2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:05
mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:02
FittingMechanics wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 23:45

We'll see. I doubt they would push as hard if they thought the tyres will fall apart.

Team should swap and let Lando try and beat Ricciard. Oscar has damage.
Yeah I was being over cautios. Oscar is in his finishing position.
Lando on a charge.

Are we still terrible in slow corners? Lol Traction issues?? Nope.

Not great, but most certainly not bad.
Yeah, I guess the team did not make a huge mistake by putting them on.

It's a frustrating race. Not sure Landos strategy helped him. His soft run did not really light the world on fire and he didn't really gain a lot by doing it.

Then he loses two positions due to a strategy mistake, then loses 5 on restart.

Great run by Lando to go through the field to P5 but Piastri was frustrating to watch as he was not able to challenge guys ahead of him.
Interesting, I quite liked it. The softs were to get us off the line quick. Then I guess they thought it was two stop, but that the tyres could comfortably do two stops, so to pit earlier means that Mclaren could just overtake 10 people in clean air, which was a great move. The mediums look like they were better than the hards, just like last week. I never heard why but I just assume they cured in the heat and produced a great racing tyres, the durability of the hard with the speed of the medium, if you can manage them, which Oscar couldn't under pressure from Yuki.

All in all, a very exciting race. If Lando had not spun his wheels on the restart he'd be chasing Ferraris now and getting on the podium. But still a tremendous push forward, excellent driving overall.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:07
mwillems wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:04
Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:03
And now watch in two laps how much will he get from the Ferraris.
He's dropping, but not as fast as your predictions 😉
Obviously he doesnt have enough laps to get them but in 2 laps he got 2.5. Nope. Make that 3 seconds in two laps.
If I haven't teased you once per race, I've not done my job.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

3 seconds in 2 laps on a tyre that should have been dead compared to the hard. It's a pity that he made so many mistakes but at least he offered us a great race and he will learn from that occasion.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Do wonder if could have made a podium if stated 8th. But..I'm not that fussed, because that was a fun watch. Loved it.

Marc.W

Stunning driving from Lando today, think he could've been second though if he started better, but still good points over Aston today

elldizzle
elldizzle

super impressed with the pace, was wathcing the lap times all race and Lando was quicker than the ferrari's all race, what could have been!. Awesome too, to see us with good pace on tracks like this!. Piastri really needs to work on his tyre management last stint he was about 0.5 sec a lap slower than Lando.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Ben1980 wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 23:58
Honestly, this has been more fun to watch, than if Lando started 4 and came 2nd or 3rd.
Totally, though I'll be happy if there's another "easy" podium after this :)

No further action on Piastri v Tsunoda. There was a 5+ second gap back to Albon anyway.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:10
3 seconds in 2 laps on a tyre that should have been dead compared to the hard. It's a pity that he made so many mistakes but at least he offered us a great race and he will learn from that occasion.
Well the medium tyre was better than the hard, as I said. We had the same effect this week as last week, the team turned out to have Landos strategy almost perfect except for pitting under the SC, but all in all the team gave Lando the platform to drive very well. He made it hard for himself, and it is frustrating, because he could have been top 3 without the restart and possibly challenging Max for the win had he not have screwed himself over yesterday. But credit where it is due, restart aside he was absolutely fantastic.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:10
Do wonder if could have made a podium if stated 8th. But..I'm not that fussed, because that was a fun watch. Loved it.
I think he would have had a pretty decent shot at it if McLaren swapped them relatively early. Lando lost a lot of time to go back where he started after the restart.

mwillems

I'll add that the way he can get some on track battles in and still manage his tyres in the race is getting up there with Verstappen.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

We are gonna have more chances in the following races.

organic

Should have been a podium with clean qualifying if we go off the last Norris stint. But the races coming up will be good as well - nothing stands out at Brazil as being particularly bad for the car. Not sure about Vegas or Abu Dhabi

mwillems

organic wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:19
Should have been a podium with clean qualifying if we go off the last Norris stint. But the races coming up will be good as well - nothing stands out at Brazil as being particularly bad for the car. Not sure about Vegas or Abu Dhabi
I think he could have fought for the win if not for the mistake yesterday.
Last edited by mwillems on 30 Oct 2023, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Mostlyeels wrote:
30 Oct 2023, 00:14
Ben1980 wrote:
29 Oct 2023, 23:58
Honestly, this has been more fun to watch, than if Lando started 4 and came 2nd or 3rd.
Totally, though I'll be happy if there's another "easy" podium after this :)

No further action on Piastri v Tsunoda. There was a 5+ second gap back to Albon anyway.
I still want the easy podiums..but occasionally this thing is a great watch. More exciting than some of the podium races.

Seerix
Seerix

incredible race by Norris, tough luck on the restart where he got sandwitched and decided to back off to fight from behind instead of crashing
I don't understand how he managed to overtake half of the field and keep those mediums in shape, well done