McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
michl420
michl420

Re: McLaren MCL35M

I'm interested how much air from the sidepod cooler vents throught the outlets on top and how much goes through the car to the back. Because when the share is very large, the exhaust area of the sidepod can be shrinked more and more.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Proof of an assymetric design right there! :lol:
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

f1rules
f1rules

do we think theyll test again tomorrow or wait until better weather, whenever that will be :-) makes good sense with tomorrow i quess, they would have been able to disable the car today and back together as well go through and evaluate collected data

f1rules
f1rules

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Copying from the Team Thread, picture by shinekraj

Even though the angles may be slightly different and the MCL35M might be a bit stretched out (I would have expected the front wing to match perfectly... Although the MCL35 picture is showing the old nosecone)... The increase in Wheelbase is fairly visible and considerable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 20:20

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202102 ... 04d34f.jpg

Even though the angles may be slightly different and the MCL35M might be a bit stretched out (I would have expected the front wing to match perfectly... Although the MCL35 picture is showing the old nosecone)... The increase in Wheelbase is fairly visible and considerable.

The picture suggests the MCL35M nose is longer, which I don't think can happen due to homologation. So whilst the wheelbase definitely does appear longer, the scaling of those two car, and perhaps the camera angles, or lens type, seems different and makes the difference between the cars look more than what it is, I think.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

It's a complex solution already.

Full steam ahead on bargeboards and floor sealing this year. It'll be interesting to see what cheeky little tricks they can find for the floor.

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 20:25
SmallSoldier wrote:

The picture suggests the MCL35M nose is longer, which I don't think can happen due to homologation. So whilst the wheelbase definitely does appear longer, the scaling of those two car, and perhaps the camera angles, or lens type, seems different and makes the difference between the cars look more than what it is, I think.
Well it is possible the nose is slightly longer. Only the structural part is homologated (the front crash structure)

Fairings are free to change, and given people think the tip profile has changed, it’s likely the tip is non structural so could have been extended a little too

Sieper

On one of the pictures it now has the rounded nose like Mercedes. Indeed the nosecone can be freely changed, only the monoque itself must remain the same.

Blackout

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

In this gif, both wheels and the wings match perfectly if you superimpose them (because it's a 3d render, lens is not relevant and "camera"" angle seems to be identical) https://i.imgur.com/7r84FI4.gif
But on the render, it seems front ride height is higher and the rear looks a bit lower... less rake?

Xero

SmallSoldier wrote:
I think this picture demonstrates the change in sidepod shape nicely. Mass has been shifted from below the T-Cam further down the coke bottle, but has been lifted to retain the undercut. Has allowed for a much more aggressive ramp down over the sidepod to the floor, as was the trend last season. Getting the airflow attached to the floor earlier should help seal the diffuser more given the regulation changes in that area. The longer wheelbase and therefore longer floor also adds more benefits in it's effectiveness. The PU/tokens handicap may not have been as restrictive as we first feared.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Sensible analysis Xero. It’s how I see it too. There might be packaging areas which haven’t been able to be fully exploited due to the token system/fia but they’ve done an impressive job as far as I can tell. And if it’s building on the strengths of the MCL35 namely Med/high speed, brake stability and traction and works on the weaknesses, long radius slow corners then we are in for a treat this season.

Seidl mentioned it, we could end up 5th in WC but it the gap is seriously reduced to the leaders it has to be seen as a win.

The one area where Merc has been the clear leader is suspension kinematics and geometry. Giving them so much more performance (diffuser area) on top of the way it rides.

mwillems

Blackout wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 20:49
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

In this gif, both wheels and the wings match perfectly if you superimpose them (because it's a 3d render, lens is not relevant and "camera"" angle seems to be identical) https://i.imgur.com/7r84FI4.gif
But on the render, it seems front ride height is higher and the rear looks a bit lower... less rake?
The bulbous (Oh I love that word) nose on the 35M comes into the bottom area of the x in FX on the 35, so it does seem longer, the 35m wing also starts before the 35. But what struck me was that where the initial nose shape widens for the mounting points, this also starts later on the 35m. Perhaps the whole thing is stretched, by why would they stretch this area as it doesn't do much for floor area or for allowing the fitting of the extended gearbox bell housing.

I'm probably wrong but it seems a bit odd somehow.
Last edited by mwillems on 17 Feb 2021, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Xero

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 21:21
Sensible analysis Xero. It’s how I see it too. There might be packaging areas which haven’t been able to be fully exploited due to the token system/fia but they’ve done an impressive job as far as I can tell. And if it’s building on the strengths of the MCL35 namely Med/high speed, brake stability and traction and works on the weaknesses, long radius slow corners then we are in for a treat this season.

Seidl mentioned it, we could end up 5th in WC but it the gap is seriously reduced to the leaders it has to be seen as a win.

The one area where Merc has been the clear leader is suspension kinematics and geometry. Giving them so much more performance (diffuser area) on top of the way it rides.
There's potential for McLaren to overcome those weaknesses. My guess it's related to mechanical grip, as you mentioned, with the car scrubbing too much through those long radius turns. The rear downforce reduction gives everyone more overload on the front end, and along with an inevitable change in centre of gravity with the new Mercedes PU and chassis length increase, it opens up possibilities. Of course, it could go the other way, but the potential gives me hope.

dsdevries
dsdevries

SmallSoldier wrote:

I thought that for the 2021 season, because of Covid-19 and the effect this had on budgets, the teams agreed that it wouldn’t be allowed to change the chassis. Therefore, any change in wheelbase would have to come from the suspension setup. I highly doubt that this would be a viable option.