2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:19
organic wrote:
Should have been a podium with clean qualifying if we go off the last Norris stint. But the races coming up will be good as well - nothing stands out at Brazil as being particularly bad for the car. Not sure about Vegas or Abu Dhabi
I think he could have fought for the win if not for the mistake yesterday.
Nothing indicated that TBH. Max was 5-7 tenths faster than Hamilton and similar to Norris despite cruising after the red flag

But pace was good enough for p2 or p3

Darth-Piekus

This winter is crucial. The team must outdevelop the rest if Mclaren wants to target for a championship right away.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 23:58
Honestly, this has been more fun to watch, than if Lando started 4 and came 2nd or 3rd.
agreed, although back on the podium next week would be nice!

thestig84
thestig84

SilviuAgo wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 23:28
I still believe Medium for both drivers was an awful decission. Like the one not to give a fresh engine to Lando. As I said after quali...a weekend to forget.
Stuff like this and so many posts have not aged well. Quite a lot on here need to take a second before jumping all in on the team or driver. Well done Mclaren and both drivers, not a perfect weekend but decent operation overall. Enjoyed it

mwillems

organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:20
mwillems wrote:
organic wrote:
Should have been a podium with clean qualifying if we go off the last Norris stint. But the races coming up will be good as well - nothing stands out at Brazil as being particularly bad for the car. Not sure about Vegas or Abu Dhabi
Nothing indicated that TBH. Max was 5-7 tenths faster than Hamilton and similar to Norris despite cruising after the red flag

But Norris had to work more, in a position where he didn't have to work to get to the front I think there was more in this car vs Verstappen. But I may be smoking something, I'll post some of the data later when it becomes available.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

organic wrote:
To be honest, Brazil doesn't really seem that bad on paper. If anything, Mexico should have been worse, but Lando still had good enough pace for a podium here.

If we just look at the track map of Brazil :

1-2-3 = Medium-Fast corners
4 = Also a medium-fast
5 = Flat
6-7 = Very fast corners
8 = Medium-slow
9 = Flat coming out of a slow corner
10 = Slowest point in the track
11 = Flat
12 = Medium-speed 90 degree corner, should be good
13-14-15 = Flat

There are only 2 real slow zones in that track. I don't get the pessimism.
In Mexico, the leading part of S2 and S3 is pretty much all slow corners and yet look how well they did here.

I think Brazil, on paper, should be one of the better tracks for this package.
Last edited by Emag on 30 Oct 2023, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:21
This winter is crucial. The team must outdevelop the rest if Mclaren wants to target for a championship right away.
It's unfortunate because I think they've all booked a 3 week lads holiday in the Czech republic. If only you'd have told them this earlier they wouldn't have got the calendars messed up!

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:23
organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:20
mwillems wrote:

But Norris had to work more, in a position where he didn't have to work to get to the front I think there was more in this car vs Verstappen. But I may be smoking something, I'll post some of the data later when it becomes available.
I highly doubt it, Max for sure had a hell of a lot more in the pocket

Ben1980
Ben1980

thestig84 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:22
SilviuAgo wrote:
I still believe Medium for both drivers was an awful decission. Like the one not to give a fresh engine to Lando. As I said after quali...a weekend to forget.
Stuff like this and so many posts have not aged well. Quite a lot on here need to take a second before jumping all in on the team or driver. Well done Mclaren and both drivers, not a perfect weekend but decent operation overall. Enjoyed it
Who knew that the team with all the data had a better idea than random Internet person...shocked.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Emag wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:24
organic wrote:
To be honest, Brazil doesn't really seem that bad on paper. If anything, Mexico should have been worse, but Lando still had good enough pace for a podium here.

4 = Also a medium-fast
5 = Flat
6-7 = Very fast corners
8 = Medium-slow
11 = Flat
13-14-15 = Flat

In Mexico, the leading part of S2 and S3 is pretty much all slow corners and yet look how well they did here.

Honestly, after Lando's great (terrible) prediction about how slow the car would be this weekend, I think we should be aiming for second fastest at every track coming up. We look quick everywhere!!

Darth-Piekus

You like to tease I see :P

mwillems

Emag wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:24
organic wrote:

4 = Also a medium-fast
5 = Flat
6-7 = Very fast corners
8 = Medium-slow
11 = Flat
13-14-15 = Flat

Bad in what context? I think what Singapore, here and even Austin have shown already is that the idea of what this car is capable of has changed. What exactly is this car bad at? As far as I can see it struggles more with front mechanical grip and the platform balance at the front, part of which was mitigated by the Singapore update.

Edit: And the dive on entry, I should add.
Last edited by mwillems on 30 Oct 2023, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:25
thestig84 wrote:
SilviuAgo wrote:
Who knew that the team with all the data had a better idea than random Internet person...shocked.
Who criticised the team, which posts are you referring to here?

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

In the end was a good recovery for Lando. Medium worked better than expected and P5, P8 and Driver of the day is not so bad, although could be better without the errors from quali.

On the other hand, me personaly I am sorry and apologize to McLaren fans from this forum for some bad words agains Yuki. Sorry for that..F1 is a fair play sport.
And I am not happy also for what happened in Mexico. This is not football...

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10068 ... olence-f1/

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:27
Ben1980 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:25
thestig84 wrote:

Who criticised the team, which posts are you referring to here?
The quoted message. About going on mediums being an awful decision.

It's like when the team went for hards in Silverstone. People were moaning, but they know what they are doing.