McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Mansell89 wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 17:06
Any thoughts on the MCL packaging now we’ve seen the other Mercedes powered cars?

Is it the lighting and our paint that hides the “bulge” or is it simply that Merc and Aston have gone tighter than McLaren and Williams?
Aston Martin through their copycat philosophy have learned what makes the Mercedes aerodynamics "tick" and thus have been able to integrate the observed Mercedes side-pod tightness and possibly other cooling arrangements into their own design without losing aerodynamic efficiency.
McLaren and Williams on the other hand are ignorant to what boundaries can be pushed with regard to sidepod profile with the Mercedes Engine. One is a newbie and the other has such a mess-up aero-philosophy they can't do anything but run a big fat bulb of a cover around the engine without melting everything in Dali-like fashion.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mclaren111

I like MCL35M's Smooth & Rounded (Green) start of the Sidepod...

haza
haza

Having seen the complexity of other teams aero ie, Aston, alpha tauri, alpine can we expect a new floor for testing ?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

haza wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 17:23
Having seen the complexity of other teams aero ie, Aston, alpha tauri, alpine can we expect a new floor for testing ?
Have we seen the floor yet?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Stu

mclaren111 wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 13:11
https://i.ibb.co/k6wjx5N/Euag-I-s-WQAE8-Yw1.jpg

The ‘sexy bulge’ is there (blue arrow and back) but the centreline cooling of the McLaren hides it nicely. Time was, bulges were called blisters and were thought of as a negative thing. By reducing the bulginess of the bulge there may be Coanda-style benefits to be had. That plus reduced bulk in the sidepod increases the floor area, which should prove to be a benefit. Proof will be in the performance, roll on testing and the season starting!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

PlatinumZealot

Stu wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 20:27
mclaren111 wrote:

The ‘sexy bulge’ is there (blue arrow and back) but the centreline cooling of the McLaren hides it nicely. Time was, bulges were called blisters and were thought of as a negative thing. By reducing the bulginess of the bulge there may be Coanda-style benefits to be had. That plus reduced bulk in the sidepod increases the floor area, which should prove to be a benefit. Proof will be in the performance, roll on testing and the season starting!
Blisters are tinier things. These are not blisters.

Not to sound nasty, but do they call it a blister in front of an embarrassed young man's pants? or a big ole' bulge?

A bulge is bigger thing, a blister is a tiny thing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Stu

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 20:36
Stu wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 20:27
mclaren111 wrote:

Blisters are tinier things. These are not blisters.

Not to sound nasty, but do they call it a blister in front of an embarrassed young man's pants? or a big ole' bulge?

A bulge is bigger thing, a blister is a tiny thing.
Sometimes it would be more accurate to call it a blister, until we see a comparative performance it is difficult to tell, those bulges could be made of gym-socks....
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

_cerber1

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Starting today maybe we will get some new pictures from the pitlane. Fingers crossed.

MrGapes

mclaren111

Is that a "Bulge" on the nose or a Shadow ??

McFAN
McFAN

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 10:32
Is that a "Bulge" on the nose or a Shadow ??

https://i.ibb.co/vwqzqCR/Ew-Dnl5-SWEAQ5-Tf.jpg
Here's a better view,
Looks like a reflection to me, not sure though

mclaren111

I think you're right... Looks like shadow...

KingHamilton01

Looking at the nose and comparing it to the Aston martin and Mercedes version, it look's like there isn't as much of a pinch in the McLaren version yet. This help's get the Airflow onto the cape earlier and improve airflow, so I wonder if we will get an updated version? or would this be classed as a structure change and would have to be done as a token change?
McLaren Mercedes

bosyber
bosyber

KingHamilton01 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:16
Looking at the nose and comparing it to the Aston martin and Mercedes version, it look's like there isn't as much of a pinch in the McLaren version yet. This help's get the Airflow onto the cape earlier and improve airflow, so I wonder if we will get an updated version? or would this be classed as a structure change and would have to be done as a token change?
Can they though? I mean, it's likely that would mean a change in nose crash-structure, which probably would have meant spending a token (or a spend of the allowed bit of update-space during the season). Ferrari have an indent in the nose _ahead_ of the rest of the crash structure, while both Mercedes and RP/AM already had the right shape there from last year.