BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
freedom_honda

Re: BrawnGP

timbo wrote:
Afterburner wrote:Anyone has information about top speeds on test? It would be interesting to compare top speeds with their times.
I heard (I believe it is James Allen said so) BGP 001 is slower by 8 kph on straight than F60
thats across the start-finish line. not at the end of the straight.

ISLAMATRON

scarbs wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Scarbs says "feeds the diffuser" but this is not exactly correct is it?... it goes over the top of the diffuser but also on the bridge wing which is also very effective is it not?

Is Scarbs saying that air from the sidepod inlets is exhausted through the U shaped section within the diffuser?
The car also appears to exit hot air under the gearbox fairing and rear crash structure, as part of a complex diffuser solution.
The greater benefit of Bargeboards was the increase in pressure and its distribution ahead of the leading edge of the underfloor (that then goes under the floor).

I believe the Brawn solution is as much about getting the high pressure ahead of the floor, as that passing around the undercut and over the diffuser.
You lost me buddy, but can you confirm if they are exhausting sidepod inlet air thru the diffuser?

Ted68

A differrent take on the subject...

http://jalopnik.com/5165364/ross-brawn- ... s-brawn-gp
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

CHT
CHT

ISLAMATRON wrote:If they dont fit KERS the cars fitted with it will slowly catch up to them... .
It is still a question mark if the current KERS system and its regulation, will actually make a car go faster than one without KERS.

I got this bad feeling that if BGP can win without the KERS, then FIA will probably tweak the rules again to prevent other team for following.

enkidu
enkidu

CHT wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:If they dont fit KERS the cars fitted with it will slowly catch up to them... .
It is still a question mark if the current KERS system and its regulation, will actually make a car go faster than one without KERS.

I got this bad feeling that if BGP can win without the KERS, then FIA will probably tweak the rules again to prevent other team for following.
I don't believe that will happen TBH. You got to remember you can get a lot more performance out of a excellent car without KERS than a crap to drive car with KERS. But when brawn do finalise their KERS and install it, it will be faster per lap.

CHT
CHT

enkidu wrote:
CHT wrote:

I don't believe that will happen TBH. You got to remember you can get a lot more performance out of a excellent car without KERS than a crap to drive car with KERS. But when brawn do finalise their KERS and install it, it will be faster per lap.
I wont be surprise that many teams are now consider if it is a wiser move to run their cars without KERS and stop wasting time continuing to develop KERS since they might be having a standardized KERS in 2010. :)

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

scarbs wrote:The greater benefit of Bargeboards was the increase in pressure and its distribution ahead of the leading edge of the underfloor (that then goes under the floor).

I believe the Brawn solution is as much about getting the high pressure ahead of the floor, as that passing around the undercut and over the diffuser.
Yeap - draw a line where the split point will be along the bargeboard (you called it turning vane in that article), each side of which flow will tend to have an upward or downward velocity component along the surface of the bargeboard. (as well obviously as the longitudinal component)

From this, you can begin to see a spanwise distribution of pressure under the floor (to try and stop external flow under the car ruining everything).

ISLAMATRON

CHT wrote:
enkidu wrote:
CHT wrote:It is still a question mark if the current KERS system and its regulation, will actually make a car go faster than one without KERS.

I wont be surprise that many teams are now consider if it is a wiser move to run their cars without KERS and stop wasting time continuing to develop KERS since they might be having a standardized KERS in 2010. :)
If you think that 80hp is not a big enuff deal to make the teams want to install it then you re fooling yourself. Look at the performance difference between REd Bull & STR last year and that was estimated to be a only a 30 to 50 hp difference. MAx will not allow spec KERS next year, but it could be standerdised in the same way the engines are, he could say all the teams can build your own KERS but to such and such specs and with only these materials allowed i.e. no batteries. MAx, rightfully so, sees KERS as a future bassis of this series.

timbo
timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:If you think that 80hp is not a big enuff deal to make the teams want to install it then you re fooling yourself. Look at the performance difference between REd Bull & STR last year and that was estimated to be a only a 30 to 50 hp difference.
Yep, but keep in mind that it is only 6 seconds time per lap you can use it. Much less that full-throttle time you spend on the main straight at Barcelona.

ISLAMATRON

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:If you think that 80hp is not a big enuff deal to make the teams want to install it then you re fooling yourself. Look at the performance difference between REd Bull & STR last year and that was estimated to be a only a 30 to 50 hp difference.
Yep, but keep in mind that it is only 6 seconds time per lap you can use it. Much less that full-throttle time you spend on the main straight at Barcelona.
6.67 secs to be exact, I'm pretty sure the main strait takes longer than that on a 80 sec lap(Barcelona), but if not there is all ways the back straight to use it on too. Or do they only get to mash the KERS button 1nce per lap no matter how long they use it? Cant remember for sure.

CHT
CHT

ISLAMATRON wrote:
If you think that 80hp is not a big enuff deal to make the teams want to install it then you re fooling yourself. Look at the performance difference between REd Bull & STR last year and that was estimated to be a only a 30 to 50 hp difference. MAx will not allow spec KERS next year, but it could be standerdised in the same way the engines are, he could say all the teams can build your own KERS but to such and such specs and with only these materials allowed i.e. no batteries. MAx, rightfully so, sees KERS as a future bassis of this series.
unfortunately, the 80bhp gain from KERS you are talking about is only available for 6.66 sec per lap. And the only reason why KERS seems to make sense is because they are given 30-40kg weight advantage.

try imagine what will happen if a non KERS cars are allowed to run 30-40kg lighter.

timbo
timbo

CHT wrote:And the only reason why KERS seems to make sense is because they are given 30-40kg weight advantage.
What? Where did you got that from? Or there supposed to be "would" in that sentence?

CHT
CHT

timbo wrote:
CHT wrote:And the only reason why KERS seems to make sense is because they are given 30-40kg weight advantage.
What? Where did you got that from? Or there supposed to be "would" in that sentence?
A non KERS car weigh 605kg, while a KERS equipped car, which should weight about 30-40kg heavier, also weigh 605kg. AFAIK, 40kg of extra weight is about the weight of a fully filled fuel tank or 1sec per lap.

Do you think by having a 80hp advantage for just 6.66 sec per lap will make you 1 sec per lap faster than a car that is lighter and have more flexibility in weight distribution?

timbo
timbo

CHT wrote:Do you think by having a 80hp advantage for just 6.66 sec per lap will make you 1 sec per lap faster than a car that is lighter and have more flexibility in weight distribution?
The car will have better weight distribution and lower CofG without KERS but it would weight the same. 605 kg is weight with driver but without fuel.

ISLAMATRON

CHT wrote:
timbo wrote:
A non KERS car weigh 605kg, while a KERS equipped car, which should weight about 30-40kg heavier, also weigh 605kg. AFAIK, 40kg of extra weight is about the weight of a fully filled fuel tank or 1sec per lap.

Do you think by having a 80hp advantage for just 6.66 sec per lap will make you 1 sec per lap faster than a car that is lighter and have more flexibility in weight distribution?
First you said both cars weighed the same... then you said the NON-KERS car was lighter... pick 1 please, the correct one, they both weigh the same, both before and after fuel is added.

Moving 30kg of ballast slightly up and slightly to the rear will not make you 1 sec per lap slower. Unfortunately KERS was severely limited by the teams, most especially Ferrari, so it wont have the effect it really could have. They would rather spend 1k on lightweight 1 use wheel nuts than put that money toward KERS research. If they opened up KERS, and made it unlimited in power input and output, every team would be putting in more money into it than into engines and gearboxes right now because it truly would make the cars much faster.