has really been tucked in all around its perimeter.

This thing, just sitting there, looks like it is generating an enormous amount of downforce.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Macklaren wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 21:26
SmallSoldier wrote:

Yes, but this photoshop effort implies that the actual car they ran today was different
Is the floor not an area that will be developed? I know you can't have holes in it, but some kind of bumps should be legal? I can see that they didn't hide anything on the floor.

BTW on a very positive note, the filming day seems to have gone well. Car runs and seems to be fine. We can all remember years when McLaren could do running first day due to constant issues with the engine and the car. Hopefully they can hit the test running and rack in some serious mileage.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

End plate that was run today, same as yesterday’s:

Macklaren
Macklaren

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 21:42

End plate that was run today, same as yesterday’s:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202102 ... b81e3b.jpg

Is it? The vertical slots on the lower endplates are not visible in this and the pitlane pic. That part also appears to have a vertical trailing edge vs. slanted at the same angle as the upper endplate in the studio shot.
IDK I'm probably seeing things and falling for their photoshop misdirection but this is the exciting part of car launches!

the EDGE
the EDGE

More photoshopping of bargeboards area inside of left from wheel or just shadow?

McFAN
McFAN

somewhat similar to the one trialled last season.
Last edited by McFAN on 16 Feb 2021, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

Spotted this gap in the endplates.

charliesmithhd

the gap between the nose and chassis panels is back again, seems to lift up at speed or something