BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marinopc
marinopc

Re: BrawnGP

If they're not running KERS I think that's why they can go that fast. They can move an extra ballast of about 30 kg (KERS weight) wherever they want. I think once they have the KERS fitted, the car will be less competitive. I'd love to see Brawn on top, I think they deserve it after a tough winter.

ISLAMATRON

marinopc wrote:If they're not running KERS I think that's why they can go that fast. They can move an extra ballast of about 30 kg (KERS weight) wherever they want. I think once they have the KERS fitted, the car will be less competitive. I'd love to see Brawn on top, I think they deserve it after a tough winter.
You are contradicting yourself... why would they fit KERS if it would make them less competitive? KERS is optional this year, any team would only fit it if they can lower their laptimes. If they dont fit KERS the cars fitted with it will slowly catch up to them... That is assuming they are truly this fast to begin with. I think they are running light, but are still kinda fast anyway. If will be fun to see if RB & JB still have the racecraft to race upfront.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Just reading Scarbs opinion on the Brawn - some interesting thoughts.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73700
Brawn GP has still produced a full width wing, but effectively the wingtip curls down to form the bottom half of the endplate, rather than an endplate being formed by vertical fence added to the wing tip. To meet the rules a large vane has been added to the foot plate to create sufficient side profile area.

Having no endplate makes the high pressure flow above the wing tip spill down the sides and around the front wheel, which also usefully reduces drag, offsetting the negative impact of the wider wing.
Beneath the raised chassis is an innovative feature in the form of a snow plough solution, similar to that sported last week by Williams. Starting from the splitter, a curved horizontal vane rises up to pick up the airflow passing under the nose.

As bargeboards in their conventional location are banned, the only place to put a vane is under the raised part of the chassis. Thus the Brawn GP solution is effectively a bargeboard mounted on its side.

The tumbling vortex of air spilling off the edge of the plough heads under the raised floor of the sidepods and feeds the diffuser higher pressure air. This allows the diffuser to flow more air and hence create a lot more downforce. This might be a critical feature in the BGP 001's pace.
Even with this device the car also sports small turning vanes mounted just ahead of the sidepods.

Whats the bets the three work together - the turbulence from the plough is enlarged by the small turning vanes, which helps entrain the vortex that the front endplate sends around the outside of the front wheel.

All this then run over the top of the diffuser.

:)

ISLAMATRON

Scarbs says "feeds the diffuser" but this is not exactly correct is it?... it goes over the top of the diffuser but also on the bridge wing which is also very effective is it not?

Is Scarbs saying that air from the sidepod inlets is exhausted through the U shaped section within the diffuser?
The car also appears to exit hot air under the gearbox fairing and rear crash structure, as part of a complex diffuser solution.

Afterburner

Anyone has information about top speeds on test? It would be interesting to compare top speeds with their times.

timbo
timbo

Afterburner wrote:Anyone has information about top speeds on test? It would be interesting to compare top speeds with their times.
I heard (I believe it is James Allen said so) BGP 001 is slower by 8 kph on straight than F60

Afterburner

That's interesting... Without kers and with a mercedes engine that is similar to ferrari only loses 8 kp/h. By the way, wich circuit was that measured?

timbo
timbo

Afterburner wrote:That's interesting... Without kers and with a mercedes engine that is similar to ferrari only loses 8 kp/h. By the way, wich circuit was that measured?
Barcelona, quite logically :wink:
JA said that this difference is down to KERS, however different aero may give that much easily.

vall
vall

I was watching youtube video of the testing on 11/12-03 and noticed how much lower that the other car is nose of the BGP car.

Afterburner

timbo wrote:
Afterburner wrote:That's interesting... Without kers and with a mercedes engine that is similar to ferrari only loses 8 kp/h. By the way, wich circuit was that measured?
JA said that this difference is down to KERS, however different aero may give that much easily.

Sorry, the way that BGP is performing made me forget that they only have tested at one circuit :shock:

Considering the long main straight, the aero efficiency required for barcelona and without kers extra top speed it has to be aero related. Catalunya also needs a little bit of good mechanical traction for the new turns and the old 6 and 7, from this point of view BGP it's well prepared for most of the races except, in my opinion, Melbourne, Canada and Monza because they are stop and go circuits, we have to wait to them.

Bob Brown

Afterburner wrote:
timbo wrote:

Sorry, the way that BGP is performing made me forget that they only have tested at one circuit :shock:

Considering the long main straight, the aero efficiency required for barcelona and without kers extra top speed it has to be aero related. Catalunya also needs a little bit of good mechanical traction for the new turns and the old 6 and 7, from this point of view BGP it's well prepared for most of the races except, in my opinion, Melbourne, Canada and Monza because they are stop and go circuits, we have to wait to them.
there is no more canada.

scarbs
scarbs

ISLAMATRON wrote:Scarbs says "feeds the diffuser" but this is not exactly correct is it?... it goes over the top of the diffuser but also on the bridge wing which is also very effective is it not?

Is Scarbs saying that air from the sidepod inlets is exhausted through the U shaped section within the diffuser?
The car also appears to exit hot air under the gearbox fairing and rear crash structure, as part of a complex diffuser solution.
The greater benefit of Bargeboards was the increase in pressure and its distribution ahead of the leading edge of the underfloor (that then goes under the floor).

I believe the Brawn solution is as much about getting the high pressure ahead of the floor, as that passing around the undercut and over the diffuser.

Afterburner

Bob Brown wrote:
there is no more canada.
Thanks for the correction.

Afterburner

ISLAMATRON wrote: You are contradicting yourself... why would they fit KERS if it would make them less competitive? KERS is optional this year, any team would only fit it if they can lower their laptimes. If they dont fit KERS the cars fitted with it will slowly catch up to them... That is assuming they are truly this fast to begin with. I think they are running light, but are still kinda fast anyway. If will be fun to see if RB & JB still have the racecraft to race upfront.
Felipe Massa said that Ferrari thinks BGP have been testing with ballast...

"The Brazilian's feelings shadow those of Renault's Fernando Alonso, as most of the grid appears to share the feeling that the Brackley-based team, despite their enormous lack of running over the winter, is ahead of many of their rivals. "I believe they did those laps in Barcelona with ballast onboard," Massa continued. "There's no point coming here to be quick to then go to the first race and being slow; I would say that, even if they do have no ballast on the car in testing but put it on for Australia, they would be quick anyway. They are really surprising. What I can say for us (Ferrari) is that, if you took Brawn away, we are very competitive."

in f1.gpudate.net

geordie racer
geordie racer

Slightly off current topic but it seems Brawn may have their first (major?) sponsor. Although unconfirmed this yahoo news rumour suggests so.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09032009/ ... onsor.html

I checked into this a little and apart from their colour scheme is similar to the current Brawn Black/Yellow/White, the BWIN.com website is not taking bets on the brawn team or drivers.

I am guessing that it would be illegal for them to take bets on a team for which they are a partner... If they are to be a sponsor.

Nice to meet you all btw.
"I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem" The one and only... Murray Walker