BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hulmerist

Re: BrawnGP

if they even get a podium they're gonna look mighty stupid

they could've done what renault did and made improvements to their engine, kept going for one season with all the rule changes and see what happened...but they now may have to watch melbourne and see both the brawn cars running in the top 8

fools!

enkidu
enkidu

I had alot of respect for honda before they pulled out.... Lets just say what goes around comes around eh?

Conceptual
Conceptual

If I were Brawn, there would be a small Honda logo somewhere on the car. He knows who paid for this car, and I think that he is honorable enough to give back to them if it is successful.

Unless the Mercedes agreement says that he cannot have the Honda logo...

Ciro Pabón

Well, I kind of agree with Conceptual. Elegance doesn't need to be expensive.

In a way, if this is a fast car, then it is a legacy to the good things of the "Honda system": after all, in 2008 Honda Team designed and built it.

Mercedes engines can explain some of the difference.

I guess people will say that Ross Brawn had a stroke of luck.

Or maybe all the time he had a plan for this to happen... ;)

I think it was bad timing for Honda. Car industry is taking a hit, while F1 "industry" is perhaps finding additional income and becoming leaner.
Ciro

xpensive
xpensive

Trust me Ciro, elegance is veeery xpensive! :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ciro Pabón

xpensive wrote:Trust me Ciro, elegance is veeery xpensive! :lol:
I said it doesn't need to be expensive. It can cost you Zero.
Ciro

Scotracer
Scotracer

Rubens Barrichello stunned everyone by dipping under 1 min 19secs today. Massa told reporters that his Ferrari would not have been able to do that lap time. The car is very sound aerodynamically and voices around the team are saying that the Mercedes engine is as much as 70bhp up on last year’s Honda.
http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/

Just a little detective work:

- Honda stated their 2008 engine was ">700BHP"
- Mclaren never disclosed a figure but it was definitely 750BHP+ @ 19,000rpm
- If their 2009 engine is 70BHP more powerful than their 2008 engine that makes the minimum power of 770BHP @ 18,000rpm
- The 1000rpm drop reduces peak power by around 25BHP (Ferrari figure too) so that would make the 2008 Mclaren V8 at 795BHP minimum

That is a hell of a lot from a 2.4 V8 which is rev limited...
Last edited by Scotracer on 12 Mar 2009, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

xpensive
xpensive

Ah Ciro, you didn't really get that one, did you now?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo
timbo

Scotracer wrote:Just a little detective work:

- If their 2009 engine is 70BHP more powerful than their 2008 engine that makes the minimum power of 770BHP @ 18,000rpm
- The 1000rpm drop reduces peak power by around 25BHP (Ferrari figure too) so that would make the 2008 Mclaren V8 at 805BHP minimum

That is a hell of a lot from a 2.4 V10 which is rev limited...
I fail to see how 770+25 equals 805 HP. Still, 795 is good.

Scotracer
Scotracer

timbo wrote:
Scotracer wrote:Just a little detective work:

- The 1000rpm drop reduces peak power by around 25BHP (Ferrari figure too) so that would make the 2008 Mclaren V8 at 805BHP minimum

That is a hell of a lot from a 2.4 V10 which is rev limited...
I fail to see how 770+25 equals 805 HP. Still, 795 is good.

:lol:

I had the figure of 780BHP in my head when I was doing the mental arithmetic. All fixed.

Sterl the Pearl
Sterl the Pearl

Just a reminder it is a 2.4L V8, easy mistake.
GO JENSE!

Scotracer
Scotracer

FFS, 2 mistakes!

Ignore me :oops:

Conceptual
Conceptual

Alonso was very free with the information about how many "upgrades" the frozen Merc engine had in 2007.

It looks like it is paying huge dividends for Brawn right now. And I also read that BGP had the choice of Merc or Ferrari engines, but took the Merc because it was very similar in layout to the Honda engine that this car was designed around.

And it looks like the cooling may have helped clean up the drag a bit as well!

When was the last time that a throw-together, Frankenstein car was on the grid, let alone challenging for pole?

timbo
timbo

Conceptual wrote:When was the last time that a throw-together, Frankenstein car was on the grid, let alone challenging for pole?
Yep, in the era of dying team we need another Wolf, that's for sure.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Conceptual wrote:
Diesel wrote:I'd imagine right now those Honda execs that made the decision to drop the F1 team are getting fired. Atleast I bloody hope so, see how they like it!
The worst is that Honda is still paying the staff!

And they are getting NOTHING for it. No sticker on the car even! It looks like a large portion of last years budget went into this car too, so Honda are now watching their money at the top of the time sheets while running a Merc engine...

If Honda would have opted to produce 20 engines with the cleared upgrades, at least they would be getting something in return for their (continued) investment.

Now all they get is laughed at.

PS: It is also quite possible that the car would be even quicker with the Honda engine that this chassis was designed around. Other than some possible increase in cooling system drag, the Merc in the Honda shouldn't beat the Honda + upgrades in the Honda...
Rumor has it that the Honda cooling system was one of the lightest in the field, it was also efficient as well, only second to the Mercedes power plant. So efficient light cooling with a engine with the cleared upgrades and the reduction in weight, it may be that Honda have shot them selvs in the foot by not producing 20 engines and at least having a couple of "H" or Honda badges on the Brawn and calling it Brawn-Honda, may be a big shot in the foot. But the Merc engine with the Brawn chassis together makes for a intresting season.

If they have made a second up from last years times in Brazil to being a second ahead in Testing, they have found what is effectivly 2 seconds a lap on the entire field, and not many teams can come and compete with a advancement rate such as that.