McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: McLaren MCL35M

bosyber wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:41
KingHamilton01 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:16
Looking at the nose and comparing it to the Aston martin and Mercedes version, it look's like there isn't as much of a pinch in the McLaren version yet. This help's get the Airflow onto the cape earlier and improve airflow, so I wonder if we will get an updated version? or would this be classed as a structure change and would have to be done as a token change?
Can they though? I mean, it's likely that would mean a change in nose crash-structure, which probably would have meant spending a token (or a spend of the allowed bit of update-space during the season). Ferrari have an indent in the nose _ahead_ of the rest of the crash structure, while both Mercedes and RP/AM already had the right shape there from last year.
Not necessarily. Scarbs thinks that Ferrari has draped a new nose design on their old crash structure so they could change it with no token use. Maybe McLaren could do the same? (if they need to, looks like they have a different aero philosophy to Merc/AM)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
bosyber wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:
Looking at the nose and comparing it to the Aston martin and Mercedes version, it look's like there isn't as much of a pinch in the McLaren version yet. This help's get the Airflow onto the cape earlier and improve airflow, so I wonder if we will get an updated version? or would this be classed as a structure change and would have to be done as a token change?
Can they though? I mean, it's likely that would mean a change in nose crash-structure, which probably would have meant spending a token (or a spend of the allowed bit of update-space during the season). Ferrari have an indent in the nose _ahead_ of the rest of the crash structure, while both Mercedes and RP/AM already had the right shape there from last year.
Not necessarily. Scarbs thinks that Ferrari has draped a new nose design on their old crash structure so they could change it with no token use. Maybe McLaren could do the same? (if they need to, looks like they have a different aero philosophy to Merc/AM)
The difference with Alfa Romeo and Ferrari is where the cape actually starts... In both the AR and Ferrari the cape starts very early in the nose, while on Mclaren it starts further back.

AF and Ferrari have to start their cape early in order to avoid modifications to the crash structure, in Mclaren’s case, with it been further back a change on the structure may have been needed to increase the “dent” that feeds air to the top of the cape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KingHamilton01

bosyber wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:
Yeah I think you are right and that is the case, shame the token's they had to spend have limited them making these sort of changes I guess. Probably not a lot of time to be gained in this area anyway? I would say more time in how they come up with the floor solution now they are missing part of it.
McLaren Mercedes

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Now that all the teams have showed their contenders for the 2021 season, one of the key differences between the MCL35M and the rest of their competitors is the fin atop the body work at the rear of the car.

The MCL35M seems to have the shortest one compared to the rest of the teams (Alfa Romeo also has a relatively short one, but with still more real estate than the Mclaren one)... I’m hoping that the deviation from what seems to be the norm among the rest of the grid (maximize the fin area) doesn’t have a negative effect.

_cerber1

I think this is the main difference between our chassis and the rest, it looks like MCL35M has the narrowest side pontoons.

daren_p
daren_p

SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 20:35
Now that all the teams have showed their contenders for the 2021 season, one of the key differences between the MCL35M and the rest of their competitors is the fin atop the body work at the rear of the car.

The MCL35M seems to have the shortest one compared to the rest of the teams (Alfa Romeo also has a relatively short one, but with still more real estate than the Mclaren one)... I’m hoping that the deviation from what seems to be the norm among the rest of the grid (maximize the fin area) doesn’t have a negative effect.

I wouldn't be too concerned, looks to be more or less a continuation from last year, with MCL, RB, AT & AR having the smaller fins, as they did last year.

Emag
Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 21:05
I think this is the main difference between our chassis and the rest, it looks like MCL35M has the narrowest side pontoons.
https://ibb.co/hK0Hgcj
It's narrow all the way to the back. The only place where it is a little bit bulkier than the other cars is at the mid part of the chassis halfway to the gearbox.

F1Krof

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 21:05
https://ibb.co/hK0Hgcj
This looks insane. Looks like the image is sort of distorted. If it is for real as it looks, kudos to them =D> =D>
Wroom wroom

f1rules
f1rules

it is real, but from drone so not completely sharp, there will always be angles that flatter more or less and for sure this shows the best of the mcl35m, will be more clear when we hopwfully get similar pics from similar angles from all cars during testing
another

compared to the ferrari

Last edited by f1rules on 10 Mar 2021, 23:44, edited 6 times in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So, with McLaren having a new gearbox as part of the necessary changes to adapt the Mercedes engine, would this create an opportunity to mirror the Mercedes 2020 rear suspension? Just like Red Bull and Ferrari have reportedly done?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

f1rules
f1rules

what i like about the mclaren design is the baseline concept, undercut and sidepod ramp is aggressive, and then they made the centerpart more chubby, but with more real life experience with the merc pu, they should be able to, reasonable easy slim it during the season, if they desire to do so
Last edited by f1rules on 10 Mar 2021, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

f1rules
f1rules

i think so, but they didnt do, they kept a similar design to last year where the lower wishbones and drivetrain is almost forming one big wing, wheras merc moved one of their attachment points all the way back to the crash structure, above the center part of the diffuser, similar to when mclaren ran the butterfly suspension. I know it has been rumored rb followed mercs route, but i dont think so, they just cleaned it up a bit ala mclaren, but we need final confirmation on that
Ground Effect wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 22:20
So, with McLaren having a new gearbox as part of the necessary changes to adapt the Mercedes engine, would this create an opportunity to mirror the Mercedes 2020 rear suspension? Just like Red Bull and Ferrari have reportedly done?

f1rules
f1rules

nice to see a mclaren inspired solution on other cars, the spoon shaped bargeboard wing

Last edited by f1rules on 11 Mar 2021, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 12:32
nice to see a mclaren inspired solution on other cars, the spoon shaped bargeboard wing

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwMSPYeXEAQ ... name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwMTbWVWYAI ... name=small
Did you notice the Ferrari side pod wings? We haven’t seen that area on the 35M properly, but I think they’re a bit similar.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bosyber
bosyber

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 12:40
f1rules wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 12:32

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwMSPYeXEAQ ... name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwMTbWVWYAI ... name=small
Did you notice the Ferrari side pod wings? We haven’t seen that area on the 35M properly, but I think they’re a bit similar.
Yeah, made me think of that car too (of course, bit off topic for this car. I do expect McLaren might bring a tighter engine cover if testing shows their cooling is good, though it also looks like they put more cooling in the middle there to get those narrower sidepods, which would limit how much slimmer the 'top' can get.