BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tk421

Re: BrawnGP

Yeah I think all the doubters just need to be honest with themselves. The BGP001 is fast, plain and simple, no tricks, no gimmicks. I think it's time that everyone stops talking about BGP's car being underweight, or all that "attracting sponsors" nonsense. I think everyone needs to respect BGP as one of the faster teams. Brawn GP isn't messing around with their limited testing hours, and I expect them to be strong in Melbourne. On the topic of "the doubters just need to be honest with themselves," the same could be said with McLaren's MPslow-Twentyslow. C'mon, just be honest and admit that they'll be slow until they have a major overhaul (could be spain, could be hungary, who knows when it will come). I admit the McLaren reference is off-topic, but in terms of 'doubters' it seemed relevant. :lol:

Clarification: I'm not saying BGP will be the fastest team, and I'm not saying McLaren will be the slowest team. 'Doubters' are people who think a) Brawn will end up at the back of the grid, and b) McLaren will be at the front of the grid.

I'm just asking everyone to trust common sense! :mrgreen:
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

CHT
CHT

If the advantage of running KERS is only for overtaking during race (especially during the safety car restart) and not so much for qualifying, then I would think that BGP strategy will be to aim at qualifying on pole for every race so that they will have no fear about being overtaken by during the race.

Do that make sense?

Conceptual
Conceptual

I think KERS will be used to block a pass as often as it is used to pass someone.

I think Brawn went the right way with no KERS. If they are seriously that quick without it, why waste time on it?

Maybe Flavio should have thought about that instead of getting into a KERS pissing match with Theissen. Just because BMW has that advantage, he feels that he needs to have it as well... Even to the detriment of the development of the rest of the car.

I think that we will see a great show in Melbourne, and I am wondering what Fansite is going to start taking donations for a WFC that is based upon points scored instead of this quasi-medal system that we now have...

World Fan Champion!

PlatinumZealot

I think Brawn's car is Just FAST..

Just by looking at all the attention to detail in the aero you can tell (as silly as that sounds).

Fast engine, Fast aero, Fast chassis, Fast drivers.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Rob W

While I have no doubt they're quick, I'd like to offer a bet that they wont win any of the first 3 races of the year.

I reckon McLaren are running a super-methodical testing system aimed at set-ups for each race throughout the year (given the reduces testing this year) and are, in specific race trim, much faster than they would appear.

jamsbong
jamsbong

The testing form clearly shows they are consistently fast. I'll reserve my judgment until Friday Practice next week (in Melbourne). That is when all teams will reveal their true form.

I've had hopes that RedBull or BMW will be in winning form this year but BrawnGP has added a lot of mystery to 'who will be in the winning circle in 2009'

just wait and see I guess. Definitely looking forward to it though.

CHT
CHT

Rob W wrote:
I reckon McLaren are running a super-methodical testing system aimed at set-ups for each race throughout the year (given the reduces testing this year) and are, in specific race trim, much faster than they would appear.
like playing around with 2008 and 2009 rear wings and using green paints for aero trouble shooting?

Rob W

CHT wrote:like playing around with 2008 and 2009 rear wings and using green paints for aero trouble shooting?
It may seem so crude but unless you're an aero expert and know what they were trying to test it's hard to definitively say it is a sign of desperation. It is entirely likely they're testing with an '08 rear wing as they have a larger bank of knowledge on it to be able to factor out its influence while testing new front wings.

We'll see after the first couple of races of the season. Remember, the Brawn has shown some serious pace on the straights (for example) - but with the same engine McLaren hasn't? Seems to me they might be focussing one-eyed on the season ahead and less on impressing people watching.

CHT
CHT

Rob W wrote:
CHT wrote:like playing around with 2008 and 2009 rear wings and using green paints for aero trouble shooting?
It may seem so crude but unless you're an aero expert and know what they were trying to test it's hard to definitively say it is a sign of desperation. It is entirely likely they're testing with an '08 rear wing as they have a larger bank of knowledge on it to be able to factor out its influence while testing new front wings.

We'll see after the first couple of races of the season. Remember, the Brawn has shown some serious pace on the straights (for example) - but with the same engine McLaren hasn't? Seems to me they might be focussing one-eyed on the season ahead and less on impressing people watching.
No aero expert here, but I am saying this based on

a) Track time
b) Interview with Martin, Haug, Ron, Lewis
c) Observation from trackside jounalist who attended the test
d) And a little bit of logical thinking.

So what makes you think they are are running a super-methodical testing system aimed at set-ups for each race throughout the year (given the reduces testing this year) and are, in specific race trim, much faster than they would appear?

djos

I think even blind freddy can see that the Brawn Car is a seriously good piece of kit - even tho I think Jenson is a bit of a nonce sometimes I hope both he and Rubens do well this year while beating the pants of the factory MacMercs (Hamilton really needs at least one season in a --- car to get some perspective and tone down that attitude of his!).
"In downforce we trust"

djones
djones

Will they be using KERS later in the season or have they point blank ruled it out?

djos

djones wrote:Will they be using KERS later in the season or have they point blank ruled it out?
I'd be surprised if they had the money to waste on it.
"In downforce we trust"

freedom_honda

The more i think about it, the medal (without medals) system might benefit Brawn GP's two drivers. As their test pace have shown that they are about 1s clear of the rest of the field. Assume they don't have many reliability issues, Brawn GP should at least score a couple wins in the first half of the season. Since race win is all that counts this season, Brawn GP can have a pretty decent lead by the end of the first half of the season, while the other teams are playing catch up with their aero and KERS. and to the second half of the season, McLaren/Ferrari/BMW (and possibly Toyota and Williams), they should be fighting for the wins as well. Unless one team absolutely dominates the rest of the field, Brawn GP's lead should remain untouchable.

Obviously im simply assuming Brawn GP scores a LOT of wins in the first half of the season, and their reliability issues won't be a major problem for the team, which none of us know whether it is true or not until Aus GP.
djos wrote:
djones wrote:Will they be using KERS later in the season or have they point blank ruled it out?
I'd be surprised if they had the money to waste on it.
I heard they will be waiting for Merc's system and won't be using it until the end of the season.

TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

Lets not forget 1 thing here...Seasonal development will not be too radical as ther is no in season testing this year. I think that the team that starts the strongest will end the strongest!! :D
IT IS WHAT IT IS

CHT
CHT

freedom_honda wrote: I heard they will be waiting for Merc's system and won't be using it until the end of the season.
Honda did tested a flywheel KERS system which they developed with flybrid. If weight is a big factor in the KERS, I dont see why they would want to use the Mclaren battery KERS system because the flywheel is about half the weight and doesnt have any cooling problem.